Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Vendetta is offline Today, We are All Hokies
    Verified LEO

Stealing Copper isnt always Easy

Ok man and stepfather decide to still copper. Line is still hot. Both burned, one dies. Mother says he was just trying to provide for his family.

'A dance with the devil'
    Donna Bakaitis said her son died trying to feed his family.
    By Shawna Morrison
    381-1665

To Donna Bakaitis, her oldest son didn't die trying to steal copper wire from the Radford Foundry. Instead, she said, he died while doing his best to try to provide for his family, something he had done since he was a teenager.

Christopher Brandon Goad, 24, died shortly after 8 p.m. Sunday at the DeCamp Burn Center at the University of Virginia Health Sciences Center in Charlottesville.

Burned everywhere except his feet Thursday, he clung to life for more than eight hours after being removed from life support about noon Sunday, his family said.

Goad and his stepfather, Stephen Edward Bakaitis, 46, were both severely burned during what police are calling a break-in that went terribly wrong. Donna Bakaitis said Goad used a hacksaw to cut into a live 4,160-vote foundry wire early Thursday morning.

She believes her husband was hurt trying to help Goad. She said she knew of her husband's and son's plan to break into the foundry, and they had assured her that, because the foundry had been closed for three years, there would be no live wires there.

Stephen Bakaitis, called Steve by friends and family, was listed in serious condition at the burn center Monday afternoon. He has a breathing tube and can't talk, Donna Bakaitis said.

But family members believe they've figured out what happened based on his injuries.

Steve Bakaitis suffered severe burns to his right arm and left hand, which was so severely damaged he may never regain use of it, his wife said.

"I believe Steve tried to grab Chris" and pull him off the flaming wire, she said.

Deciding to take her son off life support was the hardest thing she's ever had to do, Donna Bakaitis said, but she said he essentially died on the foundry's roof.

"God works miracles, but he was taking Chris home," she said.

Doctors said Chris Goad would have needed at least 30 skin-graft surgeries to survive, said his uncle, Thomas Goad.

Even then, he said, he likely would have been blind and wouldn't have been able to talk because his lungs were severely damaged when he inhaled the fire. He wouldn't have been able to walk. And the risk of infection would have been so great he wouldn't have been able to hold his soon-to-be-born child, his mother said.

Chris Goad was always a family man, Donna Bakaitis said. He and his girlfriend, Teresa "T.C." Cole, have a 2-year-old son, Christian Keith Goad, and a daughter, Grace Alize Cole, who turns 4 today.

"That boy of mine had a heart of gold," Donna Bakaitis said. "He loved his children beyond belief."

The young family shared a small Radford apartment with Steve and Donna Bakaitis and their son, Stephen Paul Bakaitis, who's 21.

"We were cramped but happy," Donna Bakaitis said.

Chris Goad raised the younger Stephen Bakaitis and his brother Josh Bakaitis, who is now 19 and lives in Waynesboro.

Growing up, they lived for several years with their grandmother, who was disabled. Chris Goad, just a few years older than his brothers, did the cooking and cleaning and made sure Stephen and Josh got to school, his family said.

"He was a good man," Thomas Goad said. "He was a hard-working man even from a young age when he took on the responsibility of raising his two little brothers."

Somehow Chris Goad managed to maintain a positive outlook, his brother said.

"He was always enthusiastic about life, always positive," Josh Bakaitis said. "Just a selfless type. He would do anything for his kids, obviously," he said, referring to the incident at the foundry.

Donna Bakaitis got news of her son's and husband's injuries while she was in the New River Valley Regional Jail in Dublin, where she is serving a yearlong sentence for driving as a habitual offender. She was released from the jail at 5 p.m. Friday, the day after her son and husband were hurt. She must return at 6 p.m. Saturday.

When she got the news, she said, other women in the jail rallied around her for support "but I wasn't with my family."

Stephen Paul Bakaitis, Goad's half-brother, is incarcerated at the regional jail on breaking and entering and theft charges. He has a preliminary hearing on the charges scheduled for September.

He is hoping to be temporarily released to attend his brother's funeral, his mother said. Funeral arrangements have not yet been made.

Donna Bakaitis is trying to get an extension on her own release from jail so she can be with her husband as he recovers while grieving the loss of his stepson, she said.

"He's not out of the woods yet," she said. "He could get an infection. He could die."

In addition to the burns to his hand and arm, Donna Bakaitis said, Steve Bakaitis suffered severe burns to one leg and to his face. His eyelashes, eyebrows and moustache are all gone, his wife said.

"He can't talk or anything," Josh Bakaitis said. "He can understand your questions," attempting to nod in response on a good day.

Sobbing over the telephone, Donna Bakaitis talked about the closeness of her family.

"We didn't want to lose each other this way," she said.

Thomas Goad said his nephew had tried to find a job but had no luck. Chris Goad was smart, he said, but never finished high school.

"It's hard to get work down there," Josh Bakaitis said, explaining that he moved to Waynesboro from the New River Valley to find work.

"They didn't have a whole lot of options. No options," Thomas Goad said. "It's a day-to-day struggle just to maintain life for these two gentlemen and their children."

Breaking into the foundry, he said, "wasn't a selfish act. It was just a last-ditch effort to try to put something on the table for his kids."

http://www.roanoke.com/news/nrv/wb/124561
    "And don't go home, and don't go to eat, and don't play with yourself. It wouldn't look nice on my highway", Buford T. Justice

#1 Rule in Police: Sometimes its easier to ask Forgiveness than it is to ask Permission

No one knows what it's like
    To be the bad man
    To be the sad man
    Behind blue eyes

gozling is offline the gene pool could use a little chlorine
    there is just so much to poke at in this... that i just cant go there...

i think i would go to hell for some sort of violation of making fun of the dead or something awful like that....

i wonder if they have cable tv and stuff...
    http://www.allpoetry.com/Grunts%20Girl

We dallied under
    Vine maples and sapling alders
    Searched for lady slippers
    But instead
    Found blackberry riots and
    Desiccated branches

An old skid road
    Brought ghost ferns and
    Hollows filled with
    Skunk cabbage
    While waves wrapped
    Intricate lacings of weeds
    'Round mule spinners

His cyanotic eyes
    Were hard enough to make
    The sun turn tail and
    Tender enough to attract me
    To his world of illusion

Crimebytes2 is offline Banned
    We have freedom of choice; not freedom of consequence.

Cheech Guest
    I'm on my phone so I barely read he died supporting his family.....

bullshit. he died supporting his meth habit.

99.9 percent of copper thieves are meth addicts.

Crimebytes2 is offline Banned
    What was it Mommy said?

"That boy of mine had a heart of gold," Donna Bakaitis said.

Yeah, right! Ignorance is no excuse.

TXPO710 is offline Dumb ole' Cowboy
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Crimebytes2 View Post
    What was it Mommy said?
    "That boy of mine had a heart of gold," Donna Bakaitis said.
    Obviously, gold conducts electricity. sorry, couldn't resist.

Lo523 is offline Master Officer
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    +1 to what Gozling said! Hmmm classy family!
    Never approach a bull by the front, a horse from behind, or an idiot from any direction.

BEB
    BEB is offline Banned
    Yeah, in retrospect, getting a job might have been a better plan.

snuffy2202 is offline JUST ANOTHER TEQUILA SUNRISE
    Verified LEO
    Now, if only our copper thieves could cut into a live wire. We would get rid of most of our crime. Sounds good to me!

Willowdared is offline Bendy not Breaky
    Looks like crime and stupidity run in that family.
    Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

Do not puff, shade, skew, tailor, firm up, stretch, massage,
    or otherwise distort statements of fact.
    FBI Special Agent Coleen Rowley

sgtbear111 is offline retired
    Verified LEO
    Copper wire theft sounds like a tweaker. Some lawyer is probably working on their application for local hero, by means of someone else's deep pockets. Not worth a dime to their "family" until they get zapped.
    Some people come into our lives and quickly go. Some stay for awhile and leave footprints on our hearts. And we are never, ever the same.-- Anonymous

Old People, like me, may not be around to witness the destruction of our Nation. The rest of you may not survive the collapse. We all have the sworn duty to prevent it.

The light of hope burns brighter than the fires of doom.

Vendetta is offline Today, We are All Hokies
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheech View Post
    I'm on my phone so I barely read he died supporting his family.....

bullshit. he died supporting his meth habit.

99.9 percent of copper thieves are meth addicts.

Dude, here methheads can smell copper a mile away. Them bastards are like beagles running around with the noses on the ground.
    "And don't go home, and don't go to eat, and don't play with yourself. It wouldn't look nice on my highway", Buford T. Justice

#1 Rule in Police: Sometimes its easier to ask Forgiveness than it is to ask Permission

No one knows what it's like
    To be the bad man
    To be the sad man
    Behind blue eyes

Willowdared is offline Bendy not Breaky
    We recently had a guy busted for stealing bronze flower urns out of a cemetery.
    Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

Do not puff, shade, skew, tailor, firm up, stretch, massage,
    or otherwise distort statements of fact.
    FBI Special Agent Coleen Rowley

Thread Information