Welcome to the APBWeb.
    ManImBored is offline Ninja In Training
    Verified LEO

Indicted Bexar County sheriff resigns

Sept. 2, 2007, 11:47AM
    Indicted Bexar County sheriff resigns
    He's charged with misdemeanors after trip to Costa Rica with company that won jail contract

San Antonio Express-News and Associated Press

SAN ANTONIO The Bexar County sheriff has resigned, weeks after being indicted on misdemeanor charges related to a Costa Rican trip he took with a company that was awarded a lucrative contract at the jail.
    Ralph Lopez was Bexar County's sheriff for 16 years and was running for re-election. His resignation, effective immediately, came in a letter delivered Friday to county commissioners by Bexar County District Attorney Susan Reed.
    The Commissioners Court will appoint a new sheriff by Sept. 19, officials said. State law authorizes deputies to carry out the sheriff's duties until a successor takes office.
    In his resignation letter, Lopez did not give a reason for stepping down.
    "He did say he's going to take some time with his family and wanted some privacy," Bexar County Judge Nelson Wolff said.
    Lopez was indicted on charges of gift to a public servant, accepting an honorarium and failure to report what he received. The misdemeanors are punishable by fines and jail time of more than two years.
    The Costa Rica trip was taken in August 2005, the same year that Louisiana-based Premier Management Enterprises received contracts for the jail commissary and another annex generating $2 million in gross annual sales. The contracts were controlled by a benevolence fund created by Lopez, Reed said.

Lopez's attorney has said the sheriff did take the trip, but for legitimate business reasons.

If it was so legitimate, why did he resign? I have never understood that. He is basically saying he is guilty by resigning but then trying to say he is innocent.
    "Sometimes doing the right thing, is not doing the right thing."

adroitcuffs is offline Visualize whirled peas!!
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by ManImBored View Post
    Lopez's attorney has said the sheriff did take the trip, but for legitimate business reasons.

If it was so legitimate, why did he resign? I have never understood that. He is basically saying he is guilty by resigning but then trying to say he is innocent.
    I have to agree with you there. If Lopez can clearly articulate the "legitimate business reasons", then why would he need to retire so suddenly? And if he couldn't clearly articulate said reasons, then he should've thought about the implications before taking the trip! What would he expect his subordinates to do?
    The true measure of your character is what you choose to do when you think no one is looking.

http://officerbob.memory-of.com/

ex401mp is offline Was betrachten Sie?
    Verified LEO
    What kind of business would a sheriff need to conduct in Costa Rica that could justify that anyway? Lawyers, they are worse than chesters with all the crap they spew.
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American G.I.
    One died for your soul, the other for your freedom. ~ Anon

si hic carrus commovet non quaerete

RIP Scott L. Roth- Pfc 1st Platoon,401st MP Co, KIA 12/20/89- Operation Just Cause- Not forgotten.
    ALWAYS FIRST!!!

Tuff is offline Redneckwannabepopo
    I guess he was just extending his jurisdiction!!LOL!!!
    http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm...ndid=197722498

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

countybear is offline BDRT - Baby Daddy Removal Team
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Hmm... A Louisiana-based company.

I categorically deny any implication that it is a Swamp Mafia entity.

"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money."
    - Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Tell me not, Sweet, I am unkind,
    That from the nunnery
    Of thy chaste breast and quiet mind
    To war and arms I fly.
    - Lovelace

The opinions expressed by this poster are wholly his own, and should never be construed to even remotely be in representation of his employer, its agencies or assigns. In fact, they probably fail to be in alignment with the opinions of any rational human being.

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by ManImBored View Post
    Louisiana-based Premier Management Enterprises received contracts for the jail commissary and another annex generating $2 million in gross annual sales. The contracts were controlled by a benevolence fund created by Lopez, Reed said.
    Don't know about this particular company but this is no surprise. Not for Louisiana anyway.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

Thread Information