Welcome to the APBWeb.
    FishTail Guest

Post Heroin addict, 11, found slumped on school desk

Police and social services are holding talks today, following the case of an 11-year-old girl being treated for heroin abuse.

Authorities were alerted when the child fell ill during lessons at a primary school in Glasgow last week.

She is reported to have been smoking the drug for more than two months, buying it from a dealer outside a shopping centre in the Pollok area of the city.

Investigation

Social services have launched an investigation and Glasgow City Council said discussions into the case would resume today.

Pollok MSP Johann Lamont, Scotland's deputy minister for communities, will also be speaking to police to discuss "any wider issues" the case may have raised.

She said: "What we don't know is whether this is a unique case or whether we are seeing children experimenting with heroin at an earlier age.

"I hope the former is the case and I hope we can support the girl and her family to deal with the problem."

Meanwhile deputy justice minister Hugh Henry said the case gave further reinforcement that the government must keep up its broad approach to tackling drug abuse in society.

The politicians were joined by members of the community and drug education groups in their expressions of shock at yesterday's revelations.

Marguerita O'Neill, a community health worker, added: "I know there are drugs in every scheme (estate) but this is horrifying.

"She was only 11, it terrifies the life out of me."

Scotland Against Drugs director Alistair Ramsay said: "Thankfully incidents like this are very rare but when they occur they are truly shocking.

"Parents should not overreact but if they know their child well they will spot changes in behaviour very quickly and this will help with an early identification of a problem."

Strathclyde Police also confirmed an investigation was under way.

Daily Mail

I know they're starting young but geez...

MisterK is offline Monkey Man
    A little heroin then it's time for Spongebob Squarepants. ack
    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft. -
    Theodore Roosevelt

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

FishTail Guest
    And people wonder why we have the highest rate of teenage pregnancy in Western Europe? They're all friggin stoned!

Thread Information