Welcome to the APBWeb.

View Poll Results: Should this man have failed the bar exam for refusing to answer this question?

Voters
19. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

4 21.05%
  • Yes, he should have just kept his personal beliefs to himself and answered the question

14 73.68%
  • No

0 0%
  • No, the test violated his rights

1 5.26%
    Terminator is offline BANNED

Man who failed the bar exam because he refused to answer gay marriage question is now suing, claiming the test violates his rights

BOSTON -- A man who failed the Massachusetts bar exam because he refused to answer a question about gay marriage has filed a federal lawsuit, claiming the test violated his rights and that his religious beliefs were targeted.

Stephen Dunne, 30, of Boston, is seeking $9.75 million in the suit against the Massachusetts Board of Bar Examiners and the Massachusetts Supreme Judicial Court. He was denied a license to practice law in May after scoring 268.866 on the exam, just shy of the 270 passing grade.

Dunne, who is representing himself in the case, refused to answer a question addressing the rights of two married lesbians, their children and their property, and claims in the suit that it cost him a passing score.

In the suit, Dunne's called the question "morally repugnant and patently offensive," and said he refused to answer it because he believed it legitimized same-sex marriage and same-sex parenting, which is contrary to his moral beliefs.

Dunne claims the Massachusetts state government is "purposely-advancing Secular Humanism's homosexual agenda."

The "disguised mechanism to screen applicants according to their political ideology has the discriminatory impact of persecuting and oppressing (Dunne's) sincere religious practices and beliefs" protected by the First Amendment, and was "invasive and burdensome," according to the lawsuit filed in June.

The suit also challenges the constitutionality of same-sex marriage, which was legalized in Massachusetts in 2003.

Dunne could not immediately be reached by the Associated Press for comment. He told the Boston Herald he has a law degree from a Boston law school, and is currently attending a Boston business school.

He said the bar exam is not the place for questions about same-sex marriage.

"There's a different forum for that contemporary issue to be discussed, and it's inappropriate to be on a professional licensing examination," Dunne told the Herald. "You don't see questions about partial-birth abortion or abortion on there."

The Massachusetts Board of Bar Examiners and the Massachusetts Supreme Judicial Court declined to comment.

Buttercup is offline Thrives in sunshine
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    I wonder if that was the only question that chose not to answer, or if there were questions that he answered incorrectly.

If the test questions have defined right and wrong answers (based on Massachusetts laws) as opposed to subjective answers, then his failure to answer one of the questions (regardless of the content of the questions) should absolutely count against him.

Asking a potential lawyer for a legal response to the rights of persons involved in gay marriage does not condone or castigate gay marriage, IMO.

conalabu is offline Grasshopper
    Verified LEO
    Attorney's, like us, have to put aside personal belief and do the job they are given. There are some laws I don't like, but it does not mean I will not enforce them or not do my duty.
    And Shepards we shall be,
    for thee, My Lord, for thee,
    Power hath descended forth from Thy hand,
    That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy Command.
    So we shall flow a river forth to Thee
    And teeming with souls will it ever be.
    In Nomine Patris, Et Filli, Et Spiritus Sancti.

Cidp24 is offline Tempus Fugit
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by conalabu View Post
    Attorney's, like us, have to put aside personal belief and do the job they are given. There are some laws I don't like, but it does not mean I will not enforce them or not do my duty.
    +1

He can refuse to deal with such matters after he gets his license but he should know the law regardless of his beliefs.
    I dont believe in domestic violence and it is morally repugnant to me but I have to know the law.
    "It wouldn't take much for me to up and run...
    to another life somewhere in the sun."
    "There's something inherently wrong with having to put on a bullet-proof vest and a gun to go to work."-(An old friend)

Any statements or opinions given in my postings or profile do not reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employer or anyone else other than me. They are my personal opinions or statements only, thereby releasing my employer , any other entity, or any other person of any liability or involvement in anything posted under the username "Cidp24" on O/R.

Ianl6 is offline Dreamboy First Class
    Quote Originally Posted by conalabu View Post

+2 the test might have had questions that other people might find offensive but tests like that are covering a broad spectrum of things and should be ALL answered.
    Public conscience message board
    post on a board with a heart.

http://dreamboyuk52.proboards60.com/index.cgi

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Aww. Poor little attorney wants to go to trial only on certain laws. There's always the bagger position at the local grocery store.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

gozling is offline the gene pool could use a little chlorine
    truely a masshole.
    http://www.allpoetry.com/Grunts%20Girl

We dallied under
    Vine maples and sapling alders
    Searched for lady slippers
    But instead
    Found blackberry riots and
    Desiccated branches

An old skid road
    Brought ghost ferns and
    Hollows filled with
    Skunk cabbage
    While waves wrapped
    Intricate lacings of weeds
    'Round mule spinners

His cyanotic eyes
    Were hard enough to make
    The sun turn tail and
    Tender enough to attract me
    To his world of illusion

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    No one fails a test just for not answering one question. Instead of wasting his time on a lawsuit, he should spend it studying so he can get all the other questions right.

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Holy shit... I agree with Jenna!

Oh, wait, ok, I'm not the one changing. Jenna's just being Bearified.
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

Crimebytes2 is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Ducky View Post
    Holy shit... I agree with Jenna!

Oh, wait, ok, I'm not the one changing. Jenna's just being Bearified.
    + 10

I just gave you a high-five, Ducky!

Thread Information