Welcome to the APBWeb.
    phantasm is offline Corporal
    Verified LEO

N.Y. Drops Citizenship Proof For Driver's Licenses

N.Y. Drops Citizenship Proof For Driver's Licenses
    Spitzer: Move Should Cut Down Unlicensed Illegal Immigrants

Andrew Kirtzman
    Reporting
    (CBS) NEW YORK They were celebrating outside the governor's office Friday as Elliot Spitzer handed a landmark victory to a half-million illegal immigrants.
    The state will no longer require proof of citizenship for driver's licenses.
    "We're changing our policy with respect to getting more people out of shadows and into the system so people don't hide they're here," Spitzer said.
    He said the current restrictions on non-citizens have filled the roads with unlicensed drivers five times more likely to get into accidents.
    But the also called it a matter of justice.
    "As long as I'm governor we won't pretend they don't exist, cut them off from society," Spitzer said.
    But the action triggered a bitter response from some 9/11 family members, who said the governor would be providing identification for potential terrorists.
    And a Brooklyn state senator says he'll try to overturn the decision.
    "This governor has chosen to give the keys to the city, the keys to the state to terrorism," Golden said.
    As for the public, it's clear that people have strong feelings on both sides of the issue.
    "I donít think if you're here illegally you should have the same privileges people who are here legally do," office manager Cliff Hoffman said.
    Added legal word processor Bill Slater: "I think illegal people are getting a free ride. I don't think it's fair to other hard-working citizens who do work hard."
    Planning consultant John Madden said the move is also a pre-emptive strike against another type of potentially hazardous driver.
    "The problem is they're gonna drive anyway," Madden said. "You might as well make them legal drivers with insurance."
    The new rules will start to kick in at the end of the year, unless someone finds a way to put a halt to them.
    Under the new policy, the Department of Motor Vehicles will accept foreign passports and birth certificates from immigrants as proof of identification. They will no longer need to provide a Social Security card.
    http://wcbstv.com/topstories/local_story_264172034.html
    I dont' see how having them licensed will make them better drivers.

armsmaster270 is offline Ret. Sac. P.D. - 270th M.P. Co., Now with D.H.S.
    Verified LEO
    Now sign them up for unemployment ans social security and you will have a trifecta.

Pretty women make us BUY beer. Ugly women make us DRINK beer. --Al Bundy

http://www.armsmaster.net-a.googlepages.com

cashton is offline Officer First Class
    Quote Originally Posted by armsmaster270 View Post
    Now sign them up for unemployment ans social security and you will have a trifecta.
    I just assumed they already were.

It won't be long before something happens that makes the country split and next thing you know there will be war on our own soil.

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Quote Originally Posted by phantasm View Post
    "The problem is they're gonna drive anyway," Madden said. "You might as well make them legal drivers with insurance."
    Allowing them drivers licenses doesn't mean they'll have insurance, dumbass. If it did, I'd be able to drop the 'uninsured/underinsured' line off my insurance premium. Yeah, it's illegal to drive without insurance, but they're already here illegally, so what's saying they'll listen to a law that forces them to pay money they could send back home instead?
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

Thread Information