Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator

U.S. Troops given a cold Welcome Home in CA

Oakland Airport Outrage

Monday, October 01, 2007
    By John Gibson
    The trouble begins… now! Does John's My Word make your blood boil? Click here to listen live to The John Gibson Show on FOX News Radio (weekdays, 6-9 p.m. ET). It's your chance to call in and argue with John!
    John Edwards always talks about "two Americas," but I don't think he's talking about these two Americas.
    On a flight from Phoenix to San Antonio, a flight attendant came back to coach and quietly informed a young soldier returning from Iraq that a woman in first class wanted to switch seats with him. He went to the front — to the big seats and the hot lunch — and the first class lady came back to his bag-of-peanuts coach seat.
    Passengers around her applauded and a few were moved to tears. Acknowledging the applause the first class lady said simply: "I did it because he deserves it."
    Cut to the San Francisco Bay Area where soldiers and Marines returning to their home base in Hawaii stopped for a layover, but found they were not welcome in the passenger terminal.
    This comes from noted neocon Michael Ledeen in the National Review, who reports receiving an e-mail from a Marine chaplain returning with troops from Iraq. The chaplain said when troops got to Oakland International Airport in Oakland, California — not far from San Francisco — the welcome mat was not out:
    Related

"On September 27, 204 Marines and soldiers who were returning from Iraq were not allowed into the passenger terminal at Oakland International Airport. Instead they had to deplane about 400 yards away from the terminal where the extra baggage trailers were located."
    This was not a security measure. After going through super-tight security, checking for contraband, ammunition and explosives in Kuwait, the soldiers and Marines had been allowed in the terminal building in Germany and at JFK in New York. But on the far-left coast they were quarantined from civilians.
    This smacks of the bad old days in the Bay Area when returning Vietnam vets were spat upon. Some high-ranking military person should make sure it never happens again. Our Iraq vets should be welcome anywhere and everywhere.
    That's My Word.
    Watch John Gibson weekdays at 5 p.m. ET on "The Big Story" and send your comments to: myword@foxnews.com
    Read Your Word

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator

"When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

1*girl Guest

More power to the lady that switched seats with that soldier!

PapaBear is offline SgtCHP-Retired
    Typical Bay Area mentality on the "Left Coast" That was a common activity during the Viet Nam era around Oakland, S.F. and other regional airports.
    Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence.
    [George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

Willowdared is offline Bendy not Breaky
    If you read the followup article, you will see there was an earlier troop flight that experienced no restrictions.

As evidence of that, Ale-Flint noted that Hilltop had made such arrangements for an earlier North American flight that same day, and the troops were permitted inside the airport.

Authorities familiar with those events confirmed that the other flight's passengers were screened and allowed into the airport's secure boarding area. They also said that members of TSA advised airport officials on procedures for screening the second flight, if needed.
    It looks like it was a screw-up, not a "policy."
    Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

Do not puff, shade, skew, tailor, firm up, stretch, massage,
    or otherwise distort statements of fact.
    FBI Special Agent Coleen Rowley

Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by PDawg View Post
    If you read the followup article, you will see there was an earlier troop flight that experienced no restrictions.

It looks like it was a screw-up, not a "policy."
    I know you are from Southern Cali PDawg, but I can show you examples of the utter contempt for our military in Bay Area.

Permission to dock the Battleship Iowa in San Francisco as a floating museum to our Navy and the role of the Iowa in World War II ... DENIED.
    Permission for the Navy's Blue Angels to participate in an air show over San Francisco Bay ... OPPOSED
    Permission for the U.S. Marine Corps Silent Drill Platoon to film a recruitment commercial on California Street in San Francisco ... DENIED.

I have no doubt there are stupid people in the world, and they have committed innumerable thoughtless acts.

Some of them manage to get elected or appointed to office, and make stupid decisions.

They don't always reflect the general population's opinion.

By the way, the majority of San Francisco supported the Blue Angels visit, it was a small but vocal minority that complained.

California is a lot more conservative then most people think. There's a lot more to this state then what comes out of LA and San Francisco - they just get all the press.

Unfortunately, California is a place people move to, people that couldn't get by in their birth state.

They came for the drugs, in the summer of love. They came for the higher welfare benefits in the 70's, before reforms. They come to make it as tv/movie stars. And some surrounding states give their criminals a bus ticket, instead of booking them into their own jails.

Some of them come here to go to college. And apparently, their parents told them there are no laws here to follow. They trash our beaches, and stop to take a dump on people's lawns as they stagger back to their dorms.

I won't even touch on the illegal population.

The western spirit still lives out here. It's the "can do" spirit that rebuilt San Francisco in a year after the 1906 'quake. It's just been diluted a little.

San Diego has the USS Midway museum, and the Miramar Air-show is an eagerly anticipated annual event. (The Blue Angels dropped us off their tour though - so they no longer appear.)

Even before the war, ships returning from deployments always received a hero's welcome here.

We may have more then our fair share of idiots, but we still consider them idiots.

Quote Originally Posted by Five-0 View Post
    I know you are from Southern Cali PDawg, but I can show you examples of the utter contempt for our military in Bay Area.

Permission to dock the Battleship Iowa in San Francisco as a floating museum to our Navy and the role of the Iowa in World War II ... DENIED.
    Permission for the Navy's Blue Angels to participate in an air show over San Francisco Bay ... OPPOSED
    Permission for the U.S. Marine Corps Silent Drill Platoon to film a recruitment commercial on California Street in San Francisco ... DENIED.

gopherpuckfan is offline I'm from the government and I'm here to help
    Verified LEO
    The Oakland incident pisses me off to no end. This is what we do for our returning troops that are in a similar situation.

http://www.mnafsc.org/news.htm

I worked this detail, but am not in the group photo...I was at the gas station buying cartons of cigarettes for the Marines.
    The views expressed in the above post are the sole opinion of the author and do not reflect any official position by the author's employer and/or municipality.

armsmaster270 is offline Ret. Sac. P.D. - 270th M.P. Co., Now with D.H.S.
    Verified LEO
    Shit like that makes me ashamed to be a californian. Oakland should be nominated for "Most un-american city in the Nation. May the airport slide into the bay!

Good for you Gopher and thank you for the service.
    Last edited by armsmaster270; 10-04-07 at 03:22 PM. Reason: Add line

Pretty women make us BUY beer. Ugly women make us DRINK beer. --Al Bundy

http://www.armsmaster.net-a.googlepages.com

PapaBear is offline SgtCHP-Retired
    I have no doubt there are stupid people in the world, and they have committed innumerable thoughtless acts.

Some of them manage to get elected or appointed to office, and make stupid decisions.

They don't always reflect the general population's opinion.

By the way, the majority of San Francisco supported the Blue Angels visit, it was a small but vocal minority that complained.

California is a lot more conservative then most people think. There's a lot more to this state then what comes out of LA and San Francisco - they just get all the press.

Unfortunately, California is a place people move to, people that couldn't get by in their birth state.

They came for the drugs, in the summer of love. They came for the higher welfare benefits in the 70's, before reforms. They come to make it as tv/movie stars. And some surrounding states give their criminals a bus ticket, instead of booking them into their own jails.

Some of them come here to go to college. And apparently, their parents told them there are no laws here to follow. They trash our beaches, and stop to take a dump on people's lawns as they stagger back to their dorms.

I won't even touch on the illegal population.

The western spirit still lives out here. It's the "can do" spirit that rebuilt San Francisco in a year after the 1906 'quake. It's just been diluted a little.

San Diego has the USS Midway museum, and the Miramar Air-show is an eagerly anticipated annual event. (The Blue Angels dropped us off their tour though - so they no longer appear.)

Even before the war, ships returning from deployments always received a hero's welcome here.

We may have more then our fair share of idiots, but we still consider them idiots.

This is the kind of crap the citizens in the Bay Area prefer instead of the "Silent Drill Team"

This is to promote the "Folsom Street Fair" - a gay and lesbian celebration.

Here are some of the fine Bay Area populace:

And, this is what these fine people are doing with their children:

Granted, most Californians are not this way; but, the FREAKS in the Bay Area seem to carry more weight than the law abiding, tax paying, citizens we never come in contact with during our careers.

Just look at their mayor and the majority of the city council.
    Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence.
    [George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Whether you agree with war or not the soldiers are fighting because they have to be, not necessarily because they want to. Support to those who serve because of a sense of duty, honor, and respect to our county and it's people should be mandatory. If people don't support military action take it out on the govenment at election time not the soldiers. Support the troops.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

Pedro56 is offline Englewood Ranger/Infidel Extraordinaire
    Verified LEO
    Did I ever mention that I have real estate in Nevada in hopes that my dreams of California falling off the US, will give me ocean front property?

http://www.lawenforcementforums.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic763_2.gif

"I am the guy that keeps Mister Dead in his pocket." -'Mad' Max Rockatansky

"An Englewood Ranger is no stranger to Danger.." -Unk

Good Night Chesty Where Ever You Are.

A Good Friend will bail you out of jail, but a true friend will be sitting next to you in the cell saying, "That was Awesome."

God Made Police Men so Fireman Would Have Heroes.

Common sense prevails - Blue Angels to fly in San Fran for Fleet Week

Blue Angels return to the skies above San Francisco
    The Associated Press
    Article Launched: 10/05/2007 05:52:20 AM PDT

SAN FRANCISCO—The Blue Angels will be back in the skies above San Francisco today.

After dazzling spectators Thursday, the Navy's precision flying team is scheduled for more practice sessions before performing their aerial maneuvers Saturday and Sunday as part of San Francisco Fleet Week 2007.

Officials say the best place to watch the six blue-and-gold F/A-18 Hornet jets perform over the weekend is from the Marina Green, Pier 39 or anywhere on the northern waterfront.

The return of the Blue Angels to San Francisco comes after the Board of Supervisors rejected a proposal last week that would have banned the jets from flying over the city.

Pedro56 is offline Englewood Ranger/Infidel Extraordinaire
    Verified LEO
    Common sense prevails - Blue Angels to fly in San Fran for Fleet Week

Blue Angels return to the skies above San Francisco
    The Associated Press
    Article Launched: 10/05/2007 05:52:20 AM PDT

SAN FRANCISCO—The Blue Angels will be back in the skies above San Francisco today.

After dazzling spectators Thursday, the Navy's precision flying team is scheduled for more practice sessions before performing their aerial maneuvers Saturday and Sunday as part of San Francisco Fleet Week 2007.

Officials say the best place to watch the six blue-and-gold F/A-18 Hornet jets perform over the weekend is from the Marina Green, Pier 39 or anywhere on the northern waterfront.

The return of the Blue Angels to San Francisco comes after the Board of Supervisors rejected a proposal last week that would have banned the jets from flying over the city.
    I hope one of my Fellow Devil Dog pilots hit the Afterburner full blast and blow every window out of that heathenish place.
    http://www.lawenforcementforums.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic763_2.gif

"I am the guy that keeps Mister Dead in his pocket." -'Mad' Max Rockatansky

"An Englewood Ranger is no stranger to Danger.." -Unk

Good Night Chesty Where Ever You Are.

A Good Friend will bail you out of jail, but a true friend will be sitting next to you in the cell saying, "That was Awesome."

God Made Police Men so Fireman Would Have Heroes.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro56 View Post
    I hope one of my Fellow Devil Dog pilots hit the Afterburner full blast and blow every window out of that heathenish place.
    Hehehe!

We have Fleet Week here too, and the AirShow is just outside our Comm Center....I'll see if I can't get a pick of a plane going by.

I always have to work, darn it, but next year I'm going to ask for the time off!!!

CTR man is offline Officer First Class
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Quote Originally Posted by armsmaster270 View Post
    Shit like that makes me ashamed to be a californian. Oakland should be nominated for "Most un-american city in the Nation. May the airport slide into the bay!

Good for you Gopher and thank you for the service.
    That plane should have flown into Sacramento or maybe San Jose, San Diego, etc. Population Centers (ie SF and LA areas) are noted for pulling this kind of crap cause they have more of an audience and stand better chance of making headlines.

Choose The Right. When you're doing whats right, then you have nothing to worry about.

Not a LEO

In memory of Sgt. Howard K. Stevenson 1965 - 2005. Ceres Police Dept.
    In memory of Robert N. Panos 1955 - 2008 Ceres Police Dept.

PeterJasonMN Guest
    God..I'm going to be in SanFran next week. *scared*

Thread Information