Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Operator13 is offline Just Another Voice

Talking He was only warned TWICE.

http://www.wnbc.com/news/13804343/de...=headlineclick

BELMAR, N.J. -- How serious is Belmar about cracking down on noise after dark? Just ask Joseph Palermo, who was fined $572 for letting a woman ring the bell on his bicycle.

Of course, it was 1:45 a.m. and he had already been warned by police twice to stop.

"I just think it's funny that they can do that," said Palermo, a 22-year-old surfer from Kapaa, Hawaii who is spending the summer working on a scallop boat based in Brielle and is staying with friends in Belmar.
    But the borough is strictly enforcing its quality of life ordinances, particularly those dealing with late-night noise, which has consistently been the top complaint of year-round residents.

Palermo pleaded his case in municipal court on Wednesday, and was ordered to pay a $539 fine, plus $33 in court costs.

"I hope I can pay," he told the Asbury Park Press for Thursday's newspapers. "Otherwise Belmar's police, they're going to come looking for me. I guess money talks, and my money is saying goodbye."

The fine stemmed from a July 22 incident outside a local bar during which police asked him twice to stop ringing the bell on his bicycle. But when an attractive woman asked if she could ring it, Palermo said he agreed.

He was promptly issued tickets for noise violation, and disorderly conduct.

Municipal Court Judge Dennis Lavender seemed amused by Palermo's defense.

"That's a first," the judge said, offering some advice: "Don't ring that bell to get girls."
    "The statements and opinions contained in this communication do not necessarily reflect the official position of the Commission regarding these issues."

Ianl6 is offline Dreamboy First Class
    Well one thing is for certain he cannot say that he was not warned about it serves him right.
    Public conscience message board
    post on a board with a heart.

http://dreamboyuk52.proboards60.com/index.cgi

BEB
    BEB is offline Banned
    Uh, sure. That's what we need laws for. To prevent people ringing bike bells outside of bars.

Good grief.

Trojan 42 is offline Retired Ninja
    Verified LEO
    BEB you are missing the point. I think the surfer Dude was fined for 'failing the Attitude Test'! If a cop asks you not to do something, don't do it. Simple really.
    To be born an Englishman, is to be a winner in the Lottery of Life.

I've Talked the Talk and I've Walked the Walk, now I Sit the Sit!

It's not until you look at an Ant through a magnifying glass on a sunny day, that you realise just how often they burst into flames for no reason!

BEB
    BEB is offline Banned
    I get that point. I'm digging down layers before.

How did we get to a point that a cop ended up asking a surfer to stop ringing a bell? If this isn't a preposterous enough example to illustrate how perverted our system of laws has become I really don't know how to better explain.

Doesn't anyone else see how absurd this is?

Illiy is offline Corporal
    Quote Originally Posted by BEB View Post

How did we get to a point that a cop ended up asking a surfer to stop ringing a bell? If this isn't a preposterous enough example to illustrate how perverted our system of laws has become I really don't know how to better explain.

**Of course, it was 1:45 a.m. and he had already been warned by police twice to stop...But the borough is strictly enforcing its quality of life ordinances, particularly those dealing with late-night noise, which has consistently been the top complaint of year-round residents.**

If you lived close by this location and had someone ringing a bell outside at nearly 2am I would think you would want it stopped too...

countybear is offline BDRT - Baby Daddy Removal Team
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator

I think a better statement of a societal problem is your response to this news story.

With only the information provided in this one brief news story (obviously from a reporter who wasn't present at the time of the incident), you immediately cry foul and claim "absurd" the judgement of not only a law enforcement officer (who was present), but also a judge who no doubt heard from both parties (including the defendant). What type of bell was it? Why was the guy hanging out in front of a bar? What caused the officer to key in on the bellringing to begin with? How close were homes of persons who could have been (or were) disturbed by the actions of the defendant? Had a complaint been recieved from one of those persons?

None of these questions are answered here, yet you have exhalted your expertise in the facts and circumstances of an incident, the weighing of evidence alleging a violation of municipal or State code, AND the statutes themselves, far above those charged with the responsibility of such expertise. All because of a few words scribbled by a reporter. Congratulations, sir.

Perhaps you should join an activist group.

"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money."
    - Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Tell me not, Sweet, I am unkind,
    That from the nunnery
    Of thy chaste breast and quiet mind
    To war and arms I fly.
    - Lovelace

The opinions expressed by this poster are wholly his own, and should never be construed to even remotely be in representation of his employer, its agencies or assigns. In fact, they probably fail to be in alignment with the opinions of any rational human being.

conalabu is offline Grasshopper
    Verified LEO
    I think, BEB, the term that describes what CB just did was "TOLD!". I have been in similar situations as that described and also hooked 'em up.
    And Shepards we shall be,
    for thee, My Lord, for thee,
    Power hath descended forth from Thy hand,
    That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy Command.
    So we shall flow a river forth to Thee
    And teeming with souls will it ever be.
    In Nomine Patris, Et Filli, Et Spiritus Sancti.

BEB
    BEB is offline Banned
    This is where I make like Mick Jagger and bite my tongue.

I'll try to make the point in a better way another day.

conalabu is offline Grasshopper
    Verified LEO

I smell what you are stepping in. The biggest thing is that you are viewing this as "petty" and a law that only shows government flexing its muscles. I see it as a stupidity abatement law. When someone is intentionally pushing a boundary, that is stupid. When someone is being intentionally rude to others, that is stupid. When you draw fire, expect to be burnt.
    And Shepards we shall be,
    for thee, My Lord, for thee,
    Power hath descended forth from Thy hand,
    That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy Command.
    So we shall flow a river forth to Thee
    And teeming with souls will it ever be.
    In Nomine Patris, Et Filli, Et Spiritus Sancti.

Illiy is offline Corporal

countybear is offline BDRT - Baby Daddy Removal Team
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator

I look forward to it.

"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money."
    - Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Tell me not, Sweet, I am unkind,
    That from the nunnery
    Of thy chaste breast and quiet mind
    To war and arms I fly.
    - Lovelace

The opinions expressed by this poster are wholly his own, and should never be construed to even remotely be in representation of his employer, its agencies or assigns. In fact, they probably fail to be in alignment with the opinions of any rational human being.

phantasm is offline Corporal
    Verified LEO
    If it was being strictly enforced, he would not have gotten those 2 warnings.

Tuff is offline Redneckwannabepopo
    Sounds like the law was enforced with ALOT of good common sense...they were NICE enough to WARN him twice....then he chose to not heed the generosity that the officers gave him, and in the end he decided to act stupid and it cost him....and from what he states its going to cost him even more..sounds like he is going to get on his scallop boat and ride off and not pay the fines...that alone says ALOT about this young mans charicter or lack of it....

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Quote Originally Posted by countybear View Post
    I look forward to it.
    Run for your life, BEB!

BEB
    BEB is offline Banned
    Now Jenna, what fun would that be?
    Besides, how can I tell others to speak up even when their view is an unpopular one if I don't do it myself?

While not my intention to condemn the officer in the matter, I see now that it comes off that way. My question is not why he's enforcing the law on the books, but whether that law should exist in the first place. The bell ringer chose to escalate the situation by continuing to ring the bell. I'm not faulting the officer for what he did. The judge too has to follow the laws on the books. I'm disagreeing with the law (specifically the noise violation one, not the disorderly conduct), not those enforcing it.

Among other things, a bar is a place for people to lose inhibitions and make noise. To an extent that extends to public areas as well, and especially near the closing time when the patrons are leaving.

If you don't like the noises associated with bars, don't live by a bar! That's a choice those residents made. If the bar came after they lived there then they failed to protect their environment from noise. That's still their error, not the state's.

If the man was blasting a ferry horn it'd be one thing. A bike bell is annoying, but, TO ME, doesn't come anywhere near the threshold where the state should become involved. Others disagree or those statutes wouldn't be in place. And I continue to disagree with those people.

"But the borough is strictly enforcing its quality of life ordinances, particularly those dealing with late-night noise, which has consistently been the top complaint of year-round residents." Quit complaining and do something to change it! Buy out the bar owner and put in a mime school if quiet is that important. Instead they go looking for the government to solve all their annoyances, through "quality of life" ordinances.

It is not the role of government to assure you an annoyance free life. I'm not even saying there shouldn't be noise ordinances, instead that this one lacks perspective. Using the power of law to control your environment to this extent is abusive to the law and irresponsible. In my opinion of course.

213th is offline Solipsist
    I thought noise ordanances were usually based on a certain decibel level...?
    He who has the money, signs the cheques.
    He who signs the cheques, makes the rules.
    He who makes the rules, has the power.
    He who has the power, has the money.

Terminator is offline BANNED
    Quote Originally Posted by 213th View Post
    I thought noise ordanances were usually based on a certain decibel level...?

Nope, not always. Sometimes in clubs, or other similiar establishments where they play music, they won't be allowed to go over a certain decibal level, or it's a city code violation.

Where I work any noise that can be heard more than 50 feet away is a misdemeanor criminal violation of the city's noise ordinance, and a $135.00 fine.

jcsdscott is offline The short minister
    Verified LEO
    *seventies music playing in the background*

Come on, sing it with me!

You can ring my bell-l-l, Ring my bell
    Now that's out of my system; he got what he deserved; If you want to play games with Law Enforcement on whatever level you should be prepared to pay the fine for it. Obviously he wasn't thinking.

213th is offline Solipsist
    Quote Originally Posted by Terminator View Post
    Nope, not always. Sometimes in clubs, or other similiar establishments where they play music, they won't be allowed to go over a certain decibal level, or it's a city code violation.

Where I work any noise that can be heard more than 50 feet away is a misdemeanor criminal violation of the city's noise ordinance, and a $135.00 fine.
    ahh i see. Thanks
    He who has the money, signs the cheques.
    He who signs the cheques, makes the rules.
    He who makes the rules, has the power.
    He who has the power, has the money.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information