Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Terminator is offline BANNED

Study finds nearly two-thirds of college students have been sexually harassed

BOSTON -- Nearly two-thirds of college students have experienced sexual harassment at some point during college, according to a report released Tuesday by the American Association of University Women Educational Foundation.
    Sixty-two percent of undergraduate students said that they have encountered some type of sexual harassment, and nearly one-third of students said that the harassment was physical -- such as being touched, grabbed or pinched, the study found.
    "Most students are experiencing non-contact forms of sexual harassment -- jokes, gestures, remarks, homophobic name-calling, flashing and mooning are examples of that," AAUW Director of Research Elena Silva said.
    Only 7 percent of the students said that they reported the sexual harassment to a faculty member or other college employee. "Female students are particularly troubled by sexual harassment. They are upset, embarrassed, angered and scared by these experiences. But, it's rare that they actually report harassment to a college official," AAUW President Barbara O'Connor said.
    The study was conducted for a three-week period in May 2005, and 2,036 undergraduates ages 18 to 24 were polled.
    The foundation announced a harassment program at 11 colleges in Florida, Georgia, Indiana, Louisiana, Mississippi, New York, Ohio, Oregon, Pennsylvania and Texas.

MisterK is offline Monkey Man
    I have the sneaking suspicion that their definition of harrassment includes being looked at on the street and having doors held for them.
    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft. -
    Theodore Roosevelt

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Einstein is offline Officer First Class
    Well I guess I have been harassed while at varsity, but since the girls doing the harassing were real hot, I never complained. I don't think I have any scars, most healed in three to four weeks.
    Servamus et Servimus........"To Serve and Protect"

MountainCop Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterK
    I have the sneaking suspicion that their definition of harrassment includes being looked at on the street and having doors held for them.
    Agreed - I've been accused of it at work. Funny thing though, that during the alleged incidents, I was on travel and not even in contact with this person. And I had no contact with her before or after, either.

Most of the charges made are extremely bogus, and made by people who have a corncob stuck up their ass.

kdm0409 is offline ^ Female Deputy
    I worked at a college for 5 years (all at the pd) 4 years of it I was an officer... there is no telling how many damn reports I took over the perverts whacking off in their cars. Of course they would wait on a girl to walk by the car and they would start going at it... Or they would sit with their door open and start doing the knuckle shuffle on the piss pump...

I had to "pose" as a college student, which was easy since I was a college student and an officer to catch some of these guys... During our little outings I think we caught 4 of the guys that had been reported several times... Then we had to go through their car subject to arrest.. that was sooooo freakin nasty!!!
    It is better to be tried by 12, than carried by 6.
    ______________________________ __________
    An invisible red thread connects those who are destined to meet, regardless of time, place, or circumstance. The thread may stretch or tangle, but will never break.
    In vino veritas!

MountainCop Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by kdm0409
    I worked at a college for 5 years (all at the pd) 4 years of it I was an officer... there is no telling how many damn reports I took over the perverts whacking off in their cars. Of course they would wait on a girl to walk by the car and they would start going at it... Or they would sit with their door open and start doing the knuckle shuffle on the piss pump...

I had to "pose" as a college student, which was easy since I was a college student and an officer to catch some of these guys... During our little outings I think we caught 4 of the guys that had been reported several times... Then we had to go through their car subject to arrest.. that was sooooo freakin nasty!!!
    Damn! Busting those perverts would be a pleasure for me.

Not so the search...

Bio-hazard suit anyone???

It was so much fun being able to bust those guys...

The search...well I tried my hardest to make the other officers search, but they wouldn't....

I went through so many latex gloves and hand sanitizer....ewww!!!!
    An invisible red thread connects those who are destined to meet, regardless of time, place, or circumstance. The thread may stretch or tangle, but will never break.
    In vino veritas!

Ken K is offline Banned
    Now I am really confused. I thought it was sexual harassment if I masturbated in front of a female employee. Anyone else was fair game.

MountainCop Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken K
    Now I am really confused. I thought it was sexual harassment if I masturbated in front of a female employee. Anyone else was fair game.
    Only if the female bitches about it...

Quote Originally Posted by MountainCop
    Only if the female bitches about it...

I thought it was only considered sexual harassment if it was "unwanted"

lol
    In vino veritas!

MountainCop Guest
    I thought it was only considered sexual harassment if it was "unwanted"
    lol
    Supposedly - then again, there have been cases where they have 'changed their minds'. Kobe Bryant?

And understand too - there are valid cases of male/female harassment, female/male harassment, and same gender sexual harassment.

Quote Originally Posted by MountainCop
    Supposedly - then again, there have been cases where they have 'changed their minds'. Kobe Bryant?

And understand too - there are valid cases of male/female harassment, female/male harassment, and same gender sexual harassment.

I am shocked that I did not get filed against lol.. when I worked at the campus we were all close and I joked around like the guys and with the guys.. but thats just me.. I only had to tell 1 officer (freak!!! that no one liked and was never around when we were joking and cutting up) that he had stepped across the line once and that if he did it again I would take care of things one way or another.. He never pushed the limit again...

But I will tell you this.. If a female were to start saying shit, or touching me, or anything like that... oh hell no.... that is just not right and I am not at all comfortable with it.. they would get their warning too, but then 2nd time it's on and I would do whatever I had to do to take care of the issue...

thats just me and my opinion!!
    In vino veritas!

MountainCop Guest
    I am shocked that I did not get filed against lol.. when I worked at the campus we were all close and I joked around like the guys and with the guys.. but thats just me.. I only had to tell 1 officer (freak!!! that no one liked and was never around when we were joking and cutting up) that he had stepped across the line once and that if he did it again I would take care of things one way or another.. He never pushed the limit again...

But I will tell you this.. If a female were to start saying shit, or touching me, or anything like that... oh hell no.... that is just not right and I am not at all comfortable with it.. they would get their warning too, but then 2nd time it's on and I would do whatever I had to do to take care of the issue...

thats just me and my opinion!!
    And a very valid one! Yeah, there's a line that when crossed, people make very evident. Personally, I avoid it. It's just not worth it.

There was this one officer that had heard about one of my tattoos and of course the jokes were on about it..

The tat is a tribal looking tiger, only black ink, climbing up my left outer thigh...well the jokes ended up being things like "Kim's has a tiger in her pants" "here kitty kitty kitty" "I've got a tiger by the tail." etc etc etc

anyways, this one officer would not stop asking about seeing the tat... there were certain officers that I wanted to show it to 'evil grin' lol .....but then the one that kept asking was a freak and I did not want him to see....so he started with the jokes, telling officers he had seen my "cat" and all this crap... he took it way too far... pissed me off, but then I left that dept, so I dont have to see him again!!
    In vino veritas!

MountainCop Guest
    yeah, that is over the line. With a friend, maybe one or two funny comments (and without the obscenities) and that would be it. When it gets insulting, that's when it needs to stop. I don't tolerate disrespect and rude.

Ah, the difficulties in being a gentleman <grin!!!>

some of the comments I did not mine b/c the tiger is on my leg, so it would be considered in my pants....so i give the guys credit for coming up with that one, but the ones that were more vulgar pissed me off...ya dont piss off a woman with a gun...especially if she knows how to use it and aims low on purpose lol
    In vino veritas!

Einstein is offline Officer First Class
    Everything has limits, becoming rude and vulgar crosses the line and is not right.
    Servamus et Servimus........"To Serve and Protect"

MountainCop Guest
    some of the comments I did not mine b/c the tiger is on my leg, so it would be considered in my pants....so i give the guys credit for coming up with that one, but the ones that were more vulgar pissed me off...ya dont piss off a woman with a gun...especially if she knows how to use it and aims low on purpose lol
    Yeah, that keeps my spouse and me in line - she has the combo to the gun safe, and is going for a carry permit...<sigh...>

but I gave her a semi-autoversion of the Thompson .45 sub-machine gun for her birthday one year, so it's my own fault

lol... I was given a 20 gauge shot gun, 243 rifle, and a little 22 rifle for christmas... my hunting guns !!! (yeah im a redneck!!!)
    In vino veritas!

MountainCop Guest
    lol... I was given a 20 gauge shot gun, 243 rifle, and a little 22 rifle for christmas... my hunting guns !!! (yeah im a redneck!!!)
    Nothin' wrong with that! But those .22s hurt!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information