Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Pudge is online now Site Admin
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator

Amish Bishop's mouth writes checks his ass can't cash. Film at 11

I'm beating Reca to the punch here, but I HAD to post this after getting the phone call from him and reading it. Make sure to watch the youtube video attached to the article as well. Just a warning, the vid is approx 9 minutes.
    ______________________________ ________________________

http://www.wtov9.com/news/14151336/detail.html

The Jefferson County sheriff said he and his deputies received several death threats from an Amish bishop with regard to a child custody dispute, prompting him to have the regional SWAT team on standby Tuesday.

Sheriff Fred Abdalla was ordered to take Wilma Troyer's daughters, ages 21 months and 9 months, as part of a domestic dispute with her husband who currently lives with his family in Potter County, Pa.

The sheriff said he and one other deputy went alone up to the school to serve the court order, but said Troyer, an Amish teacher, instead locked herself in the building.

Attorney Bryan Felmet, spokesman for the Amish community, called the incident a raid and said the one-room schoolhouse was the stage for a dramatic showdown between an Amish mother and sheriff's deputies.

Felmet said there were 29 children in the school on county Road 53 when several cruisers from the sheriff's department and a SWAT team entered the grounds.

"Machine guns, and bulletproof vests, and comaouflage, what is that about? There's no explanation," said Felmet. "I don't care. There's no explanation unless he thought those children were armed and dangerous."

In a rare move, the Amish -- who typically do not go on camera -- described the incident on a video posted on YouTube.com.

"(The sheriff) was knocking on the door, 'Open up, open. I want to talk to Wilma Troyer. Open that door. I have a court order,'" Troyer said. "Those children were in there crying and screaming, 'They're going to shoot us.'"'

Troyer said the children exited the schoolhouse, surrounding her, and walked down the road. She was detained and served with the court papers at a nearby farmhouse and her children removed into the custody of their father.

Samuel Mullet, an Amish bishop and Wilma Troyer's father, said the community is outraged.

"I said, 'This is crazy. You know none of us guys have guns out here. We wouldn't use them if we had them,'" Mullet said.

But Abdalla disagreed and said Mullet threatened his life on more than one occasion.

"If it wasn't for all the allegations being made, for all the statements being made and the threats being made, we would have handled it differently," the sheriff said.

Abdalla said he doesn't regret the show of force.

"I don't care if it's a school or church. I'm going to take whatever action is necessary," he said. "Based on threats to my life and on my deputies' lives, based on the threats (Mullet) has made on his own family, surely Mr. Bryan Felmet doesn't think I should approach that situation with sticks in my hand."

Felmet maintains his stance that the situation was not handled correctly.

"To comment on Fred's comment: 'What am I supposed to do, go out there with sticks?' No, Fred, you're supposed to call me," said Felmet. "And my client will come bring the children pursuant to a court order."

Abdalla said the children were never in any danger.

"When they came out of the school, I kept telling the children, 'Kids, nothing is wrong here. Nobody is going to get hurt. You don't need to cry,'" he said.

Abdalla also said there are "some very serious allegations" of molestation and attempted rape in that Amish community. The sheriff's department is also investigating the death of a 2-year-old Amish boy who lived in the community. An autopsy on that toddler was never performed though required by law, Abdalla said.

He showed a stack of letters from people he claims left the Bergholz community and are begging him to step in. Further, he said the Amish in that community are being threatened psychologically.

"(Mullet) told the children we were going to get them and put needles in them. My God, any child would be scared," Abdalla said.

A hearing is scheduled in Jefferson County magistrate court on Thursday to discuss custody of Troyer's children. Stay with NEWS9 and WTOV9.com for continuing coverage as details become available.

Now, some of my homies here will have a field day with me since I live in the county with the largest concentration of amish in the world, BUT they are a different breed of people when it comes to attitudes and arrogance in some cases. They require alot of patience when dealing with them. Some feel that they are almost above the laws, and the church will handle its problems, and law enforcement shouldn't get involved.
    "Like" us on facebook! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Offic...93147194083228

Follow members of O/R as they tweet a "Ride a long" on their shifts on the front page of the site and on twitter at the following links:

www.twitter.com/PoliceRideAlong
    www.twitter.com/lewisipso
    www.twitter.com/ORgopher
    www.twitter.com/SecondChance122
    www.twitter.com/pojmm
    www.twitter.com/ORGIB

The opinions given in my posts & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Pudge" on Officerresource.com

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    They're pretty separatist when it comes to most things, and don't really deal well with the outside world. They don't see where anyone other than their church has any kind of authority over them, so yeah, I can see where situations like this can get ticklish.

"To comment on Fred's comment: 'What am I supposed to do, go out there with sticks?' No, Fred, you're supposed to call me," said Felmet. "And my client will come bring the children pursuant to a court order."
    Kind of hard to do when most in the Amish community don't have phones.
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

depusm12 is offline Patrolman
    Verified LEO
    I don't see a link to any video.
    James
    Dept of the Army Civilian Police
    "Loyalty above all else, except Honor"
    Never forget those who fell on 9/11/01
    S&W beats 4 Aces every time

Pudge is online now Site Admin
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by depusm12 View Post
    I don't see a link to any video.
    Sorry, I added the link. That might be important huh? lol
    "Like" us on facebook! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Offic...93147194083228

Follow members of O/R as they tweet a "Ride a long" on their shifts on the front page of the site and on twitter at the following links:

www.twitter.com/PoliceRideAlong
    www.twitter.com/lewisipso
    www.twitter.com/ORgopher
    www.twitter.com/SecondChance122
    www.twitter.com/pojmm
    www.twitter.com/ORGIB

The opinions given in my posts & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Pudge" on Officerresource.com

Thread Information