Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Buttercup is offline Thrives in sunshine
    Supporting Member Lvl 1

Police car, van collide, officer is ticketed

Seaside officer cited for improper turn
    Posted by the Ocean County Observer on 08/21/07

BY KEITH RUSCITTI
    STAFF WRITER

TOMS RIVER The normally routine procedure of transferring a prisoner from Seaside Heights to Ocean County Jail proved to be anything but yesterday afternoon.
    A Seaside Heights patrol car transporting a prisoner was involved in a two-car collision that resulted in two minor injuries and a summons for the officer driving the car, according to Toms River Police Chief Michael Mastronary.
    The crash occurred at approximately 2:30 p.m. at the intersection of Route 37 and Hooper Avenue in Toms River.
    A Seaside Heights police vehicle driven by Officer Michael Scarpa, 23, was taking John Campbell, 58, to be detained at Ocean County Jail on a warrant from Atlantic County.
    The police car tried to make an illegal left turn from a Route 37 westbound lane onto Hooper, according to police.
    That intersection requires left turns be made through a jughandle.
    As he initiated the left turn, Scarpa activated his marked unit lights and attempted to turn into a southbound lane of Hooper Avenue.
    Thomas Goodwin, 67, of Berkeley was driving a Toyota van east on Route 37 as the patrol car attempted to turn onto Hooper Avenue. The van and the police car collided, according to Mastronardy.
    Toms River Police EMS transported Scarpa and Campbell to Community Medical Center, where they were treated and released for minor injuries.
    Toms River Traffic Safety Sgt. Guy Murray issued a summons to Scarpa for an improper turn at the intersection.
    Toms River Officers Chris Anderson and Sean McHugh are overseeing the investigation.

jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    hm....he had his overhead emergency lights on....and got a ticket?
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

Buttercup is offline Thrives in sunshine
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    I thought that was highly unusual, to say the least.

Motorwaycop is offline Retired Plod
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Putting on emergency lights, (Over here certainly) doesn't exempt you from driving without proper care, especially if you are contravening a No left turn etc.
    Sometimes if another vehicle is involved it is a case of the officer attending having to be seen to be acting impartially.
    It sucks to have to ticket or report another officer but sometimes you can't do anything else. Well at that stage anyway!
    the sole advantage of power is that you can do more good.
    ( Baltasar Gracian )

Willowdared is offline Bendy not Breaky
    Quote Originally Posted by jmur5074 View Post
    hm....he had his overhead emergency lights on....and got a ticket?
    But, he was transporting a prisoner, not responding to an emergency.
    Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

Do not puff, shade, skew, tailor, firm up, stretch, massage,
    or otherwise distort statements of fact.
    FBI Special Agent Coleen Rowley

Jks9199 is online now The Reason People Hate Cops & Causer of War
    Verified LEO
    Sadly... I see two problems.

First, he missed his turn. No biggie... But that led to the problems:

He activated his lights to fix the missed turn, not respond to an emergency or stop a car. Problem... Then he didn't make sure that the traffic stopped or the way was clear... Problem.

But, citing him wasn't necessary. I'd suspect the IA will hammer him more than a ticket...

Star Man is offline Guns only have two enemies; rust and politicians
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Jks9199 View Post
    Sadly... I see two problems.

First, he missed his turn. No biggie... But that led to the problems:

He activated his lights to fix the missed turn, not respond to an emergency or stop a car. Problem... Then he didn't make sure that the traffic stopped or the way was clear... Problem.

But, citing him wasn't necessary. I'd suspect the IA will hammer him more than a ticket...

Sounds like double jeopardy. Either a ticket or IA, but it should not be both (unless the IA was for the improper use of the lights and not the turn itself).

Thread Information