Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Standard Dave is offline Constable

Dead man's father slams rescue bid

The father of a man who died after he got stuck in a drain during floods has slammed fire services, claiming the rescue bid was botched.

Mike Barnett, 28, became stuck in neck-high water when he got his foot caught in a makeshift metal grille in a storm drain behind the tropical fish importers where he worked, at Astral Close in Hessle, near Hull.

He died of hypothermia after a four-hour rescue attempt on June 25.

Mr Barnett's father, also called Michael, has asked why rescuers did not break or amputate his leg in order to free him. It is reported a police investigation has been launched.

Last week, Geoffrey Claxton, whose son, Andrew, runs Kingston Koi Company where Mr Barnett worked, expressed concern at how the emergency services reacted to the rescue.

He said: "It was quite a while before the firemen came. He was getting weaker and weaker. They didn't have a clue how to get him out. All they needed was a chain and a Land Rover and that would have pulled him out."

Mr Barnett Snr, a retired panel beater, said he was turned away by police at the scene but would have told emergency crews to amputate his son's limb if it meant they could free him. He said: "I would have said do it. Do anything."

He returned home, switched on his television and immediately learned of his son's death. He said: "The television said 'Young man trapped in drain has died'. I just turned the telly off. I didn't want to believe it, but I suppose I knew I had lost him."

He added: "I wish I had been allowed to help. I would have got him out. I would have done anything to save him. I wasn't allowed to go anywhere near and now I will never see him again."

He added: "It has taken me 11 years to get over the death of his mother. What am I going to do without him?"

Independent Television News Limited 2007. All rights reserved.

http://www.virginmedia.com/news/uk/u...toryid=9958519

A chain and a landrover and just pull him out, underwater amputation. I know these people have lost a friend or family member but what planet are they on ?

Standard Dave is offline Constable
    Flooding victim was 'left to die'

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/humber/6272532.stm

The BBC run an almost identifcal article.

Trojan 42 is offline Retired Ninja
    Verified LEO
    I think he does have a point though.
    To be born an Englishman, is to be a winner in the Lottery of Life.

I've Talked the Talk and I've Walked the Walk, now I Sit the Sit!

It's not until you look at an Ant through a magnifying glass on a sunny day, that you realise just how often they burst into flames for no reason!

Pudge is online now Site Admin
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Standard Dave View Post

A chain and a landrover and just pull him out, underwater amputation. I know these people have lost a friend or family member but what planet are they on ?

I'm guessing if they would have had the tools to go underwater and amputate, they would have had the tools to cut the metal grate.
    "Like" us on facebook! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Offic...93147194083228

Follow members of O/R as they tweet a "Ride a long" on their shifts on the front page of the site and on twitter at the following links:

www.twitter.com/PoliceRideAlong
    www.twitter.com/lewisipso
    www.twitter.com/ORgopher
    www.twitter.com/SecondChance122
    www.twitter.com/pojmm
    www.twitter.com/ORGIB

The opinions given in my posts & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Pudge" on Officerresource.com

jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Trojan 42 View Post
    Are you serious??
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

Verified LEO
    Yes I'm serious. I've asked my son, who is a Crew Commander on an Emergency Rescue Unit with the London Fire Brigade, and he is amazed that they couldn't free him. They have breathing apparatus and the appropriate cutting kit for such a rescue. However the Fire Service where the incident occurred may not have.

It's not until you look at an Ant through a magnifying glass on a sunny day, that you realise just how often they burst into flames for no reason!

gozling is offline the gene pool could use a little chlorine
    I sort of wonder why as well.. .considering they just cut off a kids appendage to free him from an auto wreckage here not too long ago...
    I guess if they didnt have the equipment then that is one thing...
    what an awful story.
    http://www.allpoetry.com/Grunts%20Girl

We dallied under
    Vine maples and sapling alders
    Searched for lady slippers
    But instead
    Found blackberry riots and
    Desiccated branches

An old skid road
    Brought ghost ferns and
    Hollows filled with
    Skunk cabbage
    While waves wrapped
    Intricate lacings of weeds
    'Round mule spinners

His cyanotic eyes
    Were hard enough to make
    The sun turn tail and
    Tender enough to attract me
    To his world of illusion

Verified LEO
    Looking at the depth of the water on the latest reports, my son came up with the following. Sandbag around the victim, cover them with waterproof material, pump the water out of the area, let medics deal with keeping the victim warm, cut the grill or jack it open, remove victim. No special kit needed, other than what is carried on the Appliance.

Cst.SB is offline Officer First Class
    The object of the game is to save the life is it not. Dead is dead, it's the worst sate of health there is. It's a lot worse than a bad amputation.

Last summer we had a surgeon on route to take a 17 girls leg off above the knee, because the FD couldn't extract her and she was real bad shape and wasn't going to make it if her other injuries weren't taken care of. Lucky for her, though I don't know if she kept the leg in the end, but the FD got her out just as the surgeon was arriving on scene.

Amputations happen, people get stuck and sometimes it's remove the limb or they die of shock. In this case, unless the guy was going to grow some gills, the outcome was pretty obvious - cut him out one way or another, or he's going to die.

213th is online now Solipsist
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Looking at the depth of the water on the latest reports, my son came up with the following. Sandbag around the victim, cover them with waterproof material, pump the water out of the area, let medics deal with keeping the victim warm, cut the grill or jack it open, remove victim. No special kit needed, other than what is carried on the Appliance.
    That yes.

But amputating or breaking a leg? That is not an EMS procedure. Never. Amputating could be done by a surgeon, if available, but at least in Alaska, we are taught never ever for amputating or delibaretly causing harm (like breaking a bone).

The dad is off his rocker. Landrover and a chain??? He'd be suing the FD if they did that.
    He who has the money, signs the cheques.
    He who signs the cheques, makes the rules.
    He who makes the rules, has the power.
    He who has the power, has the money.

BEB
    BEB is offline Banned
    I'm trying to find a picture of this grate.

Better phrasing for what he meant to do with a Land Rover :
    He believes his son's life could have been saved by pulling off the grate using a Land Rover. He would also have approved the amputation of his son's leg, an option which was discussed by rescue services.
    http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/news/arc...dying_man.html

Video of the rescue attempt here:
    http://news.sky.com/skynews/video/vi...273762,00.html
    Doesn't show the grate, but it sets the scene much better.

Quote Originally Posted by 213th View Post
    That yes.

But amputating or breaking a leg? That is not an EMS procedure. Never. Amputating could be done by a surgeon, if available, but at least in Alaska, we are taught never ever for amputating or delibaretly causing harm (like breaking a bone).

The dad is off his rocker. Landrover and a chain??? He'd be suing the FD if they did that.
    So here is the question - would you have just stood by and let him die because of a procedure?

Quote Originally Posted by BEB View Post
    I'm trying to find a picture of this grate.

Better phrasing for what he meant to do with a Land Rover :

http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/news/arc...dying_man.html

Video of the rescue attempt here:
    http://news.sky.com/skynews/video/vi...273762,00.html
    Doesn't show the grate, but it sets the scene much better.
    Sad, though 4 hours of trying to get him out, is hardly "leaving him there to die", and the victim's father suggested.

And it sounds like they were on track to amputate the leg but he died before they could.

Looks to me like they above and beyond the call of duty.

Beans is offline Street Cop
    Verified LEO
    What have you been putting in your tea lately?
    The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Beans" on LEF.

Verified LEO
    Milk

213th is online now Solipsist
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Quote Originally Posted by Cst.SB View Post
    So here is the question - would you have just stood by and let him die because of a procedure?
    That is something that I truly don't think I can answer without being in their position. The logical part of me says No, not trained or permitted to. The...emotional for lack of a better word, says Yes, deal with the fall out later.

But I certainly don't think that someone can be blamed for taking the first choice and not doing it. I know with how far I am from a hospital, amputating someone's leg would probably be just as likely to cause death as any situation that I will run into that would cause such a dillema.
    He who has the money, signs the cheques.
    He who signs the cheques, makes the rules.
    He who makes the rules, has the power.
    He who has the power, has the money.

conalabu is offline Grasshopper
    Verified LEO
    This is bad karma. We all know better than to sit here and kibitz about other guys doing their job by reading a freaking media report. No medic or firemen is going to just "stand-by" and "let" someone die. To say that they did is utter and total bullshit. I have no passion for hose draggers, but come on. These guys are no less trained than LEO, in most cases. For EMS, most of the time they go through more training.
    And Shepards we shall be,
    for thee, My Lord, for thee,
    Power hath descended forth from Thy hand,
    That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy Command.
    So we shall flow a river forth to Thee
    And teeming with souls will it ever be.
    In Nomine Patris, Et Filli, Et Spiritus Sancti.

That is something that I truly don't think I can answer without being in their position. The logical part of me says No, not trained or permitted to. The...emotional for lack of a better word, says Yes, deal with the fall out later.

But I certainly don't think that someone can be blamed for taking the first choice and not doing it. I know with how far I am from a hospital, amputating someone's leg would probably be just as likely to cause death as any situation that I will run into that would cause such a dillema.

Just so we're clear, I'm not taking a piss out of you... k But, I'm going to push you a little on this one..

If the end result is going to be death, and you kill the guy while trying to save him, did you make things worse? Again, dead is dead.

Hopefully few of us have to make that decision in our careers. But here is the scary part, we all have to live with the decisions we make.

I rather have failed or fucked up while trying to do something rather than, having not done anything, or the thing that was needed to be done.

You're a military guy, and there is a reason for it, it's because you that probably can't sit in an assembly line. Cops, soldiers, fire fighters, paramedics, are cut from a similar cloth. We want to "serve". Sure we want the shits and giggles, but the bottom line is we all got into the work to help people, and letting someone die because it would be against "procedure" isn't something most of us, including you would probably do.

You're in a remote place, so cutting his leg off would have killed him, so that's out. The result is death, and dead is dead. So, the best option would have been to keep working on getting him out and protecting him from shock.

But if you were a peace keeping in Rwanda with a "don't shoot until you are shot at" policy, would you shoot the Tutsi rebels as the raped and murdered a Hutu woman in front of your eyes? Or would you let policy dictate how you're going to feel about yourself for the rest of your life.

Some Canadian soldiers let the above that happen - cause the just followed orders are fucked up and will be for the rest of their lives. (The General that lead them became suicidal and went missing days and was found sleeping on a park bench in Ottawa, because the whole mission was fucked) Later when they were interviewed, all of them said it wasn't worth it. Whatever the consequences were, nothing would have been worse than having to live with the guilt of not doing what needed to be done.

So, I was going to ask you once again if you would let someone die because of a procedure or policy, but forget it, I know you wouldn't.

Willowdared is offline Bendy not Breaky
    No one has mentioned....

Mike Barnett, 28, became stuck in neck-high water when he got his foot caught in a makeshift metal grille in a storm drain behind the tropical fish importers where he worked
    What role did the grate play in this? Makeshift sounds jury rigged to me, was it installed by the city, or is there more to the story. What are the mechanics of his being stuck, and how did he end up back there anyway?

Seems like they were working in very bad conditions....deep, cold, and fast moving water...it's pretty easy to second guess from the comfort of a warm dry sofa.

And while the father gave permission for an amputation, what if his son vehemently protested? Can you cut off a leg, to save a life, if the person is saying no?
    Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

Do not puff, shade, skew, tailor, firm up, stretch, massage,
    or otherwise distort statements of fact.
    FBI Special Agent Coleen Rowley

Willowdared is offline Bendy not Breaky

Hey 213th, anyone die on the mud flats since you've been there?

There are some notorious mud flats on the Turnagan arm that have claimed a few lives in Alaska, it's been a challenge for rescuers.

The tide pulls all the way out, and people walk out, only to be stuck in mud resembling quick dry cement. This is way beyond quick sand conditions. They've even used high pressure fire hoses to try to blast people free before the tide comes back in and they drown.

Someone died each of the two summers I was there.
    Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

Do not puff, shade, skew, tailor, firm up, stretch, massage,
    or otherwise distort statements of fact.
    FBI Special Agent Coleen Rowley

Thread Information