Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Indy Guest

Whale dies during dramatic rescue bid

Awwwww

LONDON (Reuters) The northern bottle-nosed whale that made world headlines when it strayed into the River Thames two days ago died on Saturday as rescuers were trying to rush it to safety aboard a barge.

Rescue teams had hoped the adolescent 18-foot whale could be returned to the open seas but it died suddenly after its health took a turn for the worse.

"I am afraid it had a convulsion and died at 1900 hours," Tony Woodley of British Divers Marine Life Rescue told Reuters.

The whale captured the hearts of the nation during live television coverage of every twist and turn in the saga, and huge crowds lining the river banks burst into applause as the elaborate rescue operation got under way on Saturday afternoon.

It was first time since records began in 1913 that a whale had been seen so far upstream.

As the barge sped towards open waters 40 miles downstream, volunteers poured water onto the whale to keep its skin damp.

But time was always going to be crucial because the whale's body is not designed to bear its own weight and it was feared it might suffocate if kept out of the water too long.

The whale, one of the world's deepest diving mammals that usually travels in groups, triggered international interest when it was first spotted near the Houses of Parliament.

Experts speculated that it was so far from its natural environment because it was either very ill, had got lost chasing food or had been driven from its usual habitat by military testing or loud sonar.

Another northern bottle-nosed whale was seen on Friday in the Thames estuary, and on Saturday the body of a dead harbour porpoise was found upstream at Putney.

Unsuccessful attempts had been made during the night to encourage the Thames whale to swim back downriver.

At one stage it was spotted as far downstream as Greenwich, but it returned upstream to what appeared to be its preferred spot between Chelsea and Albert Bridges.

Although it was the first time a whale had been spotted so far up the river, sightings of seals and dolphins have risen steadily further downstream over the past five years as the water quality has improved.

Source: http://search.yahoo.com/bin/search?p...omit%20fortune

jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    That's to bad
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

Cheech Guest
    Whats up with these whale threads?!

I dont need to hear about whales on a police forum!! I free willy every day!

Indy Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Lasvegasog
    Whats up with these whale threads?!
    Hey...I'm an animal nut, I post here daily...once in awhile ya'll will have to suffer through my bleeding heart for animals and read a thread about them....

Cheech Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Indy
    Hey...I'm an animal nut, I post here daily...once in awhile ya'll will have to suffer through my bleeding heart for animals and read a thread about them....
    So do you disagree with dying a dogs hair different colors?

Indy Guest
    So do you disagree with dying a dogs hair different colors?
    I said an animal nut, not a member of PETA.

If its dye that doesn't hurt the dog, go for it. I know someone who dyed her yorkie bright orange and won a halloween costume contest with him. He was a pumpkin and very very cute.

Cheech Guest
    I said an animal nut, not a member of PETA.

If its dye that doesn't hurt the dog, go for it. I know someone who dyed her yorkie bright orange and won a halloween costume contest with him. He was a pumpkin and very very cute.
    I take my girlfriends dog to get dyed. Ive been cussed at and told off. I guess they think its animal cruelty...

Indy Guest
    I take my girlfriends dog to get dyed. Ive been cussed at and told off. I guess they think its animal cruelty...
    Dog doesn't give two sh*ts what color he is...like I said, if it's not hurting him I have no problem with it.

Having said that, I think you're a little weird for dying him on a regular basis. I thought you meant an occasional time...

Cheech Guest
    Dog doesn't give two sh*ts what color he is...like I said, if it's not hurting him I have no problem with it.

Having said that, I think you're a little weird for dying him on a regular basis. I thought you meant an occasional time...
    Once every 4 months. Thats not occasional. It scores brownie points. so relax.

Iron Man is offline Don't Tase me bro!
    I don't give a rat's ass about a whale... Maybe I'm cold hearted...

Indy Guest
    Once every 4 months.

I am totally relaxed thank you.

Just out of curiosity, what color are you dying him?

Cheech Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by ThisGlock40
    I don't give a rat's ass about a whale... Maybe I'm cold hearted...
    Its cause your jealous of them

Iron Man is offline Don't Tase me bro!
    haha!

Indy Guest
    I'm almost positive I read that that's photoshopped.

Cheech Guest
    Spermwhales have half ton balls

Thread Information