Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Elle is offline Banned

School Suspends Boy For Sketching Gun

Associated Press
    Tucson, Arizona | Published: 08.22.2007
    MESA - Chandler school officials have suspended a 13-year-old boy for sketching a picture that resembled a gun, saying it posed a threat to classmates.

But parents of the Payne Junior High School student said the drawing was a harmless doodle of a fake laser, and school officials overreacted.
    "I just can't believe that there wasn't another way to resolve this," said Paula Mosteller, the boy's mother. "He's so upset. The school made him feel like he committed a crime. They are doing more damage than good."

The Mostellers said the drawing did not show blood, bullets, injuries, or target any human. They said it was just a drawing that resembled a gun.
    But Payne Junior High administrators thought the sketch was enough of a threat and gave the boy a five-day suspension, later reduced to three days.
    Chandler district spokesman Terry Locke said the sketch was "absolutely considered a threat," and threatening words or pictures are punishable.

http://www.azstarnet.com/sn/hourlyupdate/197639.php

countybear is offline BDRT - Baby Daddy Removal Team
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Show me the sketch. Then I'll comment.

"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money."
    - Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Tell me not, Sweet, I am unkind,
    That from the nunnery
    Of thy chaste breast and quiet mind
    To war and arms I fly.
    - Lovelace

The opinions expressed by this poster are wholly his own, and should never be construed to even remotely be in representation of his employer, its agencies or assigns. In fact, they probably fail to be in alignment with the opinions of any rational human being.

bayern is offline Officer First Class
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Elle View Post
    Associated Press
    Tucson, Arizona | Published: 08.22.2007
    MESA - Chandler school officials have suspended a 13-year-old boy for sketching a picture that resembled a gun, saying it posed a threat to classmates.

But parents of the Payne Junior High School student said the drawing was a harmless doodle of a fake laser, and school officials overreacted.
    "I just can't believe that there wasn't another way to resolve this," said Paula Mosteller, the boy's mother. "He's so upset. The school made him feel like he committed a crime. They are doing more damage than good."

The Mostellers said the drawing did not show blood, bullets, injuries, or target any human. They said it was just a drawing that resembled a gun.
    But Payne Junior High administrators thought the sketch was enough of a threat and gave the boy a five-day suspension, later reduced to three days.
    Chandler district spokesman Terry Locke said the sketch was "absolutely considered a threat," and threatening words or pictures are punishable.

http://www.azstarnet.com/sn/hourlyupdate/197639.php
    ABSOLUTELY CONSIDERED A THREAT = A PICTURE?? What kind of idiots are running our schools. I guess they are raising sheep out there in Arizona.

Elle is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by countybear View Post
    Show me the sketch. Then I'll comment.
    http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/story/95563
    Sketch is to the right.

Pudge is online now Site Admin
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    That's ridiculous. Hell, if it didn't have a trigger I wouldn't even think gun off the bat.

I graduated in 97 and even then you could still bring your shotgun to school to make a stock in woodshop.
    "Like" us on facebook! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Offic...93147194083228

Follow members of O/R as they tweet a "Ride a long" on their shifts on the front page of the site and on twitter at the following links:

www.twitter.com/PoliceRideAlong
    www.twitter.com/lewisipso
    www.twitter.com/ORgopher
    www.twitter.com/SecondChance122
    www.twitter.com/pojmm
    www.twitter.com/ORGIB

The opinions given in my posts & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Pudge" on Officerresource.com

CTR man is offline Officer First Class
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    More and more smart parents are resorting to homeschooling just to get away from this very crap.

Choose The Right. When you're doing whats right, then you have nothing to worry about.

Not a LEO

In memory of Sgt. Howard K. Stevenson 1965 - 2005. Ceres Police Dept.
    In memory of Robert N. Panos 1955 - 2008 Ceres Police Dept.

Willowdared is offline Bendy not Breaky
    Quote Originally Posted by Elle View Post
    That's not even the actual picture...the school refused to let the paper see it, and also refused to let the Dad make a copy.

Hmmmmmmmmmmm

I have a friend in Tucson who pulled her Grandson out to homeschool. They have an academy that is free, gives you a computer, covers internet access, and all your teaching materials.
    Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

Do not puff, shade, skew, tailor, firm up, stretch, massage,
    or otherwise distort statements of fact.
    FBI Special Agent Coleen Rowley

depusm12 is offline Patrolman
    Verified LEO
    That is absolutely insane, that's like the school district a couple of years ago that suspended a kid for having a butter knife in his lunch box.
    James
    Dept of the Army Civilian Police
    "Loyalty above all else, except Honor"
    Never forget those who fell on 9/11/01
    S&W beats 4 Aces every time

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Maybe the school officials have never seen a gun before so they thought the drawing was the real thing?

Cidp24 is offline Tempus Fugit
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Rotate that pic 90 degrees counter clockwise and you have a building with a porch.
    "It wouldn't take much for me to up and run...
    to another life somewhere in the sun."
    "There's something inherently wrong with having to put on a bullet-proof vest and a gun to go to work."-(An old friend)

Any statements or opinions given in my postings or profile do not reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employer or anyone else other than me. They are my personal opinions or statements only, thereby releasing my employer , any other entity, or any other person of any liability or involvement in anything posted under the username "Cidp24" on O/R.

Jackalope is offline Yell O
    I thought it looked like a bus.

This is yet another of many examples of why the government has no business running schools.
    "I'm not a coward,
    I've just never been tested
    I'd like to think that if I was,
    I would pass"
    ~Mighty Mighty Bosstones~

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Are there even guns that look like that, with windows all over?

I think it's silly to suspend the student, but the sketch does make me wonder if they need to make him take some remedial art classes.

Mac120 is offline Semper Fi
    This is why I hate people......I'd like to get all the people that are responsible for this idiotic decision and slap the crap out of em

Tuff is offline Redneckwannabepopo
    And to think that these idiots are helping teach our children..... what a sad day......
    http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm...ndid=197722498

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

PCSD722 is offline Rookie
    It is kind of strange that they would not let the father make a copy of the picture to show his wife. I like my decision to home school my daughter more and more every day. I remember something from a few years back where one student kissed another, 3rd or 4th grade I think and they either tried to or did charge him with sexual assualt.
    Maybe we should look into the "closets" of some of the teachers and board members and see how well they really measure up. Dont get me wrong I know a lot of good teachers, unfortunately they are older and many have been laid off or retired to make room for new younger teachers.
    Stay safe, let's all go home.

SaraJ is offline Banned
    Being a teacher I realize the responsibility that we teachers have for our students. I try to be fair and unbiased. I try to treat my children (when I teach children which is not often) like adults and I ask them to behave like adults. I think the majority of my kids have shown a much more grown up attitude than the administrators of this school did. As I've said before, and the advice I give parents also, home study is where it's at nowadays.

213th is offline Solipsist
    Quote Originally Posted by Pudge113 View Post
    then you could still bring your shotgun to school to make a stock in woodshop.
    Thats what I like about Alaska...or the town I live in up here anyway. They use common sense. In fact, they evaluate the teachers profficiency with firearms, as many field trips are outdoors and the teachers are required to carry due to the wildlife.
    He who has the money, signs the cheques.
    He who signs the cheques, makes the rules.
    He who makes the rules, has the power.
    He who has the power, has the money.

Thread Information