Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Beans is offline Street Cop
    Verified LEO

Being stupid gets musician killed

Sept. 3, 2007, 10:04PM
    Musician Carter Albrecht shot dead by girlfriend's neighbor

By JEFF CARLTON Associated Press Writer

DALLAS Dallas musician Jeffrey Carter Albrecht, who was a member of the band Edie Brickell & New Bohemians, was shot to death early Monday morning after trying to kick in the door of his girlfriend's neighbor, police said.
    The neighbor, who has not been identified, was asleep in bed when he awakened around 4 a.m. to his wife screaming that someone was breaking into the house, according to a police report. The neighbor yelled through the door for Albrecht to leave and then fired his handgun through the door.
    Albrecht was struck in the head and died at the scene, police said.
    The neighbor believed a burglar was trying to break in, Dallas police spokesman Sgt. Gil Cerda said. The case is under investigation and no arrests have been made.
    Danny Balis, Albrecht's roommate and fellow member of the Dallas rock band Sorta, said the shooter lived next door to Albrecht's girlfriend.
    "He was at his girlfriend's house last night," Balis said Monday. "He left the house and went next door and for whatever reason, which we don't know he knocked on the neighbor's door. And from what I understand, he was persistent. I don't know if there was a verbal exchange, but the person panicked and fired a shot through the door."
    Published and broadcast reports quoted police saying that Albrecht beat up his girlfriend and then tried to kick down the neighbor's door in a drunken rage. The couple had no history of domestic violence, but the girlfriend had bruises on her face, police said. She did not suffer serious injury.
    Albrecht apparently struck his girlfriend in the face several times and hit her in the back once she fell. She later managed to lock him out of the house, according to the reports.
    His death stunned friends and those who knew him in the North Texas music community. The idea of him banging on a door in the middle of the night seems out of character for a man known to be friendly and quiet, friends said.
    "He is not a violent person," said Carrie Garcia, Sorta's manager. "He is cool as a cucumber, shy, always wanted to make a joke in a situation that may be a little tense."
    Albrecht, who went by his middle name, had been a keyboard player for the New Bohemians since 1999, according to the band's Web site. He also played keyboard and guitar and sang for Sorta, named in 2006 as the best local music act by the Dallas Observer.
    Albrecht played several times with Brickell's husband, Paul Simon, Garcia said. He also played with Texas musician Charlie Sexton, a renowned guitarist.
    Albrecht was working on a solo album that Balis called "the best thing he has ever done."
    "He was the best musician I've ever played with no question," Balis said. "He could play anything. It's a shame not enough people outside of Dallas heard him."
    ___
    The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Beans" on LEF.

Verified LEO
    I am having problems today, I know musician is spelled wrong in title, I am a dumbass.
    The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Beans" on LEF.

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Beans View Post
    I am having problems today, I know musician is spelled wrong in title, I am a dumbass.
    Don't occasions like these make you miss your mod powers?

Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenna View Post
    Don't occasions like these make you miss your mod powers?
    Sometimes......would be an easy fix.

Cidp24 is offline Tempus Fugit
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Beans View Post
    Fixed
    "It wouldn't take much for me to up and run...
    to another life somewhere in the sun."
    "There's something inherently wrong with having to put on a bullet-proof vest and a gun to go to work."-(An old friend)

Any statements or opinions given in my postings or profile do not reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employer or anyone else other than me. They are my personal opinions or statements only, thereby releasing my employer , any other entity, or any other person of any liability or involvement in anything posted under the username "Cidp24" on O/R.

Ruffy is offline Officer First Class
    Verified C/O
    Well bet he won't do that again -_-

Tuff is offline Redneckwannabepopo
    Yeap, he's DUMB and DEAD.......House owner is still Dumb for shooting through the dang door too....
    http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm...ndid=197722498

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

Verified C/O
    This is true...wait till he walked inside so it could of been justified as he feared for his life..

Star Man is offline Guns only have two enemies; rust and politicians
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruffy View Post
    This is true...wait till he walked inside so it could of been justified as he feared for his life..
    Different things make different people scared.... If he was really banging on the door to the point that the shooter thought a breach of the door was imminent the shooter may be able to articulate that he was afraid for his life.... On an officer safety note just remember this when you knock on a door in the middle of the night on duty, DON'T STAND IN FRONT OF THE DOOR!!

Verified C/O
    Yup and not in front of the windows also

conalabu is offline Grasshopper
    Verified LEO
    Come bang on my door, very likely the same thing would happen.
    And Shepards we shall be,
    for thee, My Lord, for thee,
    Power hath descended forth from Thy hand,
    That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy Command.
    So we shall flow a river forth to Thee
    And teeming with souls will it ever be.
    In Nomine Patris, Et Filli, Et Spiritus Sancti.

Thread Information