Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member

Al Gore and UN win Nobel Peace Prize

The former US vice-president Al Gore and the UN climate change panel will share the 2007 Nobel peace prize for raising awareness of the risks of climate change, the Nobel committee announced today.
    Chosen from a field of 181 candidates, Mr Gore and the UN's intergovernmental panel on climate change (IPCC) will split the $1.5m (750,000) prize.
    The Norwegian committee praised Mr Gore, who lost the 2000 presidential election to George Bush, for his strong commitment to the struggle against climate change.
    "He is probably the single individual who has done most to create greater worldwide understanding of the measures that need to be adopted," the committee said.
    However, Mr Gore's award-winning film on the issue, An Inconvenient Truth, was this week criticised in a British high court case for allegedly containing inaccuracies.
    Mr Gore said he was honoured at the award and would donate all his share of the money to the Alliance for Climate Protection, a group seeking to change public opinion in the US and around the world about the urgency of dealing with climate change.
    "I am deeply honoured to receive the Nobel peace prize," Mr Gore said in a statement.
    "This award is even more meaningful because I have the honour of sharing it with the IPCC - the world's pre-eminent scientific body devoted to improving our understanding of the climate crisis - a group whose members have worked tirelessly and selflessly for many years."
    On the IPCC, the Nobel committee said it had created an ever broader, informed consensus about the connection between human activities and global warming.
    "Thousands of scientists and officials from over 100 countries have collaborated to achieve greater certainty as to the scale of the warming," the panel said. "Whereas in the 1980s global warming seemed to be merely an interesting hypothesis, the 1990s produced firmer evidence in its support."
    The Nobel committee said that by awarding the prize to the IPCC and Al Gore, it wanted to bring a sharper focus on the processes and decisions needed to protect the world's future climate.
    "Action is necessary now, before climate change moves beyond man's control," the panel warned.
    The joint award to Mr Gore, who was the favourite among the contenders, is expected to galvanise his supporters, who are pushing him to run again for the White House, despite his loss eight years ago.
    Since then, Mr Gore has appeared more relaxed, shedding an uptight image that did him no favours in contrast to Mr Bush, who projected an easygoing charm.
    Should Mr Gore take the plunge, he can count on strong grassroots support, though his detractors believe that, in the glare of presidential politics, he will revert to his old, wooden self.
    The "draft Gore" movement has been gaining momentum, accumulating about 127,000 signatures this year, 10,000 of them in the last week of September alone.
    Mr Gore has consistently said he is not interested in running again for the White House, insisting he can be more effective in the fight against climate change outside mainstream politics.
    But his denials of interest have done little to dampen the enthusiasm of supporters, who feel that as president he would have the credibility required to push through tough measures to slow climate change.
    The other presidential candidates - Hillary Clinton, in particular - have so far disappointed environmental activists by shying away from promising aggressive action to deal with America's contribution to climate change.

kjlaw is online now Swamp Mafia Proud!!!
    Verified LEO
    What a load of S*** WTF does climate change have to do with peace.
    Lead from the front and always remember those who came first.

Capt. Ocativo "OX" Gonzalez
    EOW 6/16/06

Always remember that a casket is hotter than your vest.

Quote Originally Posted by conalabu View Post
    Soon the whole world will be in the hands of the Swamp Mafia.

ManImBored is offline Ninja In Training
    Verified LEO
    I guess as long as this keeps him occupied and he's not running for president, let him do whatever.
    "Sometimes doing the right thing, is not doing the right thing."

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kjlaw View Post
    What a load of S*** WTF does climate change have to do with peace.
    Maybe they saw the movie blaming climate change on Lex Luthor!

http://www.lawenforcementforums.com/...ad.php?t=20930

Pudge is online now Site Admin
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Pfffft, what? No recognition for creating the internet?
    "Like" us on facebook! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Offic...93147194083228

Follow members of O/R as they tweet a "Ride a long" on their shifts on the front page of the site and on twitter at the following links:

www.twitter.com/PoliceRideAlong
    www.twitter.com/lewisipso
    www.twitter.com/ORgopher
    www.twitter.com/SecondChance122
    www.twitter.com/pojmm
    www.twitter.com/ORGIB

The opinions given in my posts & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Pudge" on Officerresource.com

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I truly never understood that comment.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by lewisipso View Post
    I truly never understood that comment.
    http://www.snopes.com/quotes/internet.asp

http://sethf.com/gore/

Standard Dave is offline Constable
    I am confused as what climate change and pollution has to do with peace.

He has made a rather one sided film (reportly so to avoid confusing people) and moaned about things at conferences (no doubt fly between countires to do so).

213th is online now Solipsist
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Quote Originally Posted by Standard Dave View Post
    I am confused as what climate change and pollution has to do with peace.

He has made a rather one sided film (reportly so to avoid confusing people) and moaned about things at conferences (no doubt fly between countires to do so).
    Didn't a British magistrate just rule that there were 9 significant inaccuracies in his film too?

On another note...watching this become breaking news while at work, I sat and said to my self "Self, how long do you think it will be before Jenna posts this on LEF?"
    He who has the money, signs the cheques.
    He who signs the cheques, makes the rules.
    He who makes the rules, has the power.
    He who has the power, has the money.

Jackalope is offline Yell O
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenna View Post
    I can't believe Snopes lists that claim as false, and then gives the exact quote, "During my service in the United States Congress, I took the initiative in creating the internet." How else could that possibly be interpreted?
    "I'm not a coward,
    I've just never been tested
    I'd like to think that if I was,
    I would pass"
    ~Mighty Mighty Bosstones~

countybear is offline BDRT - Baby Daddy Removal Team
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    What does laundering substantial ($250,000 known) communist Chinese donations to the 1996 Democratic campaign as a means to effect a cloaked deal for nuclear warhead delivery technology have to do with peace, Mr. Gore? Mr. Clinton? Mrs. Clinton? Anyone?

http://archives.cnn.com/2000/ALLPOLI...ail/index.html

http://www.cnn.com/ALLPOLITICS/1997/...hearings.main/

http://www.christusrex.org/www2/chin.../acqpage4.html

... and two years later, The People's Republic of China appreciatively responds by targetting major U.S. cities with its (now capable, U.S. designed) missle guidance systems...

http://www.fas.org/news/china/1998/booklet.htm

Nuclear warheads tend to cause immediate, focused, intense global warming when detonated.

Bravo to the Nobel Committee. Alfred just flipped in his grave.

"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money."
    - Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Tell me not, Sweet, I am unkind,
    That from the nunnery
    Of thy chaste breast and quiet mind
    To war and arms I fly.
    - Lovelace

The opinions expressed by this poster are wholly his own, and should never be construed to even remotely be in representation of his employer, its agencies or assigns. In fact, they probably fail to be in alignment with the opinions of any rational human being.

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    When you consider that this prize was once awarded to that murderous Muslim Yassir Arafat, it's hard to be impressed.
    This is how the nobel prize twits rationalized giving Owl Gore the prize...
    http://nobelprize.org/nobel_prizes/p...007/press.html

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

Virginian is offline Major
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    I discount almost anything connected with Europe (aside from the UK) because they're dead set on weakening US national power. It colors their judgement, attitudes and elections. Kinda like watching a less athletic sibling picking at his football player brother because he's unhappy with his own weaknesses.

wanna_b_trooper is offline "Life is hard. It's harder if you're stupid"
    A person that suffers from malignant narcissism (I always wanted to use that in a sentence) and a defunct organization win a Nobel?
    The Nobel Peace prize has no value now.

BEK
    BEK is offline Lieutenant
    Verified LEO
    Hey, libertarians.... Nows the time to step in and talk about Nazi Germany, Did you know that Adolf Hitler was once Nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize and so was Joseph Stalin and Benito Mussolini. Al Gore is in good company.

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by countybear View Post
    Nuclear warheads tend to cause immediate, focused, intense global warming when detonated.
    Yup, they would.

Good post!
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by BEK View Post
    Hey, libertarians.... Nows the time to step in and talk about Nazi Germany, Did you know that Adolf Hitler was once Nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize and so was Joseph Stalin and Benito Mussolini. Al Gore is in good company.
    GORE WINS THE PEACE PRIZE No surprise there. With few exceptions, the Nobel Peace Prize has always been awarded to someone with both feet firmly planted in the world of liberalism. I know a lot of leftists and anti-capitalists around this country and the world will be celebrating, but when you consider that this prize was once awarded to that murderous Muslim Yassir Arafat, it's hard to be impressed.
    For you warmers out there ... Oops! Sorry, I forgot! You not longer talk about global "warming!" Now it's all about "climate change!" Get real, people .. the climate is always changing. Anyway .. back to my thought here, for you warmers out there, don't you find it just a bit curious that Gore absolutely refuses to debate the issue of global warming? He simply says that the issue is settled and there's no sense debating it. Isn't that the coward's way out?
    Now we sit back and see of Little Lord Fauntleroy will take a second shot at the presidency, and if this time he can manage to carry his own home state.

The Libertarians with half a brain left are still in the right.

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

TheeBadOne is offline Why so serious?
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Five-0 View Post
    When you consider that this prize was once awarded to that murderous Muslim Yassir Arafat, it's hard to be impressed.
    This is how the nobel prize twits rationalized giving Owl Gore the prize...
    http://nobelprize.org/nobel_prizes/p...007/press.html

"When I'm driving along and I see a sign that says, CAUTION: SMALL CHILDREN AHEAD,
    I slow down, and then it occurs to me, I'm not afraid of small children"!

Thread Information