countybear is offline BDRT - Baby Daddy Removal Team
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator

Rev. Sharpton backs idea on rap lyrics

I'll be interested to see your reactions to this story:

Rev. Sharpton backs idea on rap lyrics

By CAROLYN THOMPSON, Associated Press Writer

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070724/...TZZwOSz2lh24cA

BUFFALO, N.Y. - The Rev. Al Sharpton, who has challenged the entertainment industry on denigrating lyrics, on Monday supported a state senator's idea to pull public investments from companies that won't clean up their act.

Holding the entertainment industry accountable will be a primary goal of the newest chapter of Sharpton's National Action Network, said the activist minister, who announced the formation of the Buffalo-Niagara branch while in town to address a convention of black criminal justice professionals.

Roughly $3 billion from New York's state pension fund is invested in the entertainment industry, according to state Sen. Antoine Thompson, who requested an inventory of entertainment industry investments from the state comptroller earlier this year.

Thompson suggested leveraging the investments to open dialogue with industry executives.

"We just want to have more responsible entertainment where we're not using language that's offensive to anybody," the Buffalo Democrat said.

"The idea of divesting New York State taxpayers' money from record companies that have a double standard when it comes to language is something that will be a priority," said Sharpton, who led the drive to have Don Imus fired from his syndicated radio show for calling the Rutgers University women's basketball team "nappy-headed hos."

In April, hip-hop mogul Russell Simmons said the recording and broadcast industries should consistently ban three racial and sexist epithets from all so-called clean versions of rap songs and the airwaves. Expressing concern about the "growing public outrage" over the use of such words in rap lyrics, Simmons said the words "bitch," "ho" and "nigger" should be considered "extreme curse words."

Sharpton said the Buffalo chapter of NAN also would consider town hall forums and other venues to steer young blacks toward positive goals, especially now that the city has elected its first black mayor and has a black schools superintendent and police commissioner.

"I remember many years ago when I would come to Buffalo, we dreamed of days of black empowerment," Sharpton said. "Now we have to make sure the conduct of our black citizens complements that achievement. We cannot undermine them with the conduct of killing each other, selling drugs to each other and really celebrating a culture of depravity and decadence."

The Buffalo-Niagara Falls chapter is the 36th branch of NAN, which Sharpton founded to protect civil rights for minorities.

"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money."
    - Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Tell me not, Sweet, I am unkind,
    That from the nunnery
    Of thy chaste breast and quiet mind
    To war and arms I fly.
    - Lovelace

The opinions expressed by this poster are wholly his own, and should never be construed to even remotely be in representation of his employer, its agencies or assigns. In fact, they probably fail to be in alignment with the opinions of any rational human being.

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    What?? He's admitting that it's not just whites that are possibly at fault for perpetuating a stereotype, and that black-on-black crime exists? OMG! What's next, he'll admit that the current generation of white people really aren't responsible for slavery?? Naaa, better not get my hopes up THAT far.
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

Sapper_132 is offline Master Turd Cutter
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    I hate that dirt bag.

If I didn't have a kid to worry about I might be a famous shooter. LOL
    Just because your sign off after you're shift is done, doesn't mean that it's over and put blinders on. You're a cop 24/7 wether you like it or not. If thats something you can't handle, you should find a new line of work!

10-42Adam is offline Major
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    That man is a total disgrace. I look forward to the day he dies.

Just my humble opinion...
    Calm Like A Bomb...

A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. An optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty.
    -Winston Churchill

BEB
    BEB is offline Banned
    The portfolio manager for the pension fund should continue to invest in ways most advantageous to growth. Morality and politics are best left to moralists and political people; portfolios are best left to portfolio managers.

*Statement is not an endorsement of politicians.

If people want to decide on their own not to invest in a company for moral reasons, more power to them. When people do not have control of their money others shouldn't be making decisions on the morality for them.

To support this would be to support people in other professions using their position to spread their morality. Recall this story as an example of where that path can lead : Woman says she was raped, gets charged, denied pill

Terminator is offline BANNED
    He's not a real Reverend! I get tired of people referring to him as a minister! He got that nickname as a child, and it stuck.

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    He's a professional bullshit artist
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

So Fla Cop is offline Trunk Monkey Supporter
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by 10-42Adam View Post
    That man is a total disgrace. I look forward to the day he dies.

Just my humble opinion...
    Exactly what I was thinking... He finally got shamed into doing something positve.....except there is probably an anti-white motive there.
    September 11, 2001 - All gave some, some gave all. Never forget -- Never forgive.......... RIP Brothers and Sisters.

gozling is offline the gene pool could use a little chlorine
    Quote Originally Posted by lewisipso View Post
    +1
    http://www.allpoetry.com/Grunts%20Girl

We dallied under
    Vine maples and sapling alders
    Searched for lady slippers
    But instead
    Found blackberry riots and
    Desiccated branches

An old skid road
    Brought ghost ferns and
    Hollows filled with
    Skunk cabbage
    While waves wrapped
    Intricate lacings of weeds
    'Round mule spinners

His cyanotic eyes
    Were hard enough to make
    The sun turn tail and
    Tender enough to attract me
    To his world of illusion

bayern is offline Officer First Class
    Verified LEO

Couldn't say it better

snuffy2202 is offline JUST ANOTHER TEQUILA SUNRISE
    Verified LEO
    [QUOTE=countybear;232120]The Buffalo-Niagara Falls chapter

I thought they buried the N-word.

Growler is offline I is not happy
    Verified LEO
    Instead of him lecturing the white people using the words bitch, ho, nigger etc etc, why isn't he out lecturing the black people who use it every friggin day on the street corner?? Maybe it has something to do with whites don't greet each other like that. OOooh I know why..

makes too much damn sense.

Somebody throw some water on his perm please.

countybear is offline BDRT - Baby Daddy Removal Team
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Ok, I let this one roll a bit to see what the reactions would be. I must say... I am terribly dissappointed in them.

(Let me take a second to plant my tongue firmly in cheek here)...

Where's the "NAZI" chants? Where are those who scream "censorship!!"?? Where are the civil liberties complaints and the First Amendment citations?

This man is supporting a ban on certain words from their use in art, and this program is attempting to "leverage" the investment of public funds as a means to exact its private agenda!!

You let Pat Robertson even mention something like this and the ACLU calls an emergency press conference! C'mon folks, you have to get with the program!

Surely we cannot have a double standard! Say it isn't so!!

"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money."
    - Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Tell me not, Sweet, I am unkind,
    That from the nunnery
    Of thy chaste breast and quiet mind
    To war and arms I fly.
    - Lovelace

The opinions expressed by this poster are wholly his own, and should never be construed to even remotely be in representation of his employer, its agencies or assigns. In fact, they probably fail to be in alignment with the opinions of any rational human being.

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Quote Originally Posted by countybear View Post
    Ok, I let this one roll a bit to see what the reactions would be. I must say... I am terribly dissappointed in them.

(Let me take a second to plant my tongue firmly in cheek here)...

Where's the "NAZI" chants? Where are those who scream "censorship!!"?? Where are the civil liberties complaints and the First Amendment citations?

This man is supporting a ban on certain words from their use in art, and this program is attempting to "leverage" the investment of public funds as a means to exact its private agenda!!

You let Pat Robertson even mention something like this and the ACLU calls an emergency press conference! C'mon folks, you have to get with the program!

Surely we cannot have a double standard! Say it isn't so!!

For once he is trying to suppress his own. If he pisses enough people off, especially the ones he's supposedly looking out for, maybe he'll finally be exposed for the impotent jackass he really is.
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

Thread Information