Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Trojan 42 is offline Retired Ninja
    Verified LEO

Two News Heli's Collide Filming Police Chase.

Four Killed In Mid-Air Copter Crash

Updated: 10:16, Saturday July 28, 2007
    <H2>Four people are now known to have died after two US news helicopters covering a police chase on live television collided and crashed to the ground.

</H2> Crews killed covering chase

Viewers saw the two aircraft plunge to the ground as a jumble of spinning, broken images.
    Both helicopters went down in a park in Phoenix, Arizona, and caught fire. No one on the ground was hurt.
    TV viewers did not actually witness the accident itself because the cameras aboard both aircraft were pointed at the ground.
    But they saw video from one of the helicopters break up and begin to spin before the station abruptly switched to the studio.
    Television station KNXV operated one of the choppers, while the other was from KTVK.
    To be born an Englishman, is to be a winner in the Lottery of Life.

I've Talked the Talk and I've Walked the Walk, now I Sit the Sit!

It's not until you look at an Ant through a magnifying glass on a sunny day, that you realise just how often they burst into flames for no reason!

So Fla Cop is offline Trunk Monkey Supporter
    Verified LEO
    I hate to see anyone get killed, but, this time it is the news helicopter that is the news instead of the cops at the end of the chase.... You play you pay.
    September 11, 2001 - All gave some, some gave all. Never forget -- Never forgive.......... RIP Brothers and Sisters.

Ianl6 is offline Dreamboy First Class

Unhappy

I'm just suprised that it has not happened before as when you see them on cops and other shows they are criscrossing all over the place getting in everyones way.They must make the job the police do much harder.
    Public conscience message board
    post on a board with a heart.

http://dreamboyuk52.proboards60.com/index.cgi

TheeBadOne is offline Why so serious?
    Verified LEO
    "When I'm driving along and I see a sign that says, CAUTION: SMALL CHILDREN AHEAD,
    I slow down, and then it occurs to me, I'm not afraid of small children"!

CTR man is offline Officer First Class
    Supporting Member Lvl 3

Unhappy

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070728/...opters_collide

TV news helicopters collide, killing 4

By JACQUES BILLEAUD, Associated Press Writer Sat Jul 28, 7:13 AM ET

PHOENIX - Federal investigators hope to determine why two news helicopters covering a police chase on live television collided and crashed to the ground, killing all four people on board.
    ADVERTISEMENT

Both helicopters from local TV stations went down in a grassy park in central Phoenix and caught fire Friday afternoon. No one on the ground was hurt.

TV viewers did not witness the accident because cameras aboard both aircraft were pointed at the ground, but they saw video from one of the helicopters break up and begin to spin before the station abruptly switched to the studio.

Killed on board the KTVK helicopter were pilot Scott Bowerbank and photographer Jim Cox, the station reported. On board the KNXV aircraft were reporter-pilot Craig Smith and photographer Rick Krolak, that station said.

A Federal Aviation Administration investigator was at the crash scene by late Friday and National Transportation Safety Board investigators were expected to arrive Saturday.

The helicopters were covering the police pursuit of a work truck. Just before the collision, the driver had jumped out of the nearly disabled flatbed pickup and carjacked another truck. The man was later taken into custody by a SWAT team after barricading himself inside a house.

Just before the picture broke up, Smith said, "Oh geez!"

Police identified the suspect as Christopher J. Jones, 23, and said he was booked into jail late Friday night on two counts of vehicle theft, four counts of aggravated assault on a police officer and one count of resisting arrest with other charges expected to be filed later.

Earlier on Friday, Phoenix Police Chief Jack Harris suggested the suspect could "be held responsible for any of the deaths from this tragedy."

The two helicopters came down on the lawn in front of a boarded-up church at the park. Firefighters swarmed to the area as thick black smoke rose from the scene.

Rick Gotchie, an air conditioning contractor, was working nearby when he noticed the helicopters overhead. He said they began circling closer as he continued watching, and one appeared to get too close to the other.

"I kept saying 'Go lower, go lower,' but he didn't," Gotchie said. "It was like a vacuum. They just got sucked into each other, and they both exploded and pieces were flying everywhere."

He said he ran to the crash site, but "no one got out."

FAA spokesman Ian Gregor said the pilots of the five news helicopters and one police chopper over the chase were not talking to air traffic controllers at the time, which is normal.

"Typically air traffic controllers clear helicopters into an area where they can cover a chase like this," Gregor said. "Once they are in the area, the pilots themselves are responsible for keeping themselves separated from other aircraft."

Pilots generally use a dedicated radio frequency to talk to each other and maintain their positions, Gregor said.

"There is a high degree of coordination," Gregor said. "To fly for a TV station you have to have a commercial rating, which means more (flight hours), more training."

Gregor said the FAA has not had major safety problems with news chopper operations.

Keith McCutchen, a past president of the National Broadcast Pilots Association and a news pilot for 11 years in Indianapolis, said pilot awareness is vital while on the scene of a story because of the many distractions that could spell trouble.

"You are watching the scene. You have to bring your attention inside to look at the monitors to see what the audience is seeing so you can converse. But you're also having to direct your attention to the other aircraft flying around you. You have to have your head on a swivel in those kinds of situations."

___

Associated Press writers Chris Kahn, Pauline Arrillaga and Terry Tang contributed to this report.

Choose The Right. When you're doing whats right, then you have nothing to worry about.

Not a LEO

In memory of Sgt. Howard K. Stevenson 1965 - 2005. Ceres Police Dept.
    In memory of Robert N. Panos 1955 - 2008 Ceres Police Dept.

Trojan 42 is offline Retired Ninja
    Verified LEO
    And pointless post of the year goes to..............TheeBadOne.
    To be born an Englishman, is to be a winner in the Lottery of Life.

I've Talked the Talk and I've Walked the Walk, now I Sit the Sit!

It's not until you look at an Ant through a magnifying glass on a sunny day, that you realise just how often they burst into flames for no reason!

snuffy2202 is offline JUST ANOTHER TEQUILA SUNRISE
    Verified LEO
    True dat. Like a dummy, I kept waitning for the Hawk to do something.

Just KC is offline Who?......Me?
    Incredibly sad......i heard the tapes too....just awful.
    ~Karie

"I used to care
    but now I take a pill for that"

Virginian is offline Major
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Trojan 42 View Post
    And pointless post of the year goes to..............TheeBadOne.
    It had a point, just not a super-sensitive one.

gozling is offline the gene pool could use a little chlorine
    Quote Originally Posted by snuffy2202 View Post
    True dat. Like a dummy, I kept waitning for the Hawk to do something.
    geesh glad i wasnt the only one

sad that this happened
    http://www.allpoetry.com/Grunts%20Girl

We dallied under
    Vine maples and sapling alders
    Searched for lady slippers
    But instead
    Found blackberry riots and
    Desiccated branches

An old skid road
    Brought ghost ferns and
    Hollows filled with
    Skunk cabbage
    While waves wrapped
    Intricate lacings of weeds
    'Round mule spinners

His cyanotic eyes
    Were hard enough to make
    The sun turn tail and
    Tender enough to attract me
    To his world of illusion

Cidp24 is offline Tempus Fugit
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Sad story. I might be wrong but I thought I read or heard somewhere that such helicopters were assigned certain separate altitudes when operating in the same area. Anyone know anthing about that?
    "It wouldn't take much for me to up and run...
    to another life somewhere in the sun."
    "There's something inherently wrong with having to put on a bullet-proof vest and a gun to go to work."-(An old friend)

Any statements or opinions given in my postings or profile do not reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employer or anyone else other than me. They are my personal opinions or statements only, thereby releasing my employer , any other entity, or any other person of any liability or involvement in anything posted under the username "Cidp24" on O/R.

Supporting Member Lvl 2
    I read in a news article that the air traffic in the area is cleared, but that the choppers are on their own as far as avoiding collisions. I guess they work it out amongst themselves who goes where.

Cidp24 is offline Tempus Fugit
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    I think heard the altitude thing at the Atlanta Olympics, where I counted as many as 10 helicopters covering outdoor events like the bike races. My bad.
    "It wouldn't take much for me to up and run...
    to another life somewhere in the sun."
    "There's something inherently wrong with having to put on a bullet-proof vest and a gun to go to work."-(An old friend)

Any statements or opinions given in my postings or profile do not reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employer or anyone else other than me. They are my personal opinions or statements only, thereby releasing my employer , any other entity, or any other person of any liability or involvement in anything posted under the username "Cidp24" on O/R.

Supporting Member Lvl 2
    Oh I'm not saying you're wrong, you're probably right, especially in static events like Olympics where the area is pre-arranged. Just sharing what I read the other day.

10-42Adam is offline Major
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    I saw some live footage of this when it happened the other day. As stated earlier, I'm surprised it doesn't happen more often...
    Calm Like A Bomb...

A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. An optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty.
    -Winston Churchill

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Media caters to ratings. No matter what.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

Thread Information