Welcome to the APBWeb.
    213th is offline Solipsist

"Joke" Autograph lands Yankees rookie in hot water

Yankees rookie Shelley Duncan may be a hit on the field, but the family of a 10-year-old Boston Red Sox fan says the slugger has struck out following a “joke” autograph, the Boston Herald reported.
    According to young Red Sox fan Griffin Whitman, Duncan wrote “Red Sox Suck! Shelley Duncan” in his notebook during an autograph session before last Friday’s game between the two fierce rivals at Boston’s Fenway Park.
    “It was cool to get his autograph,” Griffin told the Herald. “It didn’t make me feel happy when he wrote that.”
    Duncan later tolk the Herald he was surprised that the boy and his family took offense to the autograph.
    “I thought I was back in middle school or high school, where you try to make a joke or say something funny, and you end up saying something that gets you in trouble,” Duncan said. “I try to be interactive with people, be funny, have a good time and have a laugh.”
    “It’s not always Yankees fans that have us sign stuff. I try to rile ’em up and be fun. I don’t expect anybody to make a big deal about it. Nobody ever has before.”
    Yankees management had no comment when contacted by FOXNews.com on Monday.
    Griffin’s mother, Karen, blasted the young Yankees slugger for setting a bad example.
    “This is someone who wears the Yankee uniform and is on the payroll and should be setting an example for 10-year-olds,” she told the Herald.
    He who has the money, signs the cheques.
    He who signs the cheques, makes the rules.
    He who makes the rules, has the power.
    He who has the power, has the money.

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Mother should be rethinking who her son holds as a hero and try to be one to him herself, instead of having a pro ball player in that role. It's not the player's fault. He gets paid to play ball, not to raise everyone's kids.
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

Buttercup is offline Thrives in sunshine
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    That was on the news here this evening. I believe that the Yankees are saying that it was a joke and that there had been a "friendly" exchange between them when Duncan signed the autograph.

CTR man is offline Officer First Class
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Right on! Ducky. People in general are getting way too offended these days and heaven forbid if that happens. They go whining to mommy and whoever else that will listen. Then the unsuspecting person gets called on the carpet for a petty offense and closes up at the world. Some need to grow a thicker skin and quit causing drama.

Choose The Right. When you're doing whats right, then you have nothing to worry about.

Not a LEO

In memory of Sgt. Howard K. Stevenson 1965 - 2005. Ceres Police Dept.
    In memory of Robert N. Panos 1955 - 2008 Ceres Police Dept.

PeterJasonMN Guest
    THIS JUST IN::

Scientists have now discovered SAND in Red Sox fans vaginas.

213th is offline Solipsist
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterJasonMN View Post
    THIS JUST IN::

Scientists have now discovered SAND in Red Sox fans vaginas.
    I really wouldn't have cared if he did that to me...but not a 10 year old kid. Does he have sand in his vagina? Maybe. Is it the ballplayers job to raise the kid? No. But I don't think it was appropriate to write that. The kid likely uses far worse language, but I still wouldn't say that to a kid. Is the mom a money grubbing attention whore? Probably. But I still think it was inappropriate of the ballplayer. It was in jest, but I think there could have been a more appropriate way of kidding around.

Or maybe I just have sand in my vagina too...who knows

edit: I just noticed this is a milestone post for me. Maybe I should have made it more worthwhile
    Last edited by 213th; 09-17-07 at 11:50 PM. Reason: add
    He who has the money, signs the cheques.
    He who signs the cheques, makes the rules.
    He who makes the rules, has the power.
    He who has the power, has the money.

Jackalope is offline Yell O
    So the guy does a favor for the kid by taking the time to sign an autograph, and then the kid's mother is going to question the manner in which he signs it?

I wouldn't be surprised if Duncan stops signing autographs from here on out, and I wouldn't blame him if he did.
    "I'm not a coward,
    I've just never been tested
    I'd like to think that if I was,
    I would pass"
    ~Mighty Mighty Bosstones~

PeterJasonMN Guest
    When I was 10 years old I was at a Twins game and Mickey Tettleton told me to go fuck myself. I didn't cry or bitch about it.

I just waited til mom/dad left to go to the can and told him to go fuck himself right back.

Thread Information