Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Terminator is offline BANNED

Yonkers Police face brutality complaint while already being probed by the Justice Department for brutality complaints

Yonkers Police are once again facing brutality allegations, with the latest incident being caught on tape, and witnessed by numerous people.

This incident happened Friday night and comes just days after the Justice Department announced it was investigating a series of brutality complaints against Yonkers Police Officers.

The federal probe is looking to see if there are "systemic violations of laws in the use of force" by Yonkers Police.

Amateur video shows the latest altercation, which allegedly unfolded about 5 p.m. Friday night. Witnesses say 27-year-old Eric Brown and his wife Monique were stopped by police while they were walking their pit bull.

Witnesses say police started to get violent with Brown after he said the pit bull belonged to a friend. The video shows multiple officers lifting Brown off the ground and carrying him into a police car after restraining him on the ground.

Brown's 8-year-old daughter and his mother-in-law watched the entire incident unfold.

"My mom was saying, 'Stop, stop, get off him, he didn't do nothing,' so they just took my mom and grabbed her," his daughter said.

Added his mother-in-law: "He started grabbing Eric. He started grabbing him, throwing him on the floor for no reason. He didn't do nothing wrong."

Witnesses also say they heard police officers using racial slurs.

CBS 2 HD reached out to the Yonkers police department, but a person there said their spokesperson won't be available to comment until Tuesday.

Yonkers Mayor Phil Amicone says his city will cooperate fully with the federal probe into police brutality. "When it's all said and done the Justice Department will in fact agree with us that our Police Department does an excellent job under sometimes very tough conditions," he said.

Yonkers is a city of about 200,000 just north of the Bronx. It is 17 percent black, according to the 2000 Census.

Video

http://wcbstv.com/topstories/local_story_244231815.html

Tuff is offline Redneckwannabepopo
    Somebody is going to get PROBED!!!!

In the video I see the suspect Resisting arrest....
    http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm...ndid=197722498

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

Norm357 is offline Corporal
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    What was he charged with?

What was the reason for the contact?

Is it against the law to walk your dog in Yonkers?

Not enough info in the video or the article to make an informed opinion.

Another question, why did they keep harping on the fact that the dog was a pit bull? Why is that important?
    dlefdal said:
    Ummmm, what if I don't like thumbs in my butt?

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    It has been my experience that pit bull ownership is a characteristic of a criminal. Just like other indicators it is not acted upon when observed alone. For example, a guy with a mullet, driving an old beat up camaro, referring to his spouse as his ol lady, referring to me as the law, or having a two name first name are all characteristics of a criminal. Just one of these gets my attention. If you show me all these at the sametime and I'll show you someone with warrants or someone that is up to no damn good right then and there. In police work we call this profiling.

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

SaraJ is offline Banned
    The guy was resisting arrest, obviously. It would be interesting to know what he was arrested for, though.

Supporting Member Lvl 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Five-0 View Post
    It has been my experience that pit bull ownership is a characteristic of a criminal. Just like other indicators it is not acted upon when observed alone. For example, a guy with a mullet, driving an old beat up camaro, referring to his spouse as his ol lady, referring to me as the law, or having a two name first name are all characteristics of a criminal. Just one of these gets my attention. If you show me all these at the sametime and I'll show you someone with warrants or someone that is up to no damn good right then and there. In police work we call this profiling.

I have had pit bulls for 30 years. Long before they became a thugs fashion accessory.

So let me get this straight, you consider me a criminal?
    dlefdal said:

Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Norm357 View Post
    I have had pit bulls for 30 years. Long before they became a thugs fashion accessory.

So let me get this straight, you consider me a criminal?
    Maybe you didn't read the part of my post concerning one indicator alone not being acted upon. Would you have my attention....yes. Believe it or not you are judged by the company you keep. Just curious......do you have any warrants?

"When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

Supporting Member Lvl 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Five-0 View Post
    Maybe you didn't read the part of my post concerning one indicator alone not being acted upon. Would you have my attention....yes. Believe it or not you are judged by the company you keep. Just curious......do you have any warrants?

So you assume that pit bull owners are criminals. What about gun owners, or black people, or people that drive red trucks?

This is Boo Boo. She is a pit bull rottie mix. She must be extra special evil and I guess that makes me a super crook.

dlefdal said:

countybear is offline BDRT - Baby Daddy Removal Team
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Being restrained and carried to a police car isn't brutality...

Being knocked unconscious and dragged to the car on your face is.

These folks need brutality lessons.

"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money."
    - Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Tell me not, Sweet, I am unkind,
    That from the nunnery
    Of thy chaste breast and quiet mind
    To war and arms I fly.
    - Lovelace

The opinions expressed by this poster are wholly his own, and should never be construed to even remotely be in representation of his employer, its agencies or assigns. In fact, they probably fail to be in alignment with the opinions of any rational human being.

Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Norm357 View Post
    So you assume that pit bull owners are criminals. What about gun owners, or black people, or people that drive red trucks?

This is Boo Boo. She is a pit bull rottie mix. She must be extra special evil and I guess that makes me a super crook.

Step back from the computer and breathe deeply. You have identified yourself as someone that:
    a.) has no idea concerning criminal behavior and the behavior of criminals
    b.) can't take a joke
    c.)argues on the internet as opposed to debating a point in a emotionless and rational manner

Have a nice day

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    No doubt not enough info in the video. What is the reason for contact? Is there a pitbull ordinance? What happened after the initial contact? Resisting is resisting. However, racial slurs, if used, are entirely wrong no matter what.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

Jackalope is offline Yell O
    Some cities have banned possession of certain breeds of dogs, and these ordinances usually include pit bulls as prohibited breeds. If such an ordinance is on the books in Yonkers, then that would be a likely reason for the contact. The lying about whose dog it is probably also has something to do with the fact that he ended up in cuffs.
    "I'm not a coward,
    I've just never been tested
    I'd like to think that if I was,
    I would pass"
    ~Mighty Mighty Bosstones~

Star Man is offline Guns only have two enemies; rust and politicians
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by countybear View Post
    Being restrained and carried to a police car isn't brutality...

Being knocked unconscious and dragged to the car on your face is.

These folks need brutality lessons.

+1, In that very short clip he was resisting and they picked up his legs to stop him from resisting their attempts to secure him. They simply removed his feet from the equation and carried him off. They were actually carrying him in a reasonable manner and were not carrying him face down by hanging arms behind his back. I also see that there are numerous officers in the video which tells me that the area needs heavy police presence (even before this arrest occurred) to prevent violence against the police themselves. I see alot of the officers spinning around to watch their six to avoid an ambush attack. They appear to have wanted to get the suspect out of there quickly to stop an escalation of the scene..... That clip is short, but that's my take on the few seconds they showed.

Thread Information