Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Pudge is online now Site Admin
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator

1,400 Speed citations in excess of 100mph last year in the Buckeye State

http://www.newsnet5.com/news/14238208/detail.html

COLUMBUS, Ohio -- State troopers issued 1,416 speeding tickets last year to drivers going more than 100 mph, an offense that Ohio labels a minor misdemeanor and is punishable by a $150 fine.

In Ohio, local judges have leeway to impose court costs and other fines for speeding and reckless operation, another common charge in speeding cases that is also a misdemeanor in Ohio.

Madison County Municipal Court Judge David Picken said he recently ordered a motorcyclist who clocked 167 mph to the maximum punishment the charges warranted fines totaling $440, a six-month license suspension and a court-ordered driver's safety course. He felt it wasn't enough.

Advertisement

"A speed like that should warrant more," Picken said. "That's ludicrous, and it's blatant ignorance of regard for life and limb."

Judges in Virginia have recently begun jailing drivers ticketed for going faster than 90 mph. Beginning this year in Hawaii, jail time or community service is required for any speed higher than 80 mph, according to the National Motorists Association.

In Kentucky, Minnesota, and Wisconsin, high speeds can earn a driver an automatic license suspension. In Tennessee and New Mexico, speeds over 100 mph automatically assesses eight points on a license.

A standard Ohio speeding ticket adds two points to a driving record, but a driver is usually assessed four points for a violation that's 20 mph or more over the speed limit. Under state law, a driver's license is suspended when 12 points have been accumulated within a two year period.

While jail isn't an option, some judges require speeders to make a court appearance. For example, no one caught driving over 30 mph over the speed limit near Circleville -- about 25 miles south of Columbus -- can just mail in their fine.

"I want to look them in the eye and have a little remediation chat," Circleville Municipal Judge John Adkins said.

An analysis of Ohio police records by The Columbus Dispatch showed that unsafe speed contributed to 14 percent of the 70,895 crashes investigated by the Highway Patrol in 2006.

Most of those ticketed were driving high-performance automobiles such as BMWs, Audis and Acuras. However, troopers say even compact family cars like Kias can reach triple digit speeds.

Police records showed one person was ticketed for driving at least 100 mph in a 35 mph-zone in 2006, and six drivers were cited for reaching triple digits in 45-mph zones. The top speed of all recorded citations in 2006 was 135 miles an hour, clocked by a motorcyclist on a smooth, flat stretch of Route 33 near Lancaster in central Ohio.

Troopers said they'll go to great lengths to catch people speeding over 100 mph, including recording license plate numbers and then mailing tickets several days later, or sending a plane or helicopter to track speeding motorcyclists.

Trooper Mark Bisel, who patrols a rural part of Route 33 near the Honda plant in Marysville in central Ohio, ticketed 10 drivers going faster than 100 mph last year, more than any other trooper in the area.

Each person knew exactly how fast they were going, he said. At high speeds, drivers can't make up excuses.

"Automakers don't put the speedometer in the trunk," he said. "It's right there between your hands and where your eyes can look."

Fastest Speeders
    • A male, 41, going 135 mph in a 65 mph zone near Lancaster, south central Ohio on a 2005 Yamaha motorcycle.
    • A male, 24, going 134 mph in a 65 mph zone near Marysville, central Ohio in a 2003 Chrysler Infinity.
    • A male, 50, going 133 mph in a 65 mph zone near Medina, northeast Ohio in a 2005 Mercedes 4-door.
    • A male, 20, going 130 mph in a 65 mph zone near New Philadelphia, eastern Ohio on a 2003 Suzuki motorcycle.
    • A male, age unknown, going 130 mph in a 65 mph zone near Mansfield, north central Ohio, on a 2004 Honda motorcycle.
    • A male, age unknown, going 130 mph in a 65 mph zone near Milan, northwest Ohio, in a 2005 Lexus.
    "Like" us on facebook! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Offic...93147194083228

Follow members of O/R as they tweet a "Ride a long" on their shifts on the front page of the site and on twitter at the following links:

www.twitter.com/PoliceRideAlong
    www.twitter.com/lewisipso
    www.twitter.com/ORgopher
    www.twitter.com/SecondChance122
    www.twitter.com/pojmm
    www.twitter.com/ORGIB

The opinions given in my posts & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Pudge" on Officerresource.com

PeterJasonMN Guest
    $150?????

FUCK. 1-10 over in MN is what, 100sum right now.

kjlaw is offline Swamp Mafia Proud!!!
    Verified LEO
    I agree When there is no real penatly for speeding why would people be concerned.
    Lead from the front and always remember those who came first.

Capt. Ocativo "OX" Gonzalez
    EOW 6/16/06

Always remember that a casket is hotter than your vest.

Quote Originally Posted by conalabu View Post
    Soon the whole world will be in the hands of the Swamp Mafia.

PapaBear is offline SgtCHP-Retired
    I think CA writes that many in a week for over 100 MPH. The average speed for the freeways near me is about 85 MPH. Officers can't keep up with the enforcement issues.
    Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence.
    [George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

Caveman is offline Something Smells Kinda Funny
    Verified LEO
    In Oregon exceeding 100mph is an $1103.00 fine and 30 day license suspension.

"A great civilization is not conquered from without until it has destroyed itself from within."

Will Durant.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

....Member

Since Jan. 2009

armsmaster270 is offline Ret. Sac. P.D. - 270th M.P. Co., Now with D.H.S.
    Verified LEO
    When I was on the street anything over 100 or in excess of 30 over I automatically Booked them in the county jail as reckless. Never lost one in court.

Pretty women make us BUY beer. Ugly women make us DRINK beer. --Al Bundy

http://www.armsmaster.net-a.googlepages.com

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I right anything 25 or over as reckless driving. Counts like a DUI on their DL. Over 100 I could charge them with reckless endangerment (arrestable offense).

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

armsmaster270 is offline Ret. Sac. P.D. - 270th M.P. Co., Now with D.H.S.
    Verified LEO
    Our reckless is comparable to DUI also-----------Bob

Pretty women make us BUY beer. Ugly women make us DRINK beer. --Al Bundy

http://www.armsmaster.net-a.googlepages.com

jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    A citation for 100 mph+ in Minnesota is over $300.00....not sure how much over. And a 6 month license suspension.
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

Thread Information