Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Terminator is offline BANNED

John Edwards money linked to losses of homes from Hurricane Katrina foreclosures

Once again, John Edwards' money is getting in the way of his message.

His democratic presidential campaign spent Friday responding to a front page Wall Street Journal report showing that a company that Edwards worked for and has invested $16 million in, Fortress Investment Group, owns mortgage companies that have sought to foreclose on homeowners in hurricane-ravaged New Orleans.

Thirty four homes were identified as being the subject of foreclosures.

Edwards, who made a fortune as a trial lawyer, worked for Fortress from late 2005 through 2006. Campaign finance reports show its employees and family members have contributed heavily to his campaign.

Edwards promised to pull out of any investments he had that profited from the the homeowners losses.

As a North Carolina resident (where he was a 1 term Senator), I have have said what an arrogant, prima donna phony this guy is all along. I am not shocked by this. He absolutely cannot related to the poor people of America. He talks about two different America's, but it's clear which part of America he belongs to...the wealthy.

countybear is offline BDRT - Baby Daddy Removal Team
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator

Exclamation A peek at corruption??

Once again, John Edwards' money is getting in the way of his message.

His democratic presidential campaign spent Friday responding to a front page Wall Street Journal report showing that a company that Edwards worked for and has invested $16 million in, Fortress Investment Group, owns mortgage companies that have sought to foreclose on homeowners in hurricane-ravaged New Orleans.

Thirty four homes were identified as being the subject of foreclosures.

Edwards, who made a fortune as a trial lawyer, worked for Fortress from late 2005 through 2006. Campaign finance reports show its employees and family members have contributed heavily to his campaign.

Edwards promised to pull out of any investments he had that profited from the the homeowners losses.
    "Where I come from, what matters the most isn't how much you have, it's how much you give. Work gives pride, dignity, and hope to our lives and our communities. And so the President is wrong: America is not, and never wished to be, a Wealth Society...

First, let's help folks buy a home they can actually keep. Today, the rich get subsidies while the poor get ravaged by predatory lenders. We should do something different: crack down on those lenders and offer a new deal to poor families just going into the workforce: for the first five years you are working, we will set aside up to $1,000 in an account to help you make home payments. After five years, you'll have up to $5,000 for down payments." - John Edwards (emphasis added)

http://johnedwards.com/news/speeches/poverty20050919/ (I bet that link won't last long)

Notice the date? Immediately following Katrina.

Actions speak sooo much louder than words, John-boy. Your only defense is plausible denial, but since you actually WORKED for these folks and have millions of dollars invested in that company, I guess they weren't just donors to your campaign. That might make denial difficult to claim for you.

It does seem eerily fitting though, that the program you propose (government subsidies for home payments to benefit the underprivileged), could actually benefit this company you have invested so heavily in. Amazing as it may be, I'll be willing to bet that the press won't take this information and run with it...

Feces always float. Please spread your lies to someone who'll buy them.

"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money."
    - Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Tell me not, Sweet, I am unkind,
    That from the nunnery
    Of thy chaste breast and quiet mind
    To war and arms I fly.
    - Lovelace

The opinions expressed by this poster are wholly his own, and should never be construed to even remotely be in representation of his employer, its agencies or assigns. In fact, they probably fail to be in alignment with the opinions of any rational human being.

TXCharlie is offline Former & Future Reserve Officer
    Quote Originally Posted by Terminator View Post
    Replay of the Clintons and Gore, who would always respond with the phrase "we will return the money" whenever their campaign got caught doing something wrong.

Why is it that you cops don't set bank robbers free when they promise to return the money? It seems to work so well with politicians

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

k-9max is offline K9 Officer
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by TXCharlie View Post
    Replay of the Clintons and Gore, who would always respond with the phrase "we will return the money" whenever their campaign got caught doing something wrong.

Why is it that you cops don't set bank robbers free when they promise to return the money? It seems to work so well with politicians
    This is not our job.
    our job is to take the report, do the investigation, make arrests, and complete all the paperwork that follows the investigation.

Its the Judge, and the jury that can regulate when people are set free, after we do our job.
    YEAH, IM THE BERRIES, AND CHERRIES IN YOUR REAR VIEW MIRROR.

Handle every stressful situation like a dog.
    Eat it, Play with it, or piss on it, and walk away!

As smart as man is, we haven't been able to invent a machine that can smell drugs or tell us where a person has walked, Dogs are sophisticated investigative tools!

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Just curious but does any other political group screw up than the demobrats? Seems to be all I hear about.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

TXCharlie is offline Former & Future Reserve Officer
    Quote Originally Posted by k-9max View Post
    This is not our job.
    our job is to take the report, do the investigation, make arrests, and complete all the paperwork that follows the investigation.

Its the Judge, and the jury that can regulate when people are set free, after we do our job.
    That was my point - It's not the Federal election regulators' job to determine innocence either. They need to file complaints with the FBI or whoever when they have evidence that a crime was committed, so the FBI can investigate it, make arrests, and send the cases to court for prosecution.

Unfortunately, no complainant with legal standing = no crime, and in the case of campaign finance violations, I think the bureaucrats are the ones with legal standing to file a complaint, and the only ones who would be privy to the evidence, but I'm not sure how that works.

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

Thread Information