Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Star Man is offline Guns only have two enemies; rust and politicians
    Verified LEO

WWE suspends 10 wrestlers for Roids...

http://msn.foxsports.com/other/story...PHCP&GT1=10347

No names named yet in crackdown

/ Associated Press
    Posted: 11 minutes ago World Wrestling Entertainment has suspended 10 of its wrestlers for violations of a policy that tests for steroids and other drugs, the company said Thursday.Stamford-based WWE says it issued suspension notices based on independent information from the prosecutor's office in Albany County, N.Y., which has been investigating illegal steroid sales.
    Neither the WWE nor the Albany County district attorney's office would comment on the suspended wrestlers' identities Thursday. No criminal charges were filed, they said.
    The New York Daily News listed the following names of wrestlers identified as clients of Signature Pharmacy in Orlando: Randy Orton, Charles Haas Jr., Adam (Edge) Copeland, Robert (Booker T) Huffman, Shane Helms, Mike Bucci, Anthony Carelli, John (Johnny Nitro) Hennigan, Darren (William Regal) Matthews, Ken (Mr. Kennedy) Anderson, Eddie (Umaga) Fatu, Shoichi Funaki, Chavo Guerrero and Sylvain Grenier.
    The internet pharmacy was raided by Albany County and Florida officials in February.
    Under a WWE wellness policy instituted last year that requires tests for steroids and other drugs, a wrestler faces a 30-day suspension without pay for a first violation, a 60-day suspension for a second violation and firing for a third violation. Performers are tested at least four times per year.
    "We are very actively working to eradicate the use of steroids and performance enhancing drugs in the WWE," WWE spokesman Gary Davis said. "Today's action is part of that effort."
    WWE officials met this month with New York prosecutors investigating illegal steroid sales. Albany County prosecutor P. David Soares' office has said that pro wrestler Chris Benoit, who killed his family before hanging himself in June, and other WWE wrestlers had been clients of Signature Pharmacy. Investigators say Benoit had a steroid and other drugs in his system at the time.
    When Soares' office began investigating the illegal sale and distribution of controlled substances, he said, his office sought the help of WWE after a number of its wrestlers appeared on customer lists of clinics connected with Signature Pharmacy.
    Nine people, including three current or former physicians, have pleaded guilty, most affiliated with Internet and phone-order companies that filled orders for anabolic steroids and growth hormones through Signature and sent drugs to customers around the country, including Albany County.
    Signature's owners have pleaded not guilty.
    The Benoit case prompted the House Oversight and Government Reform Committee to ask WWE to turn over any information it has on steroid and drug abuse in pro wrestling. The committee has not yet scheduled a hearing on the case.
    WWE said the company's practice has been to not release the names of suspended wrestlers, but the company has notified performers that starting Nov. 1 the names of those suspended for violating the policy will be made public.
    WWE has about 160 wrestlers. WWE shares closed Thursday at $14.80, down 21 cents.

Terminator is offline BANNED
    I read that. This is very bad news for the WWE. Especially considering some of those names. Vince beat the government's steroid charges once, I don't know if he can do it again.

To recap, all in all, 20 past and present WWE wrestlers were listed as being clients of the busted Signature Pharmacy in Orlando. Of the 20 listed, 15 of them are currently contracted to WWE. Three are deceased (Brian Adams, Chris Benoit, Eddie Guerrero), one was recently released (Sylvain Grenier), and another wrestler was on the verge of being signed this week, if he hasn't already (Johnny Stamboli).

While not 100% official, the following ten wrestlers listed appear to be the wrestlers most likely to have been suspended by WWE after Sports Illustrated revealed that every single one of them purchased drugs over the Internet through Signature Pharmacy after the institution of the WWE Wellness Policy in February 2006 - a clear violation of the policy. WWE suspended 10 wrestlers today based upon information received in the Signature bust, though not necessarily these wrestlers. Here is SI's list again:

Charlie Haas- Purchased drugs as late as January 2007.

Chavo Guerrero - Purchased drugs as late as May 2006.

Edge - Purchased drugs as late as February 2007.

Funaki - Purchased somatropin in March 2006.

Gregory Helms - Purchased drugs as late as February 2007.

John Morrison - Purchased five different drugs as late as February 2007 .

Mr. Kennedy - Purchased three drugs between October 2006 and February 2007, including testosterone, which is an anabolic steroid Kennedy sternly claimed in a recent interview entitled 'WWE Stopped My Steroid Use' that he completely stopped doing steroids as soon as the WWE Wellness Policy was implemented. You can read the interview at this link

Randy Ortron - Purchased drugs as late as February 2007.

Umaga - Purchased Somatropin as late as December 2006.

William Regal - Purchased drugs as late as November 2006.

Of the ten listed, two currently hold WWE Championship belts, two more are involved in a major storyline, four more are active performers, and two are out indefinitely due to injury.

The following five WWE wrestlers were listed as being clients of the Signature Pharmacy as well, but their names didn't turn up on Sports Illustrated's list. It should be noted that Anthony Carelli aka Santino Marella didn't sign a contract with WWE until 2006, and the WWE Wellness Policy was implemented early that year, so it would be wise to assume that the following wrestlers haven't been totally cleared yet in regards to a possible suspension just because their names weren't listed in the Sports Illustrated article:

Batista
    Chris Masters
    King Booker
    Santino Marella
    Simon Dean

The following five wrestlers are no longer contracted to WWE. Three are deceased, one was recently released, and Stamboli's WWE status is unclear at the moment.

Brian Adams
    Chris Benoit
    Eddie Guerrero
    Johnny Stamboli
    Sylvain Grenier

In an interview on On the Record with Greta Van Susteren earlier today, WWE attorney Jerry McDevitt said that two more wrestlers may be suspended tomorrow. He said they have to talk with the talents to confirm information first before making a decision. McDevitt aso added that WWE independently confirmed all information it received from the DA before suspending the ten wrestlers earlier today. According to McDevitt, the ten suspensions are without pay and will last for either thirty or sixty days (depending on whether it was a first or second offense). Regarding why WWE aren't revealing names today of those suspended, McDevitt said, "It's a fair notice issue to us." Although he also noted that talent has been told that they will be publicly identified in the future should they violate the policy. "We do that in the belief that it will give greater transparency to the program and hopefully operate as a deterent to anybody who wishes to engage in this activity," McDevitt said. Furthermore, McDevitt said that it's not just a WWE problem. He said Signature Pharmacy was sending drugs to policemen, firemen, and pro athletes. He said that he heard that the NFL will be releasing names of players linked to the scandal in a few days.

kjlaw is offline Swamp Mafia Proud!!!
    Verified LEO
    Hard hit for the WWE
    Lead from the front and always remember those who came first.

Capt. Ocativo "OX" Gonzalez
    EOW 6/16/06

Always remember that a casket is hotter than your vest.

Quote Originally Posted by conalabu View Post
    Soon the whole world will be in the hands of the Swamp Mafia.

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I saw Vince interview with him saying their testing and policies are extremely strict and that Benoit was a rare incident. With such a strict roid policy and testing they have I wonder how so many have suddenly tested positive. I also wonder why they're taking action so long after the Beniot family tragedy.
    This could be a good reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Star Man View Post
    WWE shares closed Thursday at $14.80, down 21 cents.
    For all the wrestling fans, I hope it works out.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

Star Man is offline Guns only have two enemies; rust and politicians
    Verified LEO
    I don't follow WWE that much, but I recognize Batista. That guy is a poster child for roids,,, he's ripped!

Quote Originally Posted by lewisipso View Post
    With such a strict roid policy and testing they have I wonder how so many have suddenly tested positive.
    Not that I'm defending their actions but those wrestlers aren't suddenly testing positive. They were suspended because of the information that the WWE received that those superstars purchased drugs over the internet (some steroids, some not), a violation of their drug policy.

I don't think the WWE's policy is any worse than the NFL's, or any professional sport, however they're catching all the attention right now.

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Ahh...gotcha. It's a shame that it takes tragedy to get people to see how dangerous misuse of steriods are. Especially for an entertainment dollar. Hope they stay on it. It's a shame the information wasn't received earlier.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

Tuff is offline Redneckwannabepopo
    Here is a link to steroid use you might want to read...

http://www.elitefitness.com/articledata/efn/051506.html
    http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm...ndid=197722498

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by Tuff View Post
    Here is a link to steroid use you might want to read...

http://www.elitefitness.com/articledata/efn/051506.html
    Interesting website.

Tuff is offline Redneckwannabepopo
    Yeap, when I read that article , I simply said WOW.....
    http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm...ndid=197722498

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

Thread Information