Welcome to the APBWeb.
    OfficerResource.com is offline Site Administrator
    Verified LEO

Father Attacks Sons Killer IN Court

This happened in our Local court room!
    http://www.wtov9.com/news/13832486/detail.html
    CLICK ABOVE LINK TO SEE GRAPHIC VIDEO

STEUBENVILLE, Ohio -- The father of a shooting victim was detained after he attacked his son's killer in the courtroom Monday as dozens of people looked on.

Antonio Clifford, of Cincinnati, admitted in court that he robbed and shot 28-year-old Joshua Sweat, of Weirton, in a parking lot last year in downtown Steubenville.

After the plea, Mike Sweat, the victim's father, leaped and began to choke Clifford. Amid screams from both the victim's and the killer's families, it took dozens of law enforcement officers to control the crowd.

Moments later, everyone was ordered out of the courtroom and Sweat was detained. He was later released, county officials said.The outburst was in the wake of impact statements from the victim's mother and sister.

"I truly believe if you are ever set free to live in society, there will be another victim -- another family -- that is shattered," Ginger Sweat, the victim's mother, said to Clifford.

The defense and prosecution came to a plea agreement after deciding that, based on the evidence from the crime, Clifford did not initiate the robbery that took place.

Clifford, who faced the death penalty, was sentenced to 33 years to life in jail after he pleaded to aggravated murder, aggravated robbery and tampering with evidence.

The aggravated murder charge carried the most weight, with a 20-year sentence.

Assistant Jefferson County Prosecutor Jane Keenan previously said Sweat came from Weirton to the empty parking lot in downtown Steubenville to meet with the three men for a drug deal. Police said the men first robbed Sweat, then Clifford shot and killed him.

Clifford is one of three men who was charged in connection with the crime. Byron Johnson, of Steubenville, is currently serving a 15-year sentence after pleading guilty to murder.

Patrick Thurman, also of Steubenville, previously pleaded guilty to aggravated robbery and tampering with evidence.

Stay with NEWS9 and WTOV9.com for continuing coverage.

-Renee Cardelli, Natalie Pasquarella & Shelby Zarotney, NEWS9

k-9max is offline K9 Officer
    Verified LEO
    Yeah, i seen this on the local news the other night.
    the awesome part is, they didnt press any charges on this guy for thumping the shit out of the murderer.
    I thought i seen you in there reca.
    wasnt you the guy that just watched from the back of the room for a minute., lol
    YEAH, IM THE BERRIES, AND CHERRIES IN YOUR REAR VIEW MIRROR.

Handle every stressful situation like a dog.
    Eat it, Play with it, or piss on it, and walk away!

As smart as man is, we haven't been able to invent a machine that can smell drugs or tell us where a person has walked, Dogs are sophisticated investigative tools!

10-42Adam is offline Major
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    I don't blame the dad, if I were him I'd be mighty pissed, too. I'm glad no charges were pressed against him. May the murderer rot in hell...
    Calm Like A Bomb...

A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. An optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty.
    -Winston Churchill

kjlaw is online now Swamp Mafia Proud!!!
    Verified LEO
    I can't say that I blame him and will be the first to admit that put in his place I would most likley react the same way.
    Lead from the front and always remember those who came first.

Capt. Ocativo "OX" Gonzalez
    EOW 6/16/06

Always remember that a casket is hotter than your vest.

Quote Originally Posted by conalabu View Post
    Soon the whole world will be in the hands of the Swamp Mafia.

countybear is offline BDRT - Baby Daddy Removal Team
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Compare the hollow and dramatized "outrage" from trumped-up activist groups against this man's rage and righteous indignation, and I think you will be able to see clearly where sincerity resides.

May almighty God grant an extra measure of grace on this family, and may those responsible for his son's death find justice to be an extention of our heavenly Father's rage as well.

"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money."
    - Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Tell me not, Sweet, I am unkind,
    That from the nunnery
    Of thy chaste breast and quiet mind
    To war and arms I fly.
    - Lovelace

The opinions expressed by this poster are wholly his own, and should never be construed to even remotely be in representation of his employer, its agencies or assigns. In fact, they probably fail to be in alignment with the opinions of any rational human being.

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    If they even thought about charging the father with assault, I'm sure any even half assed lawyer could get him off on simple temporary insanity.
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

TXCharlie is offline Former & Future Reserve Officer
    It might be ill-advised for him to try to ask for an appeal or parole - I'm sure the dad will be waiting on him to be released

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

Thread Information