Welcome to the APBWeb.
    jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator

Fake Or Real? Mpls. Looks At Toy Gun Ordinance

Minneapolis is considering an ordinance to ban replica guns that look like too much like the real thing.

Looking at two different guns it can be hard to tell which one is fake and which one is real, and the confusing similarities are exactly why the city council is debating the ban.

In the fall of 2004, teenager Courtney Williams was shot to death by police after they allegedly mistook his pellet gun for a real gun.

"There's a lot of people going around with fake guns, real guns. They both look alike, it's hard to tell if they're real or fake," said Minneapolis teenager Markis Kelly.

Police said some people are using fake guns to commit crimes.

"I know people who've gotten jumped with a fake gun, people just come up to them and say give me your stuff," said Kelly.

According to investigators, young people are the ones using fake weapons. So in order to prevent increasing armed robberies and tragedies like Courtney Williams, Minneapolis may ban fake firearms from the street.

"We're going to say if you have a fake gun, it'll carry the same legal impact as having a real gun," said Minneapolis City Councilmember Don Samuels.

The idea is a welcome one to people in high crime neighborhoods.

"I think it's a great idea because we don't need more violence in the area. We already got to deal with real guns, so fake guns ... that's really a good idea," said Minneapolis teenager Twin Williams.

The proposed ban was just introduced on Wednesday in a city council committee. It would ban fake firearms from any public place, streets, businesses, restaurants and parks; anywhere where it could pose potential threat or danger to others.

http://wcco.com/topstories/local_story_255195928.html
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    If people are using them as a threat of real violence, in place of a 'real' gun, then yeah, treat them the same. Time and again it's happened that some young shit points a gun at cops and pays the price, and the public gets in an uproar that it was only a toy. Level the playing field. If it looks like a gun and it's being treated like a gun, it's a gun.
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

Caveman is offline Something Smells Kinda Funny
    Verified LEO
    The City of Beaverton here in Oregon did this just recently.

"A great civilization is not conquered from without until it has destroyed itself from within."

Will Durant.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

....Member

Since Jan. 2009

Thread Information