Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Norm357 is offline Corporal
    Supporting Member Lvl 2

Did steroids make Benoit kill his Family.

wsbtv.com is reporting......

Brain Study: Concussions Caused Benoit's Rage

POSTED: 7:21 am EDT September 5, 2007
    UPDATED: 12:00 pm EDT September 5, 2007

NEW YORK -- A new study suggests that a series of concussions may have caused the rage that led wrestler Chris Benoit to murder his wife, his son and commit suicide.
    Study: Benoit Suffered Brain Damage

Benoit's father, Michael Benoit, turned over part of the wrestler's brain to researchers at West Virginia University and the Sports Legacy Institute.
    "I was grasping for anything. The world was very black. We didn't even know how to deal with this," said Michael Benoit.
    Dr. Julian Bailes, head of neurosurgery at WVU, said the results of tests on Chris Benoit's brain were striking.
    Showing a slide of Benoit's brain tissue Wednesday morning on ABC's Good Morning America Bailes pointed out what he called abnormalities.
    "These are dead brain cells," said Bailes.

When asked how much of that he found Bailes replied, "It was extensive, throughout Chris's brain. It was striking and maybe shocking in the extent."
    The researcher said Benoit's brain scan looked similar to those of Alzheimer's patients.
    He described Benoit's brain as "very abnormal, something you should never see in a 40-year old."
    Bailes has done similar research on the brains of former professional football players who committed suicide.
    He said he found similar brain damage in their cases.
    Bailes theroizes that repeated concussions can lead to dementia which can contribute to severe behavioral problems.
    In the case of the former NFL players he said he found a recurring "theme of failure in their personal lives and their business lives, depression and then ultimate suicide."
    Benoit's father suggests that brain damage could have lead his son to murder his family.
    "We have no understanding of how this could have happened. So it was important to us to investigate to see if something went terribly wrong," said Michael Benoit.
    He said his son suffered dozens of concussions during his wrestling career.
    Investigators have said that Benoit killed his wife, then his son and then himself in his Fayetteville, Ga. home the weekend of June 22.
    Michael Benoit said Wednesday that he agreed to the testing because murder-suicide was out of character for his son. He also disclosed that after the killings, he discovered a diary written by his son that showed his son was having problems.
    "After reading the diary, I would have thought it was written by someone who was extremely disturbed at the time," Michael Benoit said.
    He did not elaborate, but he did say a friend told him that prior to the murder-suicide, Chris Benoit had been wearing a rosary, which he said was also out of character.
    "I think it's the extreme that is in the wrestling industry today," he told reporters. "The human skull is not built to get hit by a chair or something."
    dlefdal said:
    Ummmm, what if I don't like thumbs in my butt?

conalabu is offline Grasshopper
    Verified LEO
    On the majority of that post, I think I can safely comment...

Well, duh.

On a more serious note, be good to have a little more behind the good doctors theory and if found to be conclusive, sounds to me things need to be changed a bit.
    And Shepards we shall be,
    for thee, My Lord, for thee,
    Power hath descended forth from Thy hand,
    That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy Command.
    So we shall flow a river forth to Thee
    And teeming with souls will it ever be.
    In Nomine Patris, Et Filli, Et Spiritus Sancti.

Terminator is offline BANNED
    Wrestlers suffer numerous concussions and other serious injuries throughout their careers. This is not completely shocking. The 'roid rage theory was bullcrap from the start. I would bet that the brain damage had a lot to do with it. Who'd have thought so much injury could occurr from such a "fake sport?"

conalabu is offline Grasshopper
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Terminator View Post
    Wrestlers suffer numerous concussions and other serious injuries throughout their careers. This is not completely shocking. The 'roid rage theory was bullcrap from the start. I would bet that the brain damage had a lot to do with it. Who'd have thought so much injury could occurr from such a "fake sport?"

While the wrestling may be b.s., that does not mean the guys are not athletes or that there is not risk involved. Those guys go through a heck of a lot just in training, much less a real match. Heck, ECW matches are damn near deadly.
    And Shepards we shall be,
    for thee, My Lord, for thee,
    Power hath descended forth from Thy hand,
    That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy Command.
    So we shall flow a river forth to Thee
    And teeming with souls will it ever be.
    In Nomine Patris, Et Filli, Et Spiritus Sancti.

SaraJ is offline Banned
    I'm going to ask one of my students. He's a pathologist and head of pathology for one of the largest hospitals here in town. I'll see what his opinion is!

cashton is offline Officer First Class
    I too think that the news is too fast to blame steroids in too many violent incidents. Not condoning them, but there not as bad as many folks make them out to be.

Terminator is offline BANNED
    Quote Originally Posted by conalabu View Post
    While the wrestling may be b.s., that does not mean the guys are not athletes or that there is not risk involved. Those guys go through a heck of a lot just in training, much less a real match. Heck, ECW matches are damn near deadly.

I agree, I was being sarcastic. I've been a WWE fan for almost 26 years.

Doc_Holliday is offline California Dreaming...
    My reply to those who would say wrestling was "fake" and wrestlers were not "athletes" was simple....lets climb on top of a 12 foot step ladder and then do flips off them onto each other...if its all fake, we should be GOOD to go.
    500 fights, that's the number I figured when I was a kid. 500 street fights and you could consider yourself a legitimate tough guy. You need them for experience. To develop leather skin. So I got started. Of course along the way you stop thinking about being tough and all that. It stops being the point. You get past the silliness of it all. But then, after, you realize that's what you are.

k-9max is offline K9 Officer
    Verified LEO
    If steroids cauesd benoit to kill his family, then spoons made rosie o'donnel fat.
    YEAH, IM THE BERRIES, AND CHERRIES IN YOUR REAR VIEW MIRROR.

Handle every stressful situation like a dog.
    Eat it, Play with it, or piss on it, and walk away!

As smart as man is, we haven't been able to invent a machine that can smell drugs or tell us where a person has walked, Dogs are sophisticated investigative tools!

Doc_Holliday is offline California Dreaming...
    Quote Originally Posted by k-9max View Post
    If steroids cauesd benoit to kill his family, then spoons made rosie o'donnel fat.
    I beg to differ...spoons did make rosie fat, if you consider a backhoe a spoon and frosting one of the 4 food groups...what a COW...
    500 fights, that's the number I figured when I was a kid. 500 street fights and you could consider yourself a legitimate tough guy. You need them for experience. To develop leather skin. So I got started. Of course along the way you stop thinking about being tough and all that. It stops being the point. You get past the silliness of it all. But then, after, you realize that's what you are.

SaraJ is offline Banned
    My pathologist says, "Definitely." Just depends on where the holes are as to how the person is affected.

Thread Information