Welcome to the APBWeb.
    MisterK is offline Monkey Man

Australian whale vomit find worth a fortune

SYDNEY (AFP) - A family on the south Australian coast found a piece of whale vomit on the beach that is tipped to be worth hundreds of thousands of dollars, national radio reported.
    ADVERTISEMENT
    click here

The chunk of ambergris, which is sought after by perfume manufacturers, weighed 14.75 kilograms (32 pounds) and is worth about 20 US dollars per gram, ABC radio said -- making a total of 295,000 dollars.

Fisherman Leon Wright and his wife Loralee found the ambergris, which sperm whales are believed to vomit to rid their intestines of hard objects such as squid beaks, on a remote beach near Streaky Bay.

Loralee was reluctant to accept her husband's suggestion that they throw the mysterious, solid, fatty object into the back of her four-wheel-drive vehicle, so they left it there, said local marine expert Ken Jury.

Two weeks later, travelling in Leon's vehicle, they discovered that it was still there and took it home, Jury, who is advising the family, told AFP.

Ambergris, which floats after being vomited by the whales, is a rare find and has to a large extent been replaced in the fragrance industry by synthetics.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20060124...t_060124062738
    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft. -
    Theodore Roosevelt

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

lesta311 is offline Evil is my business.......
    I didn't know whale vomit was that valuable. Anyone up for a beach trip?

Indy Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterK
    The chunk of ambergris, which is sought after by perfume manufacturers...
    Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwww I wonder if these people that buy this know what they are wearing!

Two weeks later, travelling in Leon's vehicle, they discovered that it was still there and took it home, Jury, who is advising the family, told AFP.
    ....WHY on earth would you do that? They did not appear to realize it's value! So not only are we talking about a blob of whale barf, we are talking about whale barf that has been sitting on the beach for TWO WEEKS!!

jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Indy
    ....WHY on earth would you do that? They did not appear to realize it's value! So not only are we talking about a blob of whale barf, we are talking about whale barf that has been sitting on the beach for TWO WEEKS!!

Eewww.....moldy whale barf.
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

Cheech Guest
    If its worth 295,000$ I will rub that barf on me! I dont care!! I dont care if it was shit, I would pick it up with my hands and hand deliver it to whoever wanted to buy it for 295,000$!!! You know how many hookers you can buy with that?!

MisterK is offline Monkey Man
    Hmmm.. 295,000 $1 hookers or 1 $295,000 hooker...
    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft. -
    Theodore Roosevelt

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Indy Guest
    Hmmm.. 295,000 $1 hookers or 1 $295,000 hooker...
    Or 295,000 junior bacon cheeseburgers!

My point earlier was that these people apparently had no CLUE that the barf blob was valuable. So why would they scoop it up?

Cheech Guest
    Yeah thats true....

but all those bacon cheeseburgers will make you fat. Then you cant get hookers cause your fat.

Indy Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Lasvegasog
    Then you cant get hookers cause your fat.
    No but you can get all sorts of other exciting things from them...

Cheech Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Indy
    No but you can get all sorts of other exciting things from them...
    Really ? Damn I never get anything cool from them . Just this burning sensation from when I pee.

Indy Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Lasvegasog
    Really ? Damn I never get anything cool from them . Just this burning sensation from when I pee.
    Exactly...

Thread Information