Welcome to the APBWeb.
    adroitcuffs is offline Visualize whirled peas!!
    Verified LEO

Study of traffic stops is derailed

Study of traffic stops is derailed

Police lagging on racial data collection

By Michael Levenson, Globe Staff | September 9, 2007

An ambitious state program launched two years ago to explore the disproportionate number of minority drivers pulled over on state roads has failed to produce any comprehensive results because nearly half of the targeted police departments did not follow the recommended guidelines and the state never received or reviewed any data, according to documents obtained by the Globe.

The failure to comply with the requested data collection and the lack of any statewide analysis leave unanswered the central question that prompted African-American activists and lawmakers to originally demand the review: Is "driving while black" a real phenomenon in Massachusetts?

Full story: http://www.boston.com/news/local/art...s_is_derailed/

Just my $0.02 here... Such studies are only done to appease the PC crowd. The causual factor cannot be proved to be "DWB" without considering the other factors. Merely documenting the ethnicity of a driver who is contacted by law enforcement shows nothing of value. What if the officer works in an area where the residents / drivers are predominately non-white? And with the ever-growing population of mixed-ethnicities, how is that articulated in the data? Folks are mighty quick to pull the race card without looking at whether or not they actually violated the rules / law. It is not the answer to punish law enforcement because a violator "perceives" racism. The PC crowd needs to realize that to live in a color-blind society, the labels need to be removed.

If Governor Patrick believes that a disproportionate number of drivers are stopped merely because of race, are we then, too, to believe that he was elected only because he is black?
    The true measure of your character is what you choose to do when you think no one is looking.

http://officerbob.memory-of.com/

Jks9199 is online now The Reason People Hate Cops & Causer of War
    Verified LEO
    Hell... look at the first sentence: "a study...to explore the disproportionate number of minority drivers pulled over..."

Not "a study to see if a disproportionate number of minority drivers are stopped..." Not "a study of the racial composition of violators stopped..."

Nope. They were looking for bias. They were going to find bias. And if they didn't -- it was because people weren't working with them and recording the data properly.

Wasn't there a study a couple of years ago (I think in NJ) that they actually surpressed because it didn't find a racial bias that wasn't easily accounted for by looking at the racial makeup of the community? I think it was published as a book...

Terminator is offline BANNED
    We just had a Trooper fired in this state for targeting woman drunk drivers. Forty-something percent of his DWI arrests were females. I guess he should have let more female DWI's go.

Star Man is offline Guns only have two enemies; rust and politicians
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Terminator View Post
    We just had a Trooper fired in this state for targeting woman drunk drivers. Forty-something percent of his DWI arrests were females. I guess he should have let more female DWI's go.
    Better yet the males were apparently 60 percent, they should have fired him for that!

Quote Originally Posted by Star Man View Post
    Better yet the males were apparently 60 percent, they should have fired him for that!
    Why would they do that, they're not a minority group.

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Why would they do that, they're not a minority group.
    Maybe they are--there are fewer men than women in the overall population.

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Jenna View Post
    Maybe they are--there are fewer men than women in the overall population.
    You're reading my statement incorrectly. I said they're not a "minority group." Check into the EOE stuff, it says "woman and minorities are encouraged to apply."

k-9max is offline K9 Officer
    Verified LEO
    Are you serious!
    YEAH, IM THE BERRIES, AND CHERRIES IN YOUR REAR VIEW MIRROR.

Handle every stressful situation like a dog.
    Eat it, Play with it, or piss on it, and walk away!

As smart as man is, we haven't been able to invent a machine that can smell drugs or tell us where a person has walked, Dogs are sophisticated investigative tools!

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    You're reading my statement incorrectly. I said they're not a "minority group." Check into the EOE stuff, it says "woman and minorities are encouraged to apply."
    I know, I was attempting to point out the irony of men not being considered part of a minority group despite actually being in the minority in the overall population. I guess my attempt fell flat.

Quote Originally Posted by Jenna View Post
    I guess my attempt fell flat.
    Much like your (insert punchline).

Quote Originally Posted by K9Max
    Are you serious!
    In the case of former North Carolina Trooper Scott Harrison, accused of targeting young women while patrolling the graveyard shift in Wake County, the Highway Patrol did not notice a troublesome pattern in his traffic stops. It was an attorney for a woman charged by Harrison who found the pattern during a state trial. That is what led to his dismissal with the Highway Patrol.

Pudge is online now Site Admin
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    So they were able to prove that was his purpose, or was it pure coincidence that his DUI numbers reflected that and the attorney was able to manipulate it?
    "Like" us on facebook! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Offic...93147194083228

Follow members of O/R as they tweet a "Ride a long" on their shifts on the front page of the site and on twitter at the following links:

www.twitter.com/PoliceRideAlong
    www.twitter.com/lewisipso
    www.twitter.com/ORgopher
    www.twitter.com/SecondChance122
    www.twitter.com/pojmm
    www.twitter.com/ORGIB

The opinions given in my posts & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Pudge" on Officerresource.com

gopherpuckfan is offline I'm from the government and I'm here to help
    Verified LEO
    I pull a hell of a lot of whites over.....MUCH more than any other minority group combined. However, since most of my work day occurs after dark, I have no clue what race (and a lot of times sex) they are before I even get up to the car.

DWB is PC BS.
    The views expressed in the above post are the sole opinion of the author and do not reflect any official position by the author's employer and/or municipality.

Jks9199 is online now The Reason People Hate Cops & Causer of War
    Verified LEO
    Isn't the population something like 50% or 55% female? Seems to me that, if anything, he's below a representative sample. I admit; I know I didn't arrest as many women as men for DUI... but some of that was only 'cause the husband/boyfriend/whatever was the one driving, and NEITHER of them needed to be behind the wheel.

I gotta wonder if that's not the rumor mill reason, and there's something else involved. Like, say, the trooper a few years back in VA who got popped because he was letting female DUIs prepay their offenses in personal services to him, if ya know what I mean...

Thread Information