Welcome to the APBWeb.
    PapaBear is offline SgtCHP-Retired

Oklahoma Officers Fired In Boy's Death

Updated: October 9th, 2007 06:59 PM PDT

Story by koco.com
    NOBLE, Okla. --

The city of Noble has fired three of its police officers after an incident in which a 5-year-old was killed.

Robert Richardson, Paul Rodgers and Michelle Lynn Key were fired for their role in an incident in which a Noble officer fired his gun at a snake more than a month ago, and the bullet ricocheted and hit Austin Haley in the head.

Cleveland County's top prosecutor decided to prosecute two of the officers. District Attorney Greg Mashburn explained that he took no pleasure in filing a pair of second-degree manslaughter charges against Richardson and Rodgers.

They could face up to four years in prison if convicted of the felony charge. However, all three officers were dismissed on Tuesday for just cause, police said, following an internal investigation.

Mashburn said that the officers failed to take reasonable care by firing shots in an open area at a non-poisonous snake. According to police reports, the officers responded to a report of a snake in a birdhouse.

Jack Tracy said he was fishing with Austin that night when he saw the first shot hit the water near where they were standing. As he pulled his grandson to his side, he said, a second shot hit the boy in the head.

According to Noble City Manager Bob Wade, two officers were investigating a call from a family about a snake. Wade said it was in a rural, wooded and isolated area near a pond with no houses.

Officers shot at the snake but then heard Austin screaming. He was taken to an area hospital where he died.

"All I can say is that this is extremely tragic," Wade said. "We are just devastated."
    Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence.
    [George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

PeterJasonMN Guest
    First off....
    Why you'd call 911 for a snake in a birdhouse is f'ing ridiculous.

Second, why you'd shoot said snake if it's doing nothing more than what snakes do, go around looking for food is beyond me (Provided the snake wasn't threatening people, which it wasn't.

On two boards now I've wanted to express my opinion more about this, but I just can't. No matter how many times I read this I just shake my head.

Twan007 is online now The People
    Verified LEO
    first let me say prayers for Austin's family - I hate it when children die - seems like such a waste...

now for a mini-rant

Quote Originally Posted by PeterJasonMN View Post
    First off....
    Why you'd call 911 for a snake in a birdhouse is f'ing ridiculous.
    me and franklin were talking last night about this exact same concept... it seems that more and more we're getting calls for "oh hell, i don't know what to do... the cops would... let me dial 911"

example - "my pilot light is out - let me dial 911 and get the police to come light it"
    instead of getting my lazy ass up and lighting it myself =/

it seems more and more people get to a point where they don't know what to do, and instead of figuring it out, would rather call someone else to figure it out for them =/

amazing
    -=Twan007

Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.

Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.

The opinions expressed by this poster are wholly his own, and should never be construed to even remotely be in alignment with his employer. Matter of fact, the poster will deny any knowledge of any post... this message will self-destruct in 5 seconds...

smokey703 is offline I'm Bi-WINNING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Verified LEO
    I just don't have the words.

I totally agree Twan. I am not trying to make an excuse for the negligence of the officers but if the lazy ass people would have taken care of the problem themselves this would have not occured. 2 months ago I was called to a residence because there was a dog in a womans yard making her dog bark. She wanted me to chase the dog, which was a puppy, around the yard and catch it. Then she tells me to shoot it just so it would leave her dog alone. I was waiting for her to ask me if I would come inside and wipe her ass for her.
    Wise men stand behind me, brave men stand beside me, but only fools stand against me.

The force that propels you to prevail when you are put to a test of survival will be a mindset that refuses to accept nothing but winning.

Too often, we lose sight of life's simple pleasures. Remember, when someone annoys you it takes 42 muscles in your face to frown, BUT, it only takes 4 muscles to reach out and bitch slap that motherf*cker upside the head.

Jks9199 is offline The Reason People Hate Cops & Causer of War
    Verified LEO
    I can't understand why they'd shoot at the birdhouse... There's no way it's going to stop the round...

As for people calling the cops for silly reasons... Yeah. You call me to light your pilot light, I'm going to open your phone book up to the gas company's listing, and tell you to call them.

OK, I'll admit it. It would depend on the person; the town I work in has lots of old folks and I admit that I'm more willing to help some of them then others... I've responded to calls like squirrels in the attic, and realized that the real problem is that the widow didn't have clue one about home maintenance, 'cause her husband did all that stuff. In cases like that, I've gone a little further -- but the simple truth is that I know enough plumbing, enough about electrical, and so on to get myself in trouble if I try to do something. If it's a real emergency situation -- I might try simple checks, but generally -- leave it to the pros. If the electricians promise not to arrest crooks, I won't electrocute myself!

armsmaster270 is offline Ret. Sac. P.D. - 270th M.P. Co., Now with D.H.S.
    Verified LEO
    If you have to fire that's what snake shot is for. But you could probably move it with a rake to where it would be no problem.

Pretty women make us BUY beer. Ugly women make us DRINK beer. --Al Bundy

http://www.armsmaster.net-a.googlepages.com

k-9max is offline K9 Officer
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by smokey703 View Post
    I just don't have the words.

I was waiting for her to ask me if I would come inside and wipe her ass for her.
    huh, im just wondering if you would of done it??
    YEAH, IM THE BERRIES, AND CHERRIES IN YOUR REAR VIEW MIRROR.

Handle every stressful situation like a dog.
    Eat it, Play with it, or piss on it, and walk away!

As smart as man is, we haven't been able to invent a machine that can smell drugs or tell us where a person has walked, Dogs are sophisticated investigative tools!

Thread Information