Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator

City Council to declare baggy pants 'nuisance'

The Plaquemine Board of Selectmen appears to be unanimous in its bid to outlaw the teen trend of baggy pants showing exposed underwear.

"It's pull 'em up or pay up," said Selectman Mickey Rivet, who proposed the ordinance.

"I'm not picking on anybody," Rivet told the city council as he presented it at a committee meeting Tuesday night. "They can be black, white, red, green or blue, male or female."

He said he has been asked by black and white citizens to take action against the trend, and that he wants to follow the trend of local governments - five municipalities and two parishes in Louisiana, and others around the country - in outlawing it.

Rivet said there are First Amendment issues, but said even Atlanta is adopting a ban. There it was proposed by a black city council member who declaimed the "epidemic" of the fashion style around the country.

Rivet said he talked to the city judge and the police chief about enforcing a new law, and they appeared to be in agreement.

"It comes under the indecency law," the councilman said. (hmm...not sure about that...http://www.legis.state.la.us/lss/lss.asp?doc=78258 )

City Attorney L. Phillip Canova, however, said he intentionally stayed away from putting the proposed ordinance under the indecency law, where the city would have to prove the style around prurient interest.

He said he put it instead under the city's nuisance ordinance. He thought that would be more defensible against the expected First Amendment challenge than making it a "fashion issue," although he noted later that "the whole idea is that we don't like people exposing half their under pants" or the top of thong panties.

"It's a public safety issue," the city attorney said. "If someone is crossing the street and his pants fall off, it's a problem." (What?! Hahahaha)

Canova said the proposed ordinance sets a fine of $200 or 30 days in jail for each violation, though a judge could require four or five days of community service instead.

"I totally agree with Phil about indecency," said Police Chief Orian Gulotta. "If it goes under that, I've got to prove who is sexually aroused by it." (They need to read the law. Indecency doesn't cover it)

Selectman Oscar Mellion said he totally agreed with outlawing baggy pants and exposed underwear.

"We need to adopt an ordinance and enforce it," he said. "It's got to stop.

"Whatever it takes," agreed Selectman Timmy Martinez.

"It has a much better chance under the nuisance law," Mayor Mark A. "Tony" Gulotta agreed.

Selectman Lin Rivet said most of the middle aged council members could remember the youthful fashion of the '60s and the 70s, which he indicated were tame by comparison.

"This is not anything about racial profiling," Lin Rivet added.

Lin Rivet said he would like to take the issue a step further by asking the Iberville Parish Council to pass a similar ordinance, and thereby get the 18th Judicial District judges involved, too.

Mickey Rivet said that might not be tenable in an election year for the Parish Council.

Selectman Jimmy Randle Jr. said he supported the ordinance, but wanted to see it enforced, not just another law on the books.

Selectman Ralph Stassi Jr. said employers have told him not to send them applicants who dress in baggy pants.

"These kids are being denied jobs," he said.

Plaquemine Police Capt. Kenneth (I'm usless) Payne asked the city council to consider the possible "ripple effect" of the ordinance.

If the council outlaw showing underpants, he said "what they're going to do next - they're not going to wear them. You might want to consider that."
    The proposed new section of the nuisance ordinance would make it illegal for "any person in any public place or in the view of the public to be found exposing his/her undergarments."

Asked if the broad nature of the proposal would put a woman whose bra strap had slipped in danger of arrest.

"I hope not," Canova said. (Good grief)

Generally, he noted, the nuisance ordinance covers "any person who is guilty of unreasonable, unwarranted or unlawful use of his property" to obstruct, cause offense or injure another person.

I would like to say this would work but most of the cite's, if any, will never make it to court. Much less be prosecuted. I don't see this ordinance making it for long. Mostly due to local politics.
    Anyone have anything like this?
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Isn't the prevalence of baggy pants a boon for law enforcement, since they make it harder for suspects to run fast?

cajunguy is offline I LOVE my ParaOrd .45ACP!
    Verified LEO
    The little Gulf coast town of Delcambre, LA passed an ordnance against "sagging" a few months ago.

If I recall correctly, Kinder (near Lake Charles) followed suit shortly thereafter, and just last week, Alexandria and Shreveport passed ordnances banning "droopy britches" also.

http://www.thetowntalk.com/apps/pbcs...=2007708290312

http://www.shreveporttimes.com/apps/...=2007708290331

http://www.shreveporttimes.com/apps/...=2007708280321

Looks like there's a trend going here, gang.

I used to tell my kids when I was teaching D.A.R.E. that walking around with your dirty underwear hanging out just wasn't "kewl" looking, as well as being disrespectful to others who had to look at 'em.
    The Swamp Mafia -
    "Heaven doesn't want us,
    and Hell's afraid we'll take over!!"

countybear is offline BDRT - Baby Daddy Removal Team
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Unless of course, you post a single billboard in a high-traffic area identifying the origin of wearing pants "low", which was once a means by which homosexual inmates would advertise their "availability" to other inmates in prison...

"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money."
    - Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Tell me not, Sweet, I am unkind,
    That from the nunnery
    Of thy chaste breast and quiet mind
    To war and arms I fly.
    - Lovelace

The opinions expressed by this poster are wholly his own, and should never be construed to even remotely be in representation of his employer, its agencies or assigns. In fact, they probably fail to be in alignment with the opinions of any rational human being.

cajunguy is offline I LOVE my ParaOrd .45ACP!
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by countybear View Post
    Unless of course, you post a single billboard in a high-traffic area identifying the origin of wearing pants "low", which was once a means by which homosexual inmates would advertise their "availability" to other inmates in prison...
    Most of these little pants sagging homo's would probably light up and ask, "Really? Wow!! Alriiiight!! "

The Swamp Mafia -
    "Heaven doesn't want us,
    and Hell's afraid we'll take over!!"

kjlaw is offline Swamp Mafia Proud!!!
    Verified LEO
    The parish council here just passed an ordinace this week banning baggy pants with a $100 fine for first offense an $200 for the second. The councilman who introduced this stated it's my job to make laws. It is up to the sheriff and courts to enforce them.
    Lead from the front and always remember those who came first.

Capt. Ocativo "OX" Gonzalez
    EOW 6/16/06

Always remember that a casket is hotter than your vest.

Quote Originally Posted by conalabu View Post
    Soon the whole world will be in the hands of the Swamp Mafia.

10-42Adam is offline Major
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    I think this is great. A lot of public schools in my area now have more strict dress codes which don't allow real baggy pants and I love it.
    Calm Like A Bomb...

A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. An optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty.
    -Winston Churchill

Terminator is offline BANNED
    Quote Originally Posted by kjlaw View Post
    The councilman who introduced this stated it's my job to make laws. It is up to the sheriff and courts to enforce them.
    Though he's technically right, it's public officials like that who make me nervous. This guy sounds like he could be trouble. Definitely not someone I would want to vote into office.

These baggy pants bans will be overturned guys, they're unconstitutional and the government has no business making a law about how you can wear your clothes (as long as it's not legally defined as indecent conduct), no matter how obnoxious it is.

Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    One of the towns in my Parish enacted a similar ordinance years ago. It was reapealed.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

bird1 is offline Corporal
    Verified LEO
    " The hardest thing about disarming an armed suspect is not slipping on your own shit "

Michael P. Gordon E.O.W 08 Aug 2004

The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are MY PERSONAL OPINIONS and I accept sole responsibility as such.

kjlaw is offline Swamp Mafia Proud!!!
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Terminator View Post
    Though he's technically right, it's public officials like that who make me nervous. This guy sounds like he could be trouble. Definitely not someone I would want to vote into office.
    Term Scary thing is this guy was an officer in my department in the past. He was let go for lets say failing to follow the chain of evidence as a CSI.

Yes this guy should never have been voted into office in the first place.

Gotta love Louisiana politics!!
    Lead from the front and always remember those who came first.

Capt. Ocativo "OX" Gonzalez
    EOW 6/16/06

Always remember that a casket is hotter than your vest.

Quote Originally Posted by conalabu View Post
    Soon the whole world will be in the hands of the Swamp Mafia.

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    I think if every woman were to point and laugh every time one of these fashion horrors were spotted, the problem would dry up on its own.
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    You are absolutely correct. Unfortunately rebellious, famboyant lifestyles seem to be attractive in some sense. Males will do anything to support that attraction. However idiotic.

Terminator is offline BANNED
    Quote Originally Posted by kjlaw View Post
    Term Scary thing is this guy was an officer in my department in the past. He was let go for lets say failing to follow the chain of evidence as a CSI.

Yes this guy should never have been voted into office in the first place.

Well, color me surprised.

SaraJ is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Ducky View Post
    I think if every woman were to point and laugh every time one of these fashion horrors were spotted, the problem would dry up on its own.

That's what I do!! We had a comedian here called Cantinflas and one of his trademarks was the low rider baggy pants. So I just ask the kid if he's trying to imitate Cantinflas and be a clown. (To call someone a clown is like saying they're childish.) Not something a 17-year-old cholo wants to hear.

CTR man is offline Officer First Class
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Quote Originally Posted by countybear View Post
    HA!!! I knew that rumor was true! Here's what I think we could do to alleviate that problem. (Taken from 10 rules for dating my daughter) We probably wouldn't be able to get away with it, though. It's the thought that counts.

Quote Originally Posted by CTR man View Post
    Rule Three:
    I am aware that it is considered fashionable for boys of your age to wear their trousers so loosely that they appear to be falling off their hips. Please don't take this as an insult, but you and all of your friends are complete idiots. Still, I want to be fair and open minded about this issue, so I propose his compromise: You may come to the door with your underwear showing and your pants ten sizes too big, and I will not object. However, in order to ensure that your clothes do not, in fact, come off during the course of your date with my daughter, I will take my electric nail gun and fasten your trousers securely in place to your waist.

Choose The Right. When you're doing whats right, then you have nothing to worry about.

Not a LEO

In memory of Sgt. Howard K. Stevenson 1965 - 2005. Ceres Police Dept.
    In memory of Robert N. Panos 1955 - 2008 Ceres Police Dept.

mavriktu is offline Patrol Sgt.
    Verified LEO
    One of the towns in my parish just enacted it as well.Yeah,like I'm gonna enforce it.

121Traffic is offline Just Us
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by lewisipso View Post

"I totally agree with Phil about indecency," said Police Chief Orian Gulotta.

"It has a much better chance under the nuisance law," Mayor Mark A. "Tony" Gulotta agreed.
    Something smacks of nepotism here....
    "If anything worthwhile comes of this tragedy, it should be the realization by every citizen that often the only thing that stands between them and losing everything they hold dear... is the man wearing a badge." -- Ronald Reagan, in the wake of the deaths of 4 CHP troopers in the Newhall Incident, 1970

The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "121Traffic" on O/R.

Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    ^^^^I was wondering if anyone would notice that. They are brothers. Both elected. We are one of only two cities that have had that happen. Kenner was the other.

mike01 is offline patrol deputy
    Verified LEO
    while it does not look good,it is a trend that will end on its own. i hope.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information