Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Buttercup is offline Thrives in sunshine
    Supporting Member Lvl 1

Don't burglarize a K-9 training facility

Canine unit takes a bite out of crime

--AP

It's a bad idea to burglarize a place marked "K-9 training facility."

Police dog handlers arriving Wednesday at the abandoned nursing home where they hold training sessions discovered two men and a woman dismantling the building's copper pipes and wiring, Hall County Sheriff's Sgt. Kiley Sargent said.

When the officers arrived, the three dropped their tools and ran. That was their second mistake.

"For anyone to try to run from a whole unit of canines, it's just a no-win situation," Sargent said.

Pamela Puckett, 37, quickly surrendered. Marc Black, 18, was tracked to a trash bin behind a nearby convenience store. Paul Perry, 39, was treated for a superficial dog bite just below the buttocks after his arrest, authorities said.

Signs outside the northern Georgia facility warn, "Caution!!! Gainesville Police Department K-9 training facility Keep Out."

"It's not like it was a secret," Sargent said. "I guess someone who is that determined to steal something might not pay attention."

High copper prices in recent years have led to thieves breaking into power plants and abandoned factories to rip out the wiring.

Perry, of Gainesville, and Puckett and Black, of nearby Braselton, were charged with burglary, Sargent said. Perry and Black also face misdemeanor obstruction charges.

Cheech Guest
    FUcking morons.. Meth addicts.

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Why were they trying to steal the copper wires? Who would buy those on the black market?

Jackalope is offline Yell O
    Are you serious, Jenna? You're not familiar with the concept of scrap metal? I'd have thought you'd be the world's foremost expert on recycling.
    "I'm not a coward,
    I've just never been tested
    I'd like to think that if I was,
    I would pass"
    ~Mighty Mighty Bosstones~

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Hahaha, I know about recycling, but I always assumed that you couldn't make money off of it and do it just to benefit the environment. How much money can you make with a bunch of scrap metal?

HudsonHawk is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenna View Post
    Hahaha, I know about recycling, but I always assumed that you couldn't make money off of it and do it just to benefit the environment. How much money can you make with a bunch of scrap metal?
    I had a recent burglary from some contractors. Among the items stolen were three 55-gallon drums filled with loose scrap. Mostly brass fittings and pieces of pipe that were leftover from projects. The estimated value of the scrap metal was $4500.
    "never bring paws to a gunfight" - Jenna

k-9max is offline K9 Officer
    Verified LEO
    Job well done,
    YEAH, IM THE BERRIES, AND CHERRIES IN YOUR REAR VIEW MIRROR.

Handle every stressful situation like a dog.
    Eat it, Play with it, or piss on it, and walk away!

As smart as man is, we haven't been able to invent a machine that can smell drugs or tell us where a person has walked, Dogs are sophisticated investigative tools!

countybear is offline BDRT - Baby Daddy Removal Team
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenna View Post
    Estimated theft haul from two suspects coiling up copper high tension wires from dead powerlines recently in our parish:

Copper weight per foot (high gauge line) = .85 lbs.
    Linear footage stolen = 5500 (estimated)
    Copper price offered by recycler per pound (scrap) = $2.85/lb.

Total haul = $13,323.75

Not bad for a couple of night's work...

For the recyclers, the copper exchange rate is holding at $3.68 per pound currently... imagine how cooperative they are with investigations which could stand to cost them an immediate turnover profit of $3880.25 and a loss of $13,323.75 (being as they are highly unlikely to ever see restitution from the thieves).

"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money."
    - Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Tell me not, Sweet, I am unkind,
    That from the nunnery
    Of thy chaste breast and quiet mind
    To war and arms I fly.
    - Lovelace

The opinions expressed by this poster are wholly his own, and should never be construed to even remotely be in representation of his employer, its agencies or assigns. In fact, they probably fail to be in alignment with the opinions of any rational human being.

Jackalope is offline Yell O
    My boss took a single truckload of scrap steel in the other day, which doesn't cost nearly as much as copper, and got $500 for it. It really amazes me how little you know about the real world.
    "I'm not a coward,
    I've just never been tested
    I'd like to think that if I was,
    I would pass"
    ~Mighty Mighty Bosstones~

Hawk1 is offline Sheepdog
    Verified LEO
    As comic book guy says.. "Worst..crook..ever"..
    "Contrary to popular belief, you will not rise to the occasion, but will fall to the level of your training"

Thread Information