Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Willowdared is offline Bendy not Breaky

Unhappy Pursuit Ends with Discovery of Child's Body

Details emerge in girl's slaying
    Kin says suspect has troubled past
    By Peter Schworm and Javier C. Hernandez, Globe Staff | August 7, 2007
    QUINCY -- The man accused of killing his 6-year-old first cousin has a history of criminal activity, violence, and mental instability, and was kicked out of his cousin's Weymouth home for ongoing heroin use, according to court records, neighbors, and relatives.

Ryan Bois, 20, also has ties to white supremacist groups in the region, said a law enforcement source familiar with the investigation.

Bois's 16-year-old brother, Benjamin Tofani of Framingham, said yesterday that Bois is a chronic drug addict who had been in and out of rehabilitation clinics for years and was prone to violent rages.

"He's always been like this," Tofani said. "He's been on a bad path for a long time."

Bois was held without bail yesterday and was sent for psychiatric evaluation after pleading not guilty to first-degree murder and other charges at his arraignment in Quincy District Court. He spat at reporters covering the hearing as he shuffled past in leg irons, handcuffs, and a hospital robe. A law enforcement source said Bois has hepatitis, and a reporter hit by the spit was taken to the hospital as a precaution.

Prosecutors said that the body of the young girl, Joanna Mullin of Weymouth, was naked, badly bruised, and showed signs of sexual assault when police discovered it early Sunday morning wrapped in a comforter in the back seat of the stolen car Bois was driving. She had sustained trauma to her face and neck, had blood in her mouth, and her legs were gray and discolored, according to the police report and prosecutors.

New details emerged at yesterday's arraignment and in police reports. Police and prosecutors said Bois abducted his cousin in the middle of the night from their grandmother's house in Weymouth, where she and another cousin were having a sleepover. He entered the home by climbing on top of a car and cutting through a window screen, officials said. Investigators said they found bedding in the house that were stained with blood and what appeared to be semen.

The grandmother was unaware her granddaughter was missing until police notified her after they discovered the body, authorities said.

Bois then drove off in his grandmother's car before being pursued by Weymouth police, who said they observed him speeding and driving erratically. Police stopped him at about 1:30 a.m., but Bois sped away as the officer approached his vehicle.

After a chase that reached speeds of 100 miles per hour, police said, Bois crashed into a taxi at a light in Quincy, then fled on foot. He was apprehended with the help of a police dog.

According to the police report, Bois screamed at the responding officers to kill him.
    "Kill me now," he screamed. "Just shoot me in the head."

"I'm a loser," he later yelled. "You don't even know. Shoot me in the face."

Police looked in the back seat of the car and saw two small legs and realized that the body of a young girl was there, according to the report.

The officers attempted CPR but were unable to revive her.
    Police also said they discovered a bag of heroin Bois had discarded during his failed escape and an 8-inch knife with blood on it.
    Tofani, Bois's 16-year-old brother, said yesterday that Bois had battled drug addiction throughout his teenage years and was prone to anger and violence. He said family members, particularly their mother, were overcome by guilt and grief over Mullin's death.

"We never thought he could do this, never," Tofani said during an interview on the doorstep of his Framingham home. "We thought he loved them. He was always in trouble, he had a lot of problems, but he was a good cousin."

Tofani said his brother had been on medication for bipolar disorder.

Tofani said his brother fell into the wrong crowd early in life and attended a camp for troubled children when he was a preteen. He often started fights, began committing crimes, and has been a chronic substance abuser, Tofani said. "Rehab has never worked," Tofani said. "He gets out and starts again."

Tofani said his mother eventually sent Bois to live with her sister, Heather Mullin, where he spent two years before family members kicked him out. He has recently bounced among friends and relatives, Tofani said.

He was in prison for several months last year for a probation violation and four months ago got out of a drug rehabilitation program, Tofani said.

According to court records, Bois was charged with armed assault in 2006 after he allegedly threatened a Weymouth convenience store clerk and demanded money.

Last year, Bois was charged with possession of marijuana and assaulting a police officer outside a Dunkin' Donuts shop in Weymouth.

During that incident, police said, Bois spat blood on the officer and had to be sedated with pepper spray.

His court-appointed lawyer, Beverly J. Cannone, declined to discuss the case except to say, "I can't imagine there being anything more tragic than the death of a beautiful little girl."
    Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

Do not puff, shade, skew, tailor, firm up, stretch, massage,
    or otherwise distort statements of fact.
    FBI Special Agent Coleen Rowley

conalabu is offline Grasshopper
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by PDawg View Post
    His court-appointed lawyer, Beverly J. Cannone, declined to discuss the case except to say, "I can't imagine there being anything more tragic than the death of a beautiful little girl."
    Signs that you are going to get a mistrial. I hope the boy gets what he deserves though.
    And Shepards we shall be,
    for thee, My Lord, for thee,
    Power hath descended forth from Thy hand,
    That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy Command.
    So we shall flow a river forth to Thee
    And teeming with souls will it ever be.
    In Nomine Patris, Et Filli, Et Spiritus Sancti.

countybear is offline BDRT - Baby Daddy Removal Team
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I can... the fact that everyday in America, we live under a "justice" system that operates with such wanton stupidity and abject impunity as to allow someone with as violent a past as this predator had, to continue to prowl the streets unchecked. Those responsible for dispensing this "injustice" then have the audacity and hypocrisy to mourn the losses that they, themselves are party to through their ineptitude, inaction, and complacence.

We are failing, everyday, and seemingly in every way to guard the victims, the innocent, and the helpless from those who would do them harm and have proven to us time and time again that harm is all they will ever contribute to our "civilized" society.

I feel like vomiting when I see a story like this. It literally makes me ill. To think that this child's death was directly caused by a disgusting sub-human who was allowed a free and literal reign of terror by those who call themselves keepers of justice. Their hands are stained with the blood of this child.

From prosecution, defense, and ultimately the magistrate, you have failed this child. Her death is your failure as much as his act. You people should serve the sentence he deserved long ago, while he swiftly meets the needle for killing this precious, innocent lamb. When you look at a history marred by acts of violence, what cause can you possibly have not to ensure that it ceases to thrive upon the weak? What possible conclusion can you draw but that which is evident? Can that many law enforcement officers in so many seperate incidents all be wrong?

I could not care less that your prisons are overcrowded, your courts over-burdened, and your budgets over spent... Throughout this creature's history, he has spit in the face of decency, morality, civility, and yes, justice. He has committed violence without conscience. And you, my dear "legal eagles" have supported him in doing so. You have pondered his fate without even considering the fate of his victims; past, present, and future. What if it were you he held the knife against? What if it had been you he fought? What if it had been you whose face he spewed his bloody venom in? What if it were your child this mongrel raped, tortured, and murdered? How comfortable would you be with your malfeasance then? I am sure that now that he has reached his peak of depravity, you certainly will call for his head on a platter, (so long as you can pander votes from it).

I am tired of looking into the eyes of the families and trying to explain away your fallacies. I am tired of weeping over lost brothers and sisters. I am tired of seeing those who grip others with terror constantly being sympathized with by those who don't see what I am forced to see night after night. I fight the good fight, I tread the places where you fear, and I bleed at the hands of your indifference. I feel the pain of those who cry out in the night, and respond in the wake of the destruction that those you refuse to fetter have wrought upon the defenseless. What tears have you wept? What pain have you felt? What life have you saved, but your own?

May God have mercy on those whom you jeopardize while you play your politics, buy your votes, drive your fancy cars, and pamper yourselves in your posh homes behind gates. You certainly have no mercy for the people that you are sworn to protect. You liberals, who believe that every evil is excusable, caused by some faceless oppression or brought about by some societal ill, rather than recognizing the obvious fact that evil can and does take the face of a person, regardless of environment, and that such a person must be held accountable. Without such accountability, the escalation of violence yields only more slaughter.

When you pity evil, you betray justice.

/rant off

"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money."
    - Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Tell me not, Sweet, I am unkind,
    That from the nunnery
    Of thy chaste breast and quiet mind
    To war and arms I fly.
    - Lovelace

The opinions expressed by this poster are wholly his own, and should never be construed to even remotely be in representation of his employer, its agencies or assigns. In fact, they probably fail to be in alignment with the opinions of any rational human being.

Lo523 is offline Master Officer
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Superb post CB!

I tried to rep but got:
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to countybear again.
    Never approach a bull by the front, a horse from behind, or an idiot from any direction.

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Quote Originally Posted by Lo523 View Post
    Superb post CB!

I tried to rep but got:
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to countybear again.
    Taken care of.
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

Buttercup is offline Thrives in sunshine
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    I can't get him either, Lo. Countybear, that was an excellent post as always.

Jarvis is offline O.R. Tech Support
    Sedated with pepper spray? I've been missing sleep lately... maybe I'll spray my face with some pepper spray and see if it helps me sleep

seriously: tragic story, here in mass... unbelievable!
    - Promote Officer Resource! Because everyone wants more noobs to make fun of!
    - vBulletin Services

deputysykes is offline Corporal
    Verified LEO
    I would like no note another injustice depicted by this article:
    This 20 year old male was not given exactly what he requested.

"Kill me now,"...."Just shoot me in the head."...."Shoot me in the face."

Now I'm not a judge or God, but I think I can say I believe he deserved to be given what he wanted.

lewisipso is online now Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator

Ok.

Bois had battled drug addiction throughout his teenage years and was prone to anger and violence.

Tofani said his brother had been on medication for bipolar disorder.

According to court records, Bois was charged with armed assault in 2006 after he allegedly threatened a Weymouth convenience store clerk and demanded money.

Last year, Bois was charged with possession of marijuana and assaulting a police officer outside a Dunkin' Donuts shop in Weymouth.

During that incident, police said, Bois spat blood on the officer and had to be sedated with pepper spray.

"We never thought he could do this, never," Tofani said.

My ass!

It never ceases to amaze me how people know this type of shit and always wonder how the accused could do what they did. Had I caught him anywhere near other family members it would have been the last time.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

Tuff is offline Redneckwannabepopo
    Could have been prevented... ...It kills me to read something like this a see , he did that and this but yet nobody stepped up to stop it from happening again, now this time he has killed a young girl...

Its time for a tall tree ,long rope and a slow horse...
    http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm...ndid=197722498

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

kjlaw is offline Swamp Mafia Proud!!!
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by lewisipso View Post

Ok.

I'll Help!!
    Lead from the front and always remember those who came first.

Capt. Ocativo "OX" Gonzalez
    EOW 6/16/06

Always remember that a casket is hotter than your vest.

Quote Originally Posted by conalabu View Post
    Soon the whole world will be in the hands of the Swamp Mafia.

Thread Information