Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Jackalope is offline Yell O

Inmate found guilty in masturbation trial

Inmate found guilty in masturbation trial

By ROBERTO SANTIAGO AND JENNIFER LEBOVICH
    rsantiago@MiamiHerald.com

A Broward prisoner accused of committing a sex act while he was alone in his jail cell was found guilty Tuesday of indecent exposure.

Terry Lee Alexander, 20, unsuccessfully fought the charge, which had been brought by a female Broward Sheriff's Office detention deputy who saw him perform the sex act in his cell in November.

In reaching the guilty verdict, jurors found that an inmate's jail cell is ''a limited access public place'' where exposing oneself is against the law.

The judge sentenced Alexander, of Lauderdale Lakes, to 60 days in jail, on top of the 10-year sentence he is currently serving for armed robbery.

The sole witness in the case, BSO Deputy Coryus Veal, testified that Alexander did not try to hide what he was doing as most prisoners do. Veal saw him perform the act while she was working in a glass-enclosed master control room, 100 feetfrom Alexander's cell. There was no video tape or other witnesses.

Alexander's attorney argued that the prison cell was a private place and that what Alexander was doing was perfectly normal.

''Did other inmates start masturbating because of Mr. Alexander?'' McHugh asked Veal. ``Did you call a SWAT team?''

''I wish I had,'' Veal answered.

Veal, who has charged seven other inmates with the same offense, insisted that she was not against the act itself -- just the fact that Alexander was so blatant about it. Most inmates, she testified, do it in bed, under the blankets.

Veal said this was the third time she caught Alexander, and she had had enough.

In the end, it took a jury of four men and two women only 45 minutes to find Alexander guilty. Broward County Judge Fred Berman sentenced Alexander to 60 days in jail.

''It was pretty straightforward,'' said juror David Sherman. ``The prosecution's case was clear, and the defense did not dispute any of the major elements.''

Sherman said jurors determined that a prison cell, which is owned and operated by the government, is neither public nor private but is a ``limited access public place.''

He also said that none of the jurors had a problem with the sex act, per se.

The case drew snickers in the courtroom, especially during jury selection, when prospective jurors were quizzed about their own habits.

Defense attorney Kathleen McHugh faced 17 prospective jurors and asked point-blank who among them had never done that particular sex act.

No hands went up.

While most prisons deal with such an offense internally, Broward Sheriff Ken Jenne -- and Miami-Dade Corrections officials -- are hoping to curb the practice among inmates by prosecuting them.

Janelle Hall, a spokeswoman for Miami-Dade Corrections, said that while no charges have been brought against inmates, the department is working with State Attorney Katherine Fernandez Rundle's office to discuss prosecution of such ''egregious'' cases in the jail.

''It has been a hot topic so to speak in our department,'' Hall said. ``In those cases that are egregious, where there is some sort of intent to deliberately expose themselves, those cases will be reviewed further in the courts.''

A spokesman for Broward State Attorney Michael Satz said prosecution is warranted when an inmate exposes himself in plain view of the detention staff or others.

''Female detention deputies are human beings, too. Why should they have to view such vulgar and indecent behavior in their place of work?'' said Satz spokesman Ron Ishoy.

Prosecutors filed charges in all seven of Veal's other cases, Ishoy said, but later dropped the charges in one of those cases to allow the defendant to begin his sentence in the state prison system on a more serious, unrelated charge.

Four of the defendants pleaded guilty to the charge of exposure and were sentenced to time served. Charges against two inmates are pending.

The state attorney's office did not have the number of cases involving inmates charged with indecent exposure in BSO jails.

And there was no information on whether similar charges had been brought against female inmates.

''When an inmate exposes [himself], it's up to the deputy's discretion how to handle it,'' said Elliot Cohen, a BSO spokesman. ``It can be a verbal reprimand to the filing of criminal charges.''

Teri Barbera, a spokeswoman for the Palm Beach County Sheriff's Office, said jail inmates there are written up for violating jail rules and subject to internal punishment ranging from loss of visitation privileges to solitary confinement.

Barbera said she is not aware of any cases where criminal charges have been brought against an inmate.
    "I'm not a coward,
    I've just never been tested
    I'd like to think that if I was,
    I would pass"
    ~Mighty Mighty Bosstones~

So Fla Cop is offline Trunk Monkey Supporter
    Verified LEO
    I don't know the specifics of this case, like if this guys jizzed all over the camera, or any other motives to keep him locked up, but it seems a little stupid to me to waste money prosecuting this case. Who cares what this guy does in his cell, at least he is in a cell.
    September 11, 2001 - All gave some, some gave all. Never forget -- Never forgive.......... RIP Brothers and Sisters.

Cheech Guest
    that sucks... the guy can't whack his pudd.. lol

cwtlady is offline Corporal
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    I have jury duty coming up...I hope I don't get something like this to deal with.

Terminator is offline BANNED
    I think the criminal prosecution might be a bit unnecessary, the guy's already locked up for 10 years for robbery. Let him whack it. Inmates did it all the time when I worked in the jail as a C/O. Most hid it, some didn't. It's kind of part of the job to see that, honestly.

Take away his jail priveleges. That'll hurt worse for a guy who's in their for 10 years. Adding an extra 60 days to his 10 year sentence....whoopdee doo. Taking away TV or visits for 60 days...that sucks.

TheeBadOne is offline Why so serious?
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by cwtlady4LE View Post
    I have jury duty coming up...I hope I don't get something like this to deal with.
    There are plenty of other jerk-offs out there to deal with.

"When I'm driving along and I see a sign that says, CAUTION: SMALL CHILDREN AHEAD,
    I slow down, and then it occurs to me, I'm not afraid of small children"!

Rhino is offline Meat-eater & Fire-breather
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Terminator View Post
    Take away his jail priveleges.
    That's exactly how I would have handled it. Being from a jail environment myself, I can tell you that some female jailers are way too uptight.

Edit: Not that some male jailers aren't just as bad. But they don't have a hissy when a inmate tries to rub one out.
    "If everyone is thinking alike, then someone isn't thinking." -Gen. George S. Patton

Lazy Fed is offline Curmudgeon
    Shit today alone I would have added, about 1 year on my sentence if I was in jail!!! LOL
    dulce et decorum est pro patria mori

Quote Originally Posted by Resident Smart Ass
    Life is to short not to experience Lazy Fed
    ___ ___ ___
    {o,o} {-.-} {0,0}
    |)__) |)_(| (__(|
    -"-"- -"-"- -"-"-
    O RLY?? YA RLY NO WAI!!!!

The incoherent statements given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency or any other person for that matter. They are MY PERSONAL DELUSIONAL FANTASIES and I accept sole responsibility as such as I am either drunk or stressed out of my mind.

lynnz05 is offline Corporal
    Quote Originally Posted by Terminator View Post
    Take away his jail priveleges. That'll hurt worse for a guy who's in their for 10 years. Adding an extra 60 days to his 10 year sentence....whoopdee doo. Taking away TV or visits for 60 days...that sucks.
    I agree that's what I would have done.
    What I say is my opinion, not my employers or that of my academic institution.

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Unless the guy was staring straight at her as he spanked the monkey, or was doing it out through the bars, then damn. Sometimes under the blankets just gets too hot.
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

Willowdared is offline Bendy not Breaky
    I think someone's in the wrong line of work?

Veal, who has charged seven other inmates with the same offense, insisted that she was not against the act itself -- just the fact that Alexander was so blatant about it. Most inmates, she testified, do it in bed, under the blankets.
    Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

Do not puff, shade, skew, tailor, firm up, stretch, massage,
    or otherwise distort statements of fact.
    FBI Special Agent Coleen Rowley

So Fla Cop is offline Trunk Monkey Supporter
    Verified LEO
    I guess it wasn't a "hung" jury...
    September 11, 2001 - All gave some, some gave all. Never forget -- Never forgive.......... RIP Brothers and Sisters.

Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Quote Originally Posted by So Fla Cop View Post
    I guess it wasn't a "hung" jury...
    Nope, they all just went back and rubbed out a verdict.
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson

Ianl6 is offline Dreamboy First Class
    Quote Originally Posted by Ducky View Post
    Unless the guy was staring straight at her as he spanked the monkey, or was doing it out through the bars, then damn. Sometimes under the blankets just gets too hot.
    Maybe that was the problem he was wacking off but ignoring her she may look like a MOOSE.
    Public conscience message board
    post on a board with a heart.

http://dreamboyuk52.proboards60.com/index.cgi

Ianl6 is offline Dreamboy First Class
    Quote Originally Posted by Ducky View Post
    Nope, they all just went back and rubbed out a verdict.
    Sorry Ducky did you mean rubbed out a verdict or rubbed up a verdict
    Public conscience message board
    post on a board with a heart.

http://dreamboyuk52.proboards60.com/index.cgi

trekgirl is offline Officer First Class
    Sounds like she really is too uptight. What else is the guy supposed to do with his time...

pagan is offline Rookie
    I can't believe the DA prosecuted that. Although that could be a good thing because i know that i get aggravated when the DA drops my charges down to minor offenses and the criminals get off with a slap on the wrist. I guess the police there don't have to worry about that.

Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Quote Originally Posted by pagan View Post
    I can't believe the DA prosecuted that. Although that could be a good thing because i know that i get aggravated when the DA drops my charges down to minor offenses and the criminals get off with a slap on the wrist. I guess the police there don't have to worry about that.
    I think the guys in question got off by slapping the monkey.

(Welcome to the forums, Pagan. )
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)

Growler is offline I is not happy
    Verified LEO
    I guess he thought that he was going to get off..

AITG is offline Master Officer
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Growler View Post
    I guess he thought that he was going to get off..
    If he beat it under wraps he could've beat the rap...

It was only a matter of time until it came to a head.

That's just whacked.

How many more puns can we squeeze out of this one?
    If I wanted people to like me I'd be a fireman.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information