Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Emily is offline Corporal

How Does Your Department Handle Gun Crime?

Mayor Addresses "Stain on Our Community"
    http://www.wowt.com/news/headlines/9076981.html

Omaha Mayor Mike Fahey is proposing a mix of tougher penalties and stronger law enforcement to curb the wave of violence that has surfaced in the city this summer.

At a news conference Friday morning, the mayor said, "The root cause of most of this violence is poverty and family breakdown," and he said there is no easy fix.

He is proposing changes in city ordinances to toughen penalties for gun crimes and he is proposing a stronger police presence in the streets, including a beefed-up gang unit.

He also says that security cameras are being put in place. One is already in operation, two more will be installed and he says he is exploring funding in the private sector for more.

The mayor called the violence, "a stain on our community."
    Police Chief Thomas Warren, also speaking at the news conference, said, "We do believe that many of these incidents are gang related," but he said that isn't the sole problem. "It may be drugs; it may be domestic," he said.

One key area of concern remains getting the public more involved in reporting information on criminal activity.

The mayor said, "We've had people come up and help us on some of these shootings. And we want to say thank you. But we need more."

Omaha Police have confiscated more than 1,000 illegal guns in 2006 and 2007.

The Mayor says, "It is obvious there are many more out there. To address this, I will ask the city council to immediately amend our city ordinances to put more pressure on young offenders and reduce the number of illegal guns on our streets."

The mayor and police chief hope the threat of guaranteed jail time for anyone caught with an illegal gun will cut down on gun crime.

Fahey's proposal outlined Friday calls for:

Increases in jail time for gun crimes
    Increasing the police gang unit by three officers
    Installing security cameras in problem areas

The reallocation of police resources can already been seen in the streets. On Thursday night a report of shots being fired brought at least nine cruisers to the scene. A number of undercover gang unit members responded. A neighbor reported hearing six shots fired at two gang members on bicycles but investigators could find no evidence of a shooting.

A call like that doesn't usually command that much attention but after more than a shooting a night for more than a month in the city, it does now.

Omaha City Councilman Jim Vokal says, "We asked the chief if he needed more officers -- how many he would like in an optimal situation if we could find funding. And he said no more than is in the budget. That's surprising. It seems pretty logical that if you put 30 to 40 more officers in North Omaha, things are going to be better."

The mayor said it's more about what taxpayers can afford but some councilmen don't believe his plan goes far enough to bring calm to the neighborhoods.

Councilman Chuck Sigerson says, "You're gonna take a gun off the street here, a gun there but it's not going to put a dent in overall crime. Gun laws do not prevent crimes."

While the mayor doesn't favor the added personnel backed by some council members, all seem to agree on use of the cameras.

Some who've been living through the recent violence say it's a good start but others wonder if it'll make any real difference at all.

Like most Omahans Dan Dillion was watching the violence from a distance until it came knocking on his door. The recent shooting aimed at a postal carrier also peppered Dan's house.

As for the mayor's plan to deal with the violence, Dan says, "I think it's too little, too late. It may be too late now. It's got to be a big impact; something to come in and make a difference."

Dillion admits that he doesn't know what that something would be.

Dian Fulton calls the mayor's plan a start. "You got to start somewhere," she said but she's not convinced hi-tech security cameras will do anything other than chase crime into other neighborhoods that don't have cameras.

She agrees with Fahey on one point: a key to solving the problem lies with individuals.

"Everyone needs to get involved in the neighborhood. That is the answer," she said. "Come out of your house. Open your eyes. Talk. Get involved."

Dan Dillion says, "We wake up every day and see it on the news, read it in the paper. We just move on, accept it and move on. I think that's what our society has become. Accept it and hope it doesn't happen to you. Someday it might be you. And it might be worse."

Dillion says the shooting that injured his mailman and damaged his home was the last straw. He says he's planning to move away from Omaha and Nebraska.

Tuff is offline Redneckwannabepopo
    Quote Originally Posted by Emily View Post
    a key to solving the problem lies with individuals.

"Everyone needs to get involved in the neighborhood. That is the answer," she said. "Come out of your house. Open your eyes. Talk. Get involved."

The key to most crimes lies in that statement right there..
    http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm...ndid=197722498

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

k-9max is offline K9 Officer
    Verified LEO
    They go to jail,
    then the prosecutor gets the report, goes to grand jury, ect...

evidently yall have a huge problem out there. we are not yet experiencing the shootings yet.
    although i will say, the drugs have increased dramatically, the "Detroit Boys", are moving into towns around the county here, and they are bringing alot of narcotics with them.
    we here reports of these gang members, carrying auto weapons ect.., but havent had the pleasure of finding any yet on stops.

now , if you were to travel 25 minutes north of here, they are shooting all day long.
    I think as a County, we are pretty lucky, we havent had the murders like other counties around here.
    i think we are averaging like 2 MAYBE 3 a year.

the violence is increasing, the drugs are ridiculous, and more gang members are moving into the area, so i expect its going to get worse.
    YEAH, IM THE BERRIES, AND CHERRIES IN YOUR REAR VIEW MIRROR.

Handle every stressful situation like a dog.
    Eat it, Play with it, or piss on it, and walk away!

As smart as man is, we haven't been able to invent a machine that can smell drugs or tell us where a person has walked, Dogs are sophisticated investigative tools!

countybear is offline BDRT - Baby Daddy Removal Team
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by k-9max View Post
    ... although i will say, the drugs have increased dramatically, the "Detroit Boys", are moving into towns around the county here, and they are bringing alot of narcotics with them.
    we here reports of these gang members, carrying auto weapons ect...

OK, please forgive the momentary thread de-rail while I pick my big ass up off of the floor...

max, exactly what is an "oozie"???

"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money."
    - Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Tell me not, Sweet, I am unkind,
    That from the nunnery
    Of thy chaste breast and quiet mind
    To war and arms I fly.
    - Lovelace

The opinions expressed by this poster are wholly his own, and should never be construed to even remotely be in representation of his employer, its agencies or assigns. In fact, they probably fail to be in alignment with the opinions of any rational human being.

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Quote Originally Posted by countybear View Post

OK, please forgive the momentary thread de-rail while I pick my big ass up off of the floor...

An uzi with a vowel control problem?

\\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

Doc_Holliday is offline California Dreaming...
    Quote Originally Posted by countybear View Post

I had a friend once who had an "oozie"....shot of penicillin cleared his right up
    500 fights, that's the number I figured when I was a kid. 500 street fights and you could consider yourself a legitimate tough guy. You need them for experience. To develop leather skin. So I got started. Of course along the way you stop thinking about being tough and all that. It stops being the point. You get past the silliness of it all. But then, after, you realize that's what you are.

Emily is offline Corporal

Verified LEO
    ???????????

i guess i missed the joke??

You ok there, CB??

As smart as man is, we haven't been able to invent a machine that can smell drugs or tell us where a person has walked, Dogs are sophisticated investigative tools!

Verified LEO
    okkkkk, we back to topic now?

Thread Information