Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Pudge is online now Site Admin
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator

F-Yeah! Swearing At Work Is OK, Study Finds

http://www.newsnet5.com/smallbusines...71/detail.html

Allowing staff to swear at work can benefit them and their employers, according to researchers at a British university.
    Yehuda Baruch, professor of management at the the University of East Anglia's Norwich Business School, and graduate Stuart Jenkins looked at the use of expletives and swearing in the workplace from a management point of view.
    They identified the relevance and even importance of using non-conventional and sometimes uncivil language at work and how it may have a positive impact.
    The study found regular use of profanity to express and reinforce solidarity among staff can enable them to express their feelings and develop social relationships.
    Baruch said their aim was to challenge leadership styles and suggest ideas for best practice.
    "Employees use swearing on a continuous basis, but not necessarily in a negative, abusive manner," Baruch said. "Swearing was as a social phenomenon to reflect solidarity and enhance group cohesiveness, or as a psychological phenomenon to release stress."
    "Most of the cases were reported by employees at the lower levels of the organizational hierarchies and it was clear that executives use swearing language less frequently," he said. "The primary issue for management is whether or not to apply a tolerant leadership culture to the workplace and deliberately allow swearing."
    The study found younger managers and professionals were more tolerant in what they accepted as ethical behavior, suggesting that age may be a moderator for the spreading of swearing language to the workplace. Women also swore more than might traditionally be expected, especially among themselves.
    The study also found that swearing did not take place in front of or within close proximity to customers, but once they had gone or in staff areas.
    The research suggests that while a ban on swear words and reprimanding staff might represent strong leadership, it would remove the source of solidarity and in doing so could lead to decreased morale and work motivation.
    "We hope that this study will serve not only to acknowledge the part that swearing plays in our work and our lives, but also to indicate that leaders sometimes need to ‘think differently’, and be open to intriguing ideas." Baruch said.
    The results of the study, "Swearing At Work And Permissive Leadership Culture: When Anti-Social Becomes Social And Incivility Is Acceptable," are published in the current issue of the Leadership and Organization Development Journal.
    "Like" us on facebook! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Offic...93147194083228

Follow members of O/R as they tweet a "Ride a long" on their shifts on the front page of the site and on twitter at the following links:

www.twitter.com/PoliceRideAlong
    www.twitter.com/lewisipso
    www.twitter.com/ORgopher
    www.twitter.com/SecondChance122
    www.twitter.com/pojmm
    www.twitter.com/ORGIB

The opinions given in my posts & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Pudge" on Officerresource.com

mack is offline Officer Resource Offical Auctioneer
    Premium Lifetime Member
    You posted this before I had a chance to. I saw it earlier and was going to go back and post it. :P

My dad, I miss him every day.

Originally Posted by Wolven
    Life is too short to wear unsexy underwear.

I am a female!!!!! LMAO

Be who you are and say what you feel.....
    Because those that matter...don't mind...
    And those that mind...don't matter

Illiy is offline Corporal
    Someone needs to tell South Pasadena (CA) they are proposing a ban on swearing in public....

kay88 is offline Sergeant
    Try telling that to my supervisor. Swearing is a daily part of my job, however if you do it around him he'll tell you "We don't use that kind of language here." But he also does not actually run orders on a press... He should read about this study, maybe he won't chastise us anymore.. haha
    Life is a succession of lessons which must be lived to be understood.
    ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Elle is offline Banned
    I'm not allowed to swear or yell at work,(health facility) it's considered resident abuse if one of them hears me, because it could make them feel unsafe.

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    It's a huge no no around the Chief. The worst you will get is an eyebrow raised.

It's been done on the street, but usually in the "right" situation.

Follow members of O/R as they tweet a "Ride a long" on their shifts on the front page of the site and on twitter at the following links:

www.twitter.com/ORgopher
    www.twitter.com/pojmm
    www.twitter.com/ORGIB

The opinions given in my posts & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Pudge" on Officerresource.com

Buttercup is offline Thrives in sunshine
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    My boss will occasionally drop the f bomb when we're talking (he doesn't use it toward me), it doesn't bother me but he always apologizes though.

Motorwaycop is offline Retired Plod
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    I swear like the proverbial "trooper" at work, (amongst colleagues I know)
    However at home I never do, don't know why, but the words just don't come into my head.
    the sole advantage of power is that you can do more good.
    ( Baltasar Gracian )

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    No #@!king wonder I'm so #@!king stress free at my job!!
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

armsmaster270 is offline Ret. Sac. P.D. - 270th M.P. Co., Now with D.H.S.
    Verified LEO
    Swearing in public was in the CA Penal Code but got overturned in the 60's by the Supremes

Pretty women make us BUY beer. Ugly women make us DRINK beer. --Al Bundy

http://www.armsmaster.net-a.googlepages.com

PeterJasonMN Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by armsmaster270 View Post
    Swearing in public was in the CA Penal Code but got overturned in the 60's by the Supremes
    That Diana Ross always had a potty mouth on her
    Last edited by PeterJasonMN; 10-19-07 at 12:54 AM. Reason: Different picture

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I swear my worst when I'm at work. I think it's my way of getting it out of my system so I don't do it around my kids.

www.twitter.com/ORgopher
    www.twitter.com/pojmm
    www.twitter.com/ORGIB

Thread Information