Welcome to the APBWeb.

View Poll Results: Is this racial profiling, on the part of the Sheriff, and the Sheriff's Office?

Voters
22. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

1 4.55%
  • No

21 95.45%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Terminator is offline BANNED

Latino organization creates a hotline to report racial profiling incidents by Sheriff Joe Arpaio and his Deputy's

Latino organizations have created a network of hotlines for people to report what they believe to be incidents of racial profiling.

The move was made in response to Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio's hotline, launched last month, that encourages people to report information on undocumented immigrants.

Leaders of the Hispanic community say their hotlines will ensure the preservation of civil and constitutional rights. On Wednesday, they voiced frustration about Arpaio's hotline, saying that the only way it could work is through racial profiling and that it offers no answer to the country's immigration problems.

"We need this hotline taken down," said Rep. Steve Gallardo, a Phoenix Democrat. "This hotline is solely set up for racial profiling. . . . We need Sheriff Joe Arpaio to do his job in enforcing the laws without using race as the sole purpose of trying to determine if someone is here illegally."

The four hotline numbers staffed by Hispanic advocacy groups will be activated Monday, but Harry Garewal, president of the Arizona Hispanic Chamber of Commerce, said the chamber already has received calls from businesses saying they felt like they were being discriminated against solely because they are Hispanic-owned.

When a call is received through the hotlines, lawyers on a volunteer basis will review the claims to see whether they are valid. If they are deemed valid, then the reports of racial profiling will be submitted to the U.S. Attorney's Office.

"We are not going to let such actions go unnoticed. Our community has come together to hold Sheriff Joe Arpaio accountable," said Lydia Hernandez, executive director of the Arizona Coalition for Immigrant Rights. The coalition, Emigrantes Sin Fronteras, Proyecto Manzana and Tonatierra will field calls.

According to Arpaio, about 1,000 calls have been received through his hotline. Eight undocumented immigrants were arrested Wednesday morning during a traffic stop from information gathered from his hotline.

Arpaio said that no call into his hotline would be acted on unless there were probable cause.

Arpaio said that he loved the idea of the hotlines and respected the opinions of others, but he also said he wouldn't retreat.

"I am not going to back down from these people who don't like what the sheriff is doing," Arpaio said. "The more they go after me, the more I'm going to keep fighting."

Regardless, Phoenix attorney Antonio Bustamante said he hopes that the Hispanic community's efforts will reveal how the sheriff's hotline is being abused in order to better determine how to fight "the immorality" of the hotline later on.

213th is offline Solipsist
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    I'd vote for Sheriff Joe as President
    He who has the money, signs the cheques.
    He who signs the cheques, makes the rules.
    He who makes the rules, has the power.
    He who has the power, has the money.

Cidp24 is offline Tempus Fugit
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    It sounds fair, logical, and well set up to me.
    "It wouldn't take much for me to up and run...
    to another life somewhere in the sun."
    "There's something inherently wrong with having to put on a bullet-proof vest and a gun to go to work."-(An old friend)

Any statements or opinions given in my postings or profile do not reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employer or anyone else other than me. They are my personal opinions or statements only, thereby releasing my employer , any other entity, or any other person of any liability or involvement in anything posted under the username "Cidp24" on O/R.

JLK
    JLK is offline Protecting Those That Can't Protect Themselves
    Verified LEO
    that is racial profiling. what are we going to do about the large influx of illegal immigrants coming here from our northern boarder sucking up limited resources. wait, that's not a real big problem. never mind

"A strong man stands up for himself. A stronger man stands up for others."
    Ben

The old sheriff was attending an awards dinner when a lady commented
    on his wearing his sidearm. "Sheriff, I see you have your pistol. Are you
    expecting trouble?" "No Ma'am. If I were expecting trouble, I would have
    brought my rifle."
    (just stole this one hope you don't mind)

The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant,
    it is just that they know so much that isn't so.
    President Ronald Reagan

countybear is offline BDRT - Baby Daddy Removal Team
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator

"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money."
    - Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Tell me not, Sweet, I am unkind,
    That from the nunnery
    Of thy chaste breast and quiet mind
    To war and arms I fly.
    - Lovelace

The opinions expressed by this poster are wholly his own, and should never be construed to even remotely be in representation of his employer, its agencies or assigns. In fact, they probably fail to be in alignment with the opinions of any rational human being.

Tuff is offline Redneckwannabepopo
    Quote Originally Posted by 213th View Post
    I'd vote for Sheriff Joe as President

YES SIR!!! I would back that Vote!!
    http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm...ndid=197722498

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

Lazy Fed is offline Curmudgeon
    Those pesky Canadians are the real problem here going down to Flordia for six months out of the year with all their "eh" and "aboot" talk. Oh the last letter of the alphabet is "Z" not "ZED"!!!!!!
    dulce et decorum est pro patria mori

Quote Originally Posted by Resident Smart Ass
    Life is to short not to experience Lazy Fed
    ___ ___ ___
    {o,o} {-.-} {0,0}
    |)__) |)_(| (__(|
    -"-"- -"-"- -"-"-
    O RLY?? YA RLY NO WAI!!!!

The incoherent statements given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency or any other person for that matter. They are MY PERSONAL DELUSIONAL FANTASIES and I accept sole responsibility as such as I am either drunk or stressed out of my mind.

Cheech Guest
    Id vote a latino for president

TXCharlie is offline Former & Future Reserve Officer
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheech View Post
    Id vote a latino for president
    I would too, but only Sheriff Siggy Gonzalez of Zapata County in Texas.

Sheriff Joe can be his Vice-President

http://www.cnsnews.com/ViewSpecialRe...20060821a.html

Sheriff Sigifredo Gonzalez of Zapata County, Texas told Cybercast News Service that Iranian currency, military badges in Arabic, jackets and other clothing are among the items that have been discovered along the banks of the Rio Grande River. The sheriff also said there are a substantial number of individuals crossing the southern border into the U.S. who are not Mexican. He described the individuals in question as well-funded and able to pay so-called "coyotes" - human smugglers - large sums of money for help gaining illegal entry into the U.S.

Although many of the non-Mexican illegal aliens are fluent in Spanish, Gonzalez said they speak with an accent that is not native.

"It's clear these people are coming in for reasons other than employment," Gonzalez said.

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Sheriff Arpaio launched a hotline to report Latino's??!! Despicable!!!
    Hang on let me check again just to make sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Terminator View Post
    Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio's hotline, launched last month, that encourages people to report information on undocumented immigrants.
    Stupid. I am so sick and tired of hearing that the cops are targeting every minority race on the planet! It amazes me that people can be that short sighted.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

trekgirl is offline Officer First Class
    I would consider this to be racial profiling, but that doesn't make it bad. This is AZ, where most illegal aliens are going to be hispanics. So there are probably going to be mostly calls dealing with hispanics. So yeah its racial profiling-but its not bad in this case, its necessary.

TXCharlie is offline Former & Future Reserve Officer
    Quote Originally Posted by wacopnewbie View Post
    I would consider this to be racial profiling, but that doesn't make it bad. This is AZ, where most illegal aliens are going to be hispanics. So there are probably going to be mostly calls dealing with hispanics. So yeah its racial profiling-but its not bad in this case, its necessary.
    +1 - Whenever you hear a suspect described as a "white male", that's both racial and sex profiling - It casts suspicion on every white male in the country unless the description is more detailed than that, and eliminates every black, hispanic, and asian from suspicion.

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

Lazy Fed is offline Curmudgeon
    All right who is the fucking retard that voted yes???????
    dulce et decorum est pro patria mori

Quote Originally Posted by Resident Smart Ass
    Life is to short not to experience Lazy Fed
    ___ ___ ___
    {o,o} {-.-} {0,0}
    |)__) |)_(| (__(|
    -"-"- -"-"- -"-"-
    O RLY?? YA RLY NO WAI!!!!

The incoherent statements given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency or any other person for that matter. They are MY PERSONAL DELUSIONAL FANTASIES and I accept sole responsibility as such as I am either drunk or stressed out of my mind.

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by wacopnewbie View Post
    Do what?! That's the same as me writing a ticket to a person of color in my area is racism. I live in a parish where the ratio of white to black is almost 50/50. That means theres a one in two chance of me pulling over a person of color. Racial profiling is never a good thing.
    I promote calls for service from the public all the time. I wish we had a hotline. Oh wait, we do. It's E911. If someone calls with information concerning an issue law enforcement should check I'm elated. And I check it out.
    It's the public I protect and serve. They have that right. Entering the US illegally is against the law. I'll personally take any legal edge I can get.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

pc830cop is offline Just another squirrel looking for a NUT
    Verified LEO
    Sheriff Joe Arpaio for President of the United States 2008

Searching for Evil and the Perfect donut (Love that book)

"It's not who you are underneath, but what you do that defines you"
    -Batman Begins

There are gains for all our losses
    There are balms for all our pain
    But, when youth, the dream, departs
    It takes something from our hearts
    And it never comes again

"Captain, it is I Ensign Pulver. I just threw your damn palm tree overboard. Now, what's all this crap about no movie tonight?" -Ens Pulver in Mister Roberts

The man who will go where his colors go, without asking who will fight a phantom foe in the jungle and mountain range, without counting, and who will suffer and die in the midst of incredible hardship, without complaint, is still what he has always been, from Imperial Rome to sceptered Britain to democratic America. He is the stuff of which legions are made. ...His pride is in his colors and his regiment, his training hard and thorough and coldly realistic, to fit him for what he must face...and his obedience is to his orders. He has been called United State Marine.
    T.R. Fehrenbach, This Kind of War

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    The move was made in response to Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio's hotline, launched last month, that encourages people to report information on undocumented immigrants.
    Establishing a tip line for citizens to report crime isn't profiling of any kind. Last time I checked, amnesty hadn't been passed. How ludicrous an argument.

"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money."

That from the nunnery
    To war and arms I fly.
    - Lovelace

The opinions expressed by this poster are wholly his own, and should never be construed to even remotely be in representation of his employer, its agencies or assigns. In fact, they probably fail to be in alignment with the opinions of any rational human being.

Cheech Guest
    CB tryin to get your post count up ?!?! Post whore!!!!

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheech View Post
    CB tryin to get your post count up ?!?! Post whore!!!!
    Technical difficulties. Remedied.

That from the nunnery
    To war and arms I fly.
    - Lovelace

Buttercup is offline Thrives in sunshine
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Quote Originally Posted by countybear View Post
    Establishing a tip line for citizens to report crime isn't profiling of any kind. Last time I checked, amnesty hadn't been passed. How ludicrous an argument.
    +1

trekgirl is offline Officer First Class
    Quote Originally Posted by TXCharlie View Post
    +1 - Whenever you hear a suspect described as a "white male", that's both racial and sex profiling - It casts suspicion on every white male in the country unless the description is more detailed than that, and eliminates every black, hispanic, and asian from suspicion.
    Thats exactly what I was getting at!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information