Welcome to the APBWeb.
    TXCharlie is offline Former & Future Reserve Officer

Angry Football Coach Beats Wife with Concrete Block

Bryan Adams coach out on bond after assault arrest

Football head being held at Lew Sterrett Center

01:26 PM CDT on Friday, August 31, 2007

By HOLLY YAN and DAMON L. SAYLES / The Dallas Morning News
    hyan@dallasnews.com; dsayles@dallasnews.com

The head football coach at Bryan Adams was released from Dallas County jail early Friday after being accused of striking his wife in the head with a concrete block.

Mike Smiddy

Mike Smiddy, 36, was arrested Thursday and charged with aggravated assault causing serious bodily injury. Bond was set at $25,000, according to Lew Sterrett Justice Center records.

Police said Smiddy and his wife were arguing Monday evening at their Far East Dallas duplex when he threw a folding chair at her. He then picked up a block and "forcefully and intentionally" struck her in the forehead, a police report states.
    What started the argument at their home in the 1700 block of Mariposa Drive remains unclear.

Police said Smiddy refused to let his wife get medical help and took away her car keys and cellphone. She contacted a neighbor about three hours later and was taken to Doctors Hospital of Dallas, where she talked to officers.

Also Online
    Video: WFAA-TV reports

Police said the attack left part of her skull exposed and that she had bruises and scratches from other assaults by Smiddy.

DISD athletic director Jeff Johnson said Smiddy is on administrative leave and declined to comment further on the case.

The coach is 21-50 in seven seasons at Bryan Adams. His team finished 3-8 last year but made the playoffs for the first time since 1985. [who gives a fuck about his coaching record after he tried to kill his wife?]

The Bryan Adams football team is scheduled to open its season tonight against Samuell. Bryan Adams defensive coordinator Dorman Pryor will be the interim head coach.

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

Star Man is offline Guns only have two enemies; rust and politicians
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by TXCharlie View Post
    The coach is 21-50 in seven seasons at Bryan Adams. His team finished 3-8 last year but made the playoffs for the first time since 1985. [who gives a fuck about his coaching record after he tried to kill his wife?]
    No kidding.... Years ago I was sitting in a parking lot in a not too good part of town completing reports when I heard tires screeching and pop pop pop. I investigate and see two cars in a chase. The cars are shooting at each other in a running gun battle and I was able to get one of the cars stopped (stupid rookie move at the time I know). I am in a felony stop position waiting for back up to arrive when the first car that got away decides to turn around and find out why he's not being chased anymore. He comes right back to me and is now front bumper of his car to the front bumper of the car I stopped. I see one of the guns go flying out of the window on the car that returned and then I was faced with holding two car loads of suspects at bay until the calvary arrived.

Point of the story was the arrested subjects in one car were local high school thugs who played on the football team. I got a ton of calls from all kinds of people trying to get me to speak to the judge to release the thugs because they were needed for a game that coming weekend... My response... NO FRIGGIN WAY!! Needless to say they probably got released anyway as they went around me after that. I have dealt with at least one of the thugs NUMEROUS times since then after he got out of prison on unrelated armed robbery charges...... Gotta love the system----NOT

Beans is offline Street Cop
    Verified LEO
    Bad husband and a pretty shitty coach from that record. How do you make the playoffs at 3-8?
    The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Beans" on LEF.

Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Beans View Post
    Bad husband and a pretty shitty coach from that record. How do you make the playoffs at 3-8?
    Even worse competition.......

conalabu is offline Grasshopper
    Verified LEO
    Assmonkey. No friggen excuse for that kind of behavior.
    And Shepards we shall be,
    for thee, My Lord, for thee,
    Power hath descended forth from Thy hand,
    That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy Command.
    So we shall flow a river forth to Thee
    And teeming with souls will it ever be.
    In Nomine Patris, Et Filli, Et Spiritus Sancti.

Recidivator is offline Rookie
    Wait, there's a football team named an effeminate Canadian 80's singer? Sorry for the bad joke. I say we impale him and hang a sign on him.

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Bond was set at $25,000, according to Lew Sterrett Justice Center records.

Police said the attack left part of her skull exposed and that she had bruises and scratches from other assaults by Smiddy.

His team finished 3-8 last year but made the playoffs for the first time since 1985.
    Does anyone else smell a political favor for getting to the playoffs? Gotta love those sports icons. I hope she gets to land an iron frying pan to the side of his head in self defense.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

countybear is offline BDRT - Baby Daddy Removal Team
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Sounds like an attempted murder to me... but who's to question the infinite wisdom of the DA?

"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money."
    - Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Tell me not, Sweet, I am unkind,
    That from the nunnery
    Of thy chaste breast and quiet mind
    To war and arms I fly.
    - Lovelace

The opinions expressed by this poster are wholly his own, and should never be construed to even remotely be in representation of his employer, its agencies or assigns. In fact, they probably fail to be in alignment with the opinions of any rational human being.

BEB
    BEB is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by lewisipso View Post
    Does anyone else smell a political favor for getting to the playoffs? Gotta love those sports icons. I hope she gets to land an iron frying pan to the side of his head in self defense.
    Dunno, but he sure is being treated gently. From another report :

Police said Smiddy prevented his wife from getting medical help for several hours.

When doctors examined Tina Smiddy, they found bruises and scratches from previous abuse.

The coach presided over a pep rally at Bryan Adams Thursday afternoon but was arrested when he returned home.

The Dallas Independent School District has put him on paid administrative leave pending the outcome of the investigation.
    http://www.myfoxdfw.com/myfox/pages/...Y&pageId=3.2.1

TXCharlie is offline Former & Future Reserve Officer
    If I'm not mistaken, just the act of taking away her cell phone during an emergency is a high misdmeanor or low felony in Texas...

Which SHOULD ensure that the other charges go all the way, but you know how that goes.

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

SaraJ is offline Banned
    Favoritism is alive and well! Ain't that grand! At least for the shit that hit the woman. She should sue for divorce, get everything she can get her hands on and then leave town.

Willowdared is offline Bendy not Breaky
    Police said Smiddy refused to let his wife get medical help and took away her car keys and cellphone. She contacted a neighbor about three hours later and was taken to Doctors Hospital of Dallas, where she talked to officers.
    Aside from the felony DV, and felony assault with a deadly weapon...taking away or destroying a phone to prevent someone seeking help is also a felony.
    Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

Do not puff, shade, skew, tailor, firm up, stretch, massage,
    or otherwise distort statements of fact.
    FBI Special Agent Coleen Rowley

Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by PDawg View Post
    Aside from the felony DV, and felony assault with a deadly weapon...taking away or destroying a phone to prevent someone seeking help is also a felony.
    Same here. It's listed in our statute book under witness tampering. Preventing someone from reporting that a crime occurred is a felony. Taking the phone prevented the reporting of the crime and is a good pop here.

Willowdared is offline Bendy not Breaky
    Quote Originally Posted by Star Man View Post
    Same here. It's listed in our statute book under witness tampering. Preventing someone from reporting that a crime occurred is a felony. Taking the phone prevented the reporting of the crime and is a good pop here.
    Yup, and I forgot to specify Cali....but we always make a point of documenting in the text of the call if someone calls from a neighbor because the phone was taken/destroyed, or the cord pulled out of the wall.
    Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

Do not puff, shade, skew, tailor, firm up, stretch, massage,
    or otherwise distort statements of fact.
    FBI Special Agent Coleen Rowley

Thread Information