Welcome to the APBWeb.
    HudsonHawk is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator

Cop saves woman from attacker, forced to submit to sobriety test!

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/crim...cho_goes_.html

Woman fights for life after psycho goes on knife rampage

BY ALISON GENDAR, JOHN LAUINGER and CHRISTINA BOYLE
    DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITERS
    Sunday, October 7th 2007, 4:00 AM

A shirtless madman wielding stolen knives went on a bloody midtown rampage yesterday - stabbing a restaurant worker and a psychologist walking her dog before being shot by an off-duty cop, authorities said.
    Deranged Lee Coleman stood wild-eyed over the dog-walker, methodically plunging a knife into her body and face over and over - even pausing to change knives as the woman lay in a pool of blood, screaming for help.
    The crazed mental patient got into several confrontations while running up Second Ave. near 35th St. before he took aim at Susan Barron, 67, who was walking to church to have her dog blessed, sources said.
    Barron, who lives in the neighborhood, was stabbed at least 10 times in the face, neck, arms and abdomen, leaving her badly mutilated, witnesses said. She was rushed to Bellevue Hospital in critical condition.
    "He was chopping down on her," said Andrew Fink, 29, who was getting into a cab when the attack took place. "I saw him hit her at least 10 times. She was screaming and crawling along the street and people were running away.
    "It looked like she was trying to crawl into the intersection. She was crying out in pain. He looked very intent. He was systematically bringing the weapon down on her."
    Police said Coleman, 38, has a history of mental illness and has been in and out of psychiatric clinics. He was off his medication, sources said.
    He has prior arrests in Georgia in 2001 for child abandonment, assault, theft and receiving stolen property. He was also arrested in 2004 in New Jersey, but police were unclear on the charges.
    Coleman's frenzy along Second Ave. began shortly before the 10:40 a.m. stabbing. His first stop was Starbucks on 32nd St., where staff caught him rifling through drawers behind the counter, police said.
    He left empty-handed and walked a few blocks north to a deli, engaging in an argument with a person there.
    Coleman then walked to Texas Smokehouse restaurant. He asked to use the bathroom, but instead went behind the counter and stole four knives.
    Chef Amarjit Singh, 56, was slashed across the face and neck as he tried to stop Coleman, police sources said.
    Singh fled the restaurant onto Second Ave. followed by Coleman, who came face-to-face with Barron at the corner of 35th St. and, without warning, turned the knives on her.
    Barron - wearing a neck brace from a recent accident - fell to the ground, holding her cane in one hand and her black Scottish terrier, Velvet, on a leash in the other, but the attack continued.
    Coleman was seen standing over Barron, stabbing her and slashing her body "like a piece of meat," sources said. "He had so many knives that he had to put some down on the ground" while he stabbed her with others.
    Despite being badly injured, Singh returned to the scene as Barron was being attacked, rushed into the restaurant and grabbed towels and aprons to stem her bleeding.
    An off-duty NYPD Transit cop, Gregory Chin, who was on vacation and had been eating at the Gemini diner near where the attack took place, spotted the mayhem and intervened.
    "Drop it, drop it, drop the f------ knife," he screamed at Coleman, a police source said.
    Coleman ignored Chin's order and advanced aggressively, wielding the knives, forcing the cop to fire one round with his off-duty weapon, hitting Coleman in the stomach.
    Two bridge-and-tunnel officers helped wrestle Coleman to the ground, where he continued to resist arrest after he was wounded, witnesses said.
    "Clearly this guy [Chin] is a hero," said Allan Chapin, 66, who witnessed events from the diner window. "This guy saved a few lives. He [Coleman] was wrestling like crazy, and it took four policemen to subdue him and get the cuffs on."
    Coleman had been especially upset over an ongoing problem with a girlfriend, sources said.
    Family members met with Coleman Friday night and convinced him to see a psychiatrist, sources said. But Coleman bolted as relatives tried to shuffle him into a car to drive him to the doctor.
    Singh was hospitalized at Bellevue in serious but stable condition, while Coleman was in stable condition at the same hospital. Coleman was charged with attempted murder, assault and criminal possession of a weapon.
    Chin was given a sobriety test - which he passed - under a new and controversial NYPD policy introduced last Sunday.

"The dramatic moment when an off-duty cop became a hero, shooting 2nd Ave. slasher."

"The knives used in the bloody assault."

"Susan Barron, a breast cancer survivor, was stabbed repeatedly by madman while walking her dog."

"Off-duty NYPD Transit cop Gregory Chin, shot the stabbing suspect."

This off-duty HERO who stopped a would-be murderer, is forced to submit to a sobriety test to keep his job. Then the press takes a picture of him sitting in the back of a police car like a common criminal. Sometimes there is no justice...

Cidp24 is offline Tempus Fugit
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    I can see your point, but I was under the assumption that it was SOP most everywhere to submit to blood tests after an officer involved shooting. It takes some ammo away from the turd's lawyer later.
    "Officer, is it true that you were on vacation, in a restaurant, when you shot my client"
    You can see where the turd's attorney could try to turn the officer into a drunken idiot, because he might have had a beer or two with his lunch while on vacation.

By the way, kudos and a job well done to the Officer.
    "It wouldn't take much for me to up and run...
    to another life somewhere in the sun."
    "There's something inherently wrong with having to put on a bullet-proof vest and a gun to go to work."-(An old friend)

Any statements or opinions given in my postings or profile do not reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employer or anyone else other than me. They are my personal opinions or statements only, thereby releasing my employer , any other entity, or any other person of any liability or involvement in anything posted under the username "Cidp24" on O/R.

armsmaster270 is offline Ret. Sac. P.D. - 270th M.P. Co., Now with D.H.S.
    Verified LEO
    I can see the test, Taking his gun, and giving him a watchdog to make sure he doesn't get a drink before testing, but not the back of a car after he is I.D.ed

Pretty women make us BUY beer. Ugly women make us DRINK beer. --Al Bundy

http://www.armsmaster.net-a.googlepages.com

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Excellent job! Apparently another policy to have to live with.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

Dinosaur32 is offline Long In The Tooth
    This program is a knee-jerk reaction by the Mayor and the PC to the sean bell shooting incident. First. they send undercover cops and backups to investigate the complaints of law-abiding citizens about a "den of iniquity" when that investigation resulted in a shooting, rather than backing up the officers THEY assigned to the probelem the MAYOR and the PC caved-in to the race baiters. That is how this policy was born. Of course in New York there is no standard to be guided by, we have no public intox law. And yo cannot correlate DUI or BUI to carrying a firearm. It is an insane policy, but typical of the liberal NY politicians.

Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Two NYPD Detectives were SHOT, and forced to submit to sobriety tests!

** I hope the libs are reading, the cops even shot the gun out of his hand! **

http://www.newsday.com/news/local/ne...,4565669.story

Detectives tested for alcohol after shootout

BY ROCCO PARASCANDOLAOctober 4, 2007

Three Bronx detectives involved in a pre-dawn shootout with a fleeing fugitive early Wednesday -- including one grazed by a bullet between the eyes -- were tested for alcohol as part of a controversial initiative put in place after the Sean Bell killing, police said.

Detectives Daniel Rivera, William Gonzalez and Thomas Murphy tested negative, and their actions, police said, appear to be within departmental guidelines.

Police unions blasted the policy change, which took effect Sunday, as unconstitutional and vowed to seek a temporary restraining order in federal court in Manhattan as early as today.

"It's insulting and degrading," said Michael Palladino, president of the Detectives Endowment Association, the union for detectives. "These detectives are lying in the hospital with injuries and now, to add insult to their injuries, the police department is showing up to take their breath."

Police Commissioner Ray Kelly has said the NYPD's legal bureau determined the policy could be put in place without legal ramifications. The measure was seen as a way to tamp down the harsh criticism following the shooting of Bell outside a Jamaica strip club on his wedding day last November.

One of the undercover detectives who was inside the club -- but not involved in the shooting -- drank two Heinekens, and the NYPD later said officers in such assignments are allowed to have up to two drinks to allow them to blend into their surroundings.

Wednesday's 5:30 a.m. shooting took place in a narrow alley behind 2422 Webster Ave., in Fordham, with the suspect, Jermaine Taylor, 18, of the Bronx, firing six shots from his 9mm pistol, police said. One bullet grazed Rivera in the forehead, possibly after ricocheting off a wall, and another shot grazed Gonzalez in the right shin.

Both detectives were treated at St. Barnabas Hospital and released. Murphy was not injured.

Taylor was struck in the right middle finger, a shot that knocked the gun from his hand. The suspect also fractured his right pelvis, an injury suffered when he jumped out a second-story window, police said. Taylor, wanted for shooting two men outside a Bronx bodega on July 2, was hospitalized last night at Jacobi Medical Center. He was charged with two counts of attempted murder of a police officer.

The drama unfolded when the detectives, plus another detective and sergeant -- all from the Violent Felon Squad, a unit within Bronx Warrants -- moved in to arrest Taylor, of 920 E. 211th St., who had been staying with friends in a cramped apartment, police said.

The sergeant and a detective entered the building, knocked on the second-floor apartment and identified themselves, police said.

When a woman opened the door, the cops saw Taylor make a run toward the back of the apartment. Rivera ran out of the building and toward the back alley, police said.

By then, police said, Taylor had jumped about 25 feet out of a rear window. He got up, police said, and opened fire, exchanging shots with Murphy and Gonzalez, then with Rivera.

Police said Rivera, 41, a 17-year veteran, was involved in one previous shooting, in 1993. No one was injured and police determined Rivera was within department guidelines.

Gonzalez, 41, who joined the force in 1988, and Murphy, 37, who joined in 1990, have no previous shootings on their records.

Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Dinosaur32 View Post
    This program is a knee-jerk reaction by the Mayor and the PC to the sean bell shooting incident. First. they send undercover cops and backups to investigate the complaints of law-abiding citizens about a "den of iniquity" when that investigation resulted in a shooting, rather than backing up the officers THEY assigned to the probelem the MAYOR and the PC caved-in to the race baiters. That is how this policy was born. Of course in New York there is no standard to be guided by, we have no public intox law. And yo cannot correlate DUI or BUI to carrying a firearm. It is an insane policy, but typical of the liberal NY politicians.
    Correct. The policy was instituted because the Bell family and Mr. Sharpton (among others) complained to liberal politicians and those with no backbone, such as Mr. Kelly.

They complained that an undercover NYPD Vice officer had consumed two beers while inside the club that Sean Bell came out of. It should be noted that this is both within NYPD guidelines and that officer was NOT involved in the shooting. It was determined during internal investigations that alcohol was not a factor in the shooting.

Further complaints arose that Sean Bell's BAC was released in the media showing that he was intoxicated at the time of the shooting. I think this is important information that the public should know. The truth that a drunk driver rammed a police vehicle and attempted to run over officers. Not to mention that the officers reasonably believed the suspects had a gun. There is no doubt in my mind that the shooting was justified.

Prior to this policy of a mandatory chemical test - a supervisor would visually check to see if the officer was "fit for duty", ie not intoxicated.

I think any Verified LEO on the board who's dealt with a few DWI's will agree that you can tell a person is intoxicated by your interaction and SFST's alone. That is your PC to give the chemical test and/or evidence for conviction in the case of a refusal.

There is no reason to force a sober officer, particularly one who is off-duty or injured in the line of duty, to submit to a chemical test when there is no law requiring such tests to be conducted. A shooting is either justified or not justified. The mandatory chemical test policy is insulting to say the least.

MacLean is online now O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Yikes!

Pay them for shit, and test them when they do what you pay them to do.

That stinks.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    I guess I don't see why this is a problem.

My dept. requires a BLOOD test anytime your in an OIS, vehicle crash resulting in injury or death....and one other thing I can't remember.

It's just a way for the officer and the department to cover their own asses.

I've never had alcohol or drugs in my system while i"m at work, and when I get in a shooting, I want some proof to back it up.
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

MacLean is online now O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I still don't like it absent some other suspicion.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

It's not so much the testing....it's the way it was done....as I wrote just a reaction to the usual race politicos.....no negotiations with the unions....no standards set...and the NYPD still sends U/Cs into bars and allows thenm to have up to two drinks......now a 5'2" 110 lb woman is going to test higher than a 6' 170 lb man and nobody can say what the unacceptable level is. Can anyone say that .08 makes you unfit for duty? Or perhaps it is .02? What if you're off duty in a restaurant just finished a couple of beers when Mr. Mope walks in, pulls a gun and threatens your wife. So you pop him. Good shooting all around. Why should you be tested for anything?

TheeBadOne is offline Why so serious?
    Verified LEO
    Just more proof that: "This job blows"

"When I'm driving along and I see a sign that says, CAUTION: SMALL CHILDREN AHEAD,
    I slow down, and then it occurs to me, I'm not afraid of small children"!

Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    What if you're off duty in a restaurant just finished a couple of beers

I don't carry off duty when I'm drinking. Which I why I rarely drink.

Drinking and carrying is irresponsible.
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by jmur5074 View Post
    I don't carry off duty when I'm drinking. Which I why I rarely drink.

Drinking and carrying is irresponsible.
    Can you define a level that is irresponsible? The laws only have BAC limits for operating a vehicle. Justification for a shooting either exists or it does not.

Dino32 brings up a good example. Although there was NO ALOCHOL in this officer, what if this officer had been too intoxicated to operate a vehicle? HYPOTHETICALLY lets say he had a BAC of 0.08%. The woman on the street is getting stabbed and slashed. If he shoots the attacker while drunk is he any less justified? The answer is no. I agree that carrying your gun while drinking is trouble waiting to happen, but either way shooting an armed attacker in the middle of an attempted murder is justified.

I certainly agree that alcohol can lower your judgement, but there is no defined level for handling a gun. I also agree that none of the on-duty uniformed officers should have substances in their system, be it drugs or alcohol. The undercovers are basically told that they have to drink to fit in. I have no problem with tests after OIS or random testing. The fact is that an undercover drank, was not involved in a shooting, yet the administration gave in to political pressure and mandates chemical testing now. The way the policy was instituted and for what reason is what insults me.

/end rant, thanks for listening
    "never bring paws to a gunfight" - Jenna

Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by vengeance05 View Post
    Can you define a level that is irresponsible? The laws only have BAC limits for operating a vehicle.
    That's the thing, it's argueable. Thats why I don't drink AT ALL when I'm carrying.

And MN actually does have laws regarding concealed carry and impairment.

The section concering alcohol states you can be arrested for carrying a concealed weapon while impaired when your BAC is .04 or more.

So that's what....1, maybe 2 beers?

ANd I do agree, that shooting a suspect in an assault that will likely result in death or great bodily harm after you've been drinking it still perfectly justified (in my mind).

But what happens if you miss because you've been drinking. And you hit Joe Schmo who was standing on the street corner a block away picking his nose?

You're fucked. Forever. If you had not been drinking (or not carrying while drinking) you might still have a career. and money. and a house.

Jmur....at least MN has a standard to guide yo....your at restauant had a couple of beers (used that example deliberately) you can estimate that you might be at .04 so when Mr. Mope attacks other patrons you can sit back and do nothing based on your guidelines. Here in NY we have no such guidelines, so you're screwed no matter what you do. Depending upon which way the political winds are blowing.

Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Jmur....at least MN has a standard to guide yo....your at restauant had a couple of beers (used that example deliberately) you can estimate that you might be at .04 so when Mr. Mope attacks other patrons you can sit back and do nothing based on your guidelines. Here in NY we have no such guidelines, so you're screwed no matter what you do. Depending upon which way the political winds are blowing.
    Yeah, i mean I'm not trying to pick a fight. But, I know that at a .04 I can be charged with carrying while impaired....it's not a guarentee I will be....but I can be charged.

So, I never carry when drinking.

Jmur....no intention of arguing...just wanted to point out that Bloomberg and Kelly are screwing their cops.......if I'm in that restaurant with my good buddy Mr. NYPD and Mr. and Mrs. Mope come in and loose with a burst hitting a dozen innocent civies, if I take Mrs. Mope and Mr. NYPD takes out Mr. Mope....both good shoots.....he gets tested and I walk away thumbing my nose at IAB. Makes absolutely no sense.

Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Jmur....no intention of arguing...just wanted to point out that Bloomberg and Kelly are screwing their cops.......if I'm in that restaurant with my good buddy Mr. NYPD and Mr. and Mrs. Mope come in and loose with a burst hitting a dozen innocent civies, if I take Mrs. Mope and Mr. NYPD takes out Mr. Mope....both good shoots.....he gets tested and I walk away thumbing my nose at IAB. Makes absolutely no sense.
    I completely understand.

phantasm is offline Corporal
    Verified LEO
    Even a .01 reading could be deemed "unfit for duty" if the department wants to hang you.

Thread Information