Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Terminator is offline BANNED

Police Officer sprayed with chemicals in his face during traffic stop fired his gun during the exchange

Sep. 26--A Santa Clara police officer who was sprayed in the face with a chemical substance by a motorist during a traffic stop early Saturday morning fired his gun during the exchange, according to the Santa Clara Police Department.
    The motorist, who was driving a truck with a stolen license plate, fled the scene. It is unknown if he was wounded.
    Officer Mark Barry, a five-year veteran of the Santa Clara Police Department, stopped a pick-up truck that had been reported as suspicious on Winchester Boulevard near Newhall Street at 2:21 a.m. While talking to the driver, who remained sitting in the truck, Barry was sprayed in the face with a caustic chemical, causing him to have difficulty breathing and seeing clearly.
    As Barry backed away from the truck, the man got out of his truck and approached the officer. Believing his life was in danger, Barry fired his gun at the suspect, who got back into his truck and fled southbound on Winchester Boulevard. It is unknown if the driver was injured, or how many shots were fired, according to police Sgt. Kurt Clarke.
    "The officer feared for his safety," Clarke said. "When someone assaults you with mace, or a caustic chemical, our belief is you are under attack and can use every means to defend yourself.
    "Especially when he leaves the vehicle. At that point, the officer is incapacitated. Officer Barry acted appropriately, believing his life was in danger."
    Barry was taken to a local hospital, where he was treated and released. Clarke said in incidents like this, the officer involved is given time off and then allowed to return to work.
    Police checked local hospitals to see if the suspect had been treated for gunshot wounds.
    The driver is described as a white man between the ages of 25 and 35 with blond to reddish hair in a buzz-cut style. The man had a beige colored bandage-type wrap on his forearm. The truck is described as an early-1980s Ford, dark in color, with a dark colored camper shell. It has a stolen license plate of 2P64466, and is described as having a loud exhaust.
    The Santa Clara Police Department is seeking help finding the driver of the truck. Anyone with information is asked to contact detective Sgt. Brian Gilbert at (408) 615-4829. Those wishing to remain anonymous can leave a message on the police department's tip line at (408) 241-9495.

Pudge is online now Site Admin
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Scary situation for the officer. Hopefully he'll recover fully and quickly.

Good shoot, no way I'd be taking the chance this guy's coming to disarm me.
    "Like" us on facebook! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Offic...93147194083228

Follow members of O/R as they tweet a "Ride a long" on their shifts on the front page of the site and on twitter at the following links:

www.twitter.com/PoliceRideAlong
    www.twitter.com/lewisipso
    www.twitter.com/ORgopher
    www.twitter.com/SecondChance122
    www.twitter.com/pojmm
    www.twitter.com/ORGIB

The opinions given in my posts & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Pudge" on Officerresource.com

PapaBear is offline SgtCHP-Retired
    Thank God the liquid did not permanently cause any damage and that the officer was not overpowered. I hope the scumbag POS is suffering from a well deserved GSW.
    Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence.
    [George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I see how the perps temperment changed at the application of rule #1.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

bufford408 is offline Just green and furry all over
    Quote Originally Posted by lewisipso View Post
    I see how the perps temperment changed at the application of rule #1.
    A little side arm whoopass.
    The opinions of my posts are the sole responsibilty of my employer due to the fact that they have totally and completely warped my mind.

Thread Information