Welcome to the APBWeb.

View Poll Results: Should a Middle School be allowed to give birth control to 11-15 year old students without their par

Voters
62. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, it will help reduce teenage pregnancies

6 9.68%
  • No

19 30.65%
  • Undecided

5 8.06%
  • Hell no, and I would pull my kid from any school that allowed this

32 51.61%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    BEK
    BEK is offline Lieutenant
    Verified LEO

Middle School To Give Out Birth Control Pills

Students at a middle school in Portland, Maine will be able to get birth control pills and patches at their student health center after the local school board approved the proposal Wednesday evening.

The plan, offered by city health officials, makes King Middle School the first middle school in Maine to make a full range of contraception available to students in grades 6 through 8, according to the state Department of Health and Human Services.

There are no national figures on how many middle schools, where most students range in age from 11 to 13, provide such services.

Some parents in Massachusetts worry that distributing birth control at school would encourage sex, not educate kids about it.

"I think that's promoting more promiscuity, so I don't think it should be available to them," one parent said.

"I think it's absolutely too young," said another mother. "But I think it's out of everybody's hands. I think that things are going on and they have to be taken care of."

A Massachusetts Education Department survey found nearly one in three students 15 years old and younger are sexually active. The Massachusetts Alliance on Teen Pregnancy preaches abstinence but believes, even for middle schoolers, it can fall on deaf ears.

"Certainly in the best scenario the parents would be involved in this decision making," said Lydia Watts of the Massachusetts Alliance on Teen Pregnancy.

"What we're concerned about are those young people who are most at risk of teen pregnancy and those are young people who don't have that kind of relationship with their parents."

Prescribing birth control has not been an issue for middle schools in Massachusetts. But the State Department of Education has recommended that school committees consider providing contraception in high schools, though it is not mandated.

At King Middle School, birth control prescriptions will be given after a student undergoes a physical exam by a physician or nurse practitioner, said Lisa Belanger, who oversees Portland's student health centers.

Students treated at the centers must first get written parental permission, but under state law such treatment is confidential, and students decide for themselves whether to tell their parents about the services they receive.

Five of the 134 students who visited King's health center during the 2006-07 school year reported having sexual intercourse, said Amanda Rowe, lead nurse in Portland's school health centers.

LINK

all I have to say about that is DUUUUUHHHHHHHHHH Whiskey Tango Foxtrot this has GOT to be one of the DUMBEST things I have ever heard. If they do this the school staff should be charged with contributing to the delinquency of a minor.

PapaBear is offline SgtCHP-Retired
    Oh, that's cool! Now the pedophiles don't have to worry about impregnating our preteens when they take liberties with the wee ones! How ludicrous and irresponsible.

What ever happened to talking to kids and explaining what is expected of them in their behavior and deportment?

Flippin liberals!
    Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence.
    [George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I also heard a news cast that the parents do not have to be told. Doctor patient stuff. Sorry ain't no body giving my kid sh!t and I don't know.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

Wolven is offline Major
    Verified LEO
    Scary stuff....I also heard that parents don't have to be notified. I sooo don't agree with that...especially that..although really..the whole thing is ludicrious. Makes me glad I don't have kids...I would stress until my eyes bled..I am sure of it.
    Never be afraid to do what's right, especially if the well-being of a person or animal is at stake. Society's punishments are small compared to the wounds we inflict on our soul when we look the other way" ~Martin Luther King, Jr

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by lewisipso View Post
    I also heard a news cast that the parents do not have to be told. Doctor patient stuff. Sorry ain't no body giving my kid sh!t and I don't know.
    Although I don't like it, I could live with them providing the care for parents who desired it.

I cannot, and will not allow anyone to treat my children without me knowing about it.

That's BS.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    This is not the job of government.

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

Terminator is offline BANNED
    Hell no!

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Not no but no way. But since they do and will it should be illegal to do so with out the mandatory parent knowledge and consent.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

Iron Man is offline Don't Tase me bro!
    I believe its not the job of the government, but neither is paying for the baby when mommy has to go on welfare.
    This message was brought to you by Tampons. We
    aren't the best thing in the world but we are right up
    there next to it.

To them its always 'scary and aggressive' driving. To us its at times a matter of life and death." -LawnMM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmYie3bB3OU

BEK
    BEK is offline Lieutenant
    Verified LEO
    Tried to merge the two threads but the poll didnt like it I guess

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    The kids aren't asking for permission to have sex and get knocked up, and obviously they're not talking to their parents about safe sex, so if they're willing to go on birth control and quit having babies in middle and high school, then at least this gives them some way of getting it. There's a pregnant 8th grader at my daughter's school now, and I'm relatively certain her parents had no clue their baby girl was going out bumping uglies with someone. Kids aren't scared of doing things without protection, they don't think of the consequences. They just do it. Will it encourage promiscuity? Only among the ones who would do it anyhow.
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

armsmaster270 is offline Ret. Sac. P.D. - 270th M.P. Co., Now with D.H.S.
    Verified LEO
    The parents can opt to take their child out of that school though and the school can't stop that.

Pretty women make us BUY beer. Ugly women make us DRINK beer. --Al Bundy

http://www.armsmaster.net-a.googlepages.com

Buttercup is offline Thrives in sunshine
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    There is no way I'd want my child to be given birth control pills without my consent.

Terminator is offline BANNED
    Quote Originally Posted by BEK View Post
    Tried to merge the two threads but the poll didnt like it I guess
    Fixed.

E-man is offline No bird but dog and 3 cats
    Verified LEO
    What the Fuk happened to the 3 R's, readin, ritin and 'rithmatic?
    Now they gotta add O, and P,
    A monday morning lunatic, disturbed from time to time. Temporary catatonic madman on occasion..

Lightning crashes a new mother cries, her placenta falls to the floor. The angel opens her eyes,the confusion sets in before the doctor can even close the door..
    The views and comments of E-man are mine and mine alone and therefore might not reflect the views of others or people in my current department. As such since this is still America I can post what I want without fear of retribution. I think.

RIP Eric

Growler is offline I is not happy
    Verified LEO
    wow.... I guess the school is thinking that it's going to help since the kids are going to screw anyway. So they can avoid pregnancies but have all the std's available???
    But of course, the sparents get mad when the school does not educate the kids about sex, but then parents gets mad when they do. Can't please folks.

deputysykes is offline Corporal
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by E-man View Post
    What the Fuk happened to the 3 R's, readin, ritin and 'rithmatic?
    Now they gotta add O, and P,
    I don't know which blows my mind more; the school doing that or ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    I'm not ruining your life, you are, and I'm just going to write a short story about it.

Doc_Holliday is offline California Dreaming...
    Are you freakin kidding me?? Lets enable these lil kids to do something ILLEGAL!! How about we try teaching language and math instead of bangin....and who is gonna pay for the lawyer when the youngun gets knocked up anyway?? Or when the have an abortion because the pill failed? And who is supposed to pay for the abortion??
    500 fights, that's the number I figured when I was a kid. 500 street fights and you could consider yourself a legitimate tough guy. You need them for experience. To develop leather skin. So I got started. Of course along the way you stop thinking about being tough and all that. It stops being the point. You get past the silliness of it all. But then, after, you realize that's what you are.

JLK
    JLK is offline Protecting Those That Can't Protect Themselves
    Verified LEO
    the heck with the pill how about state sanctioned sterilation(ms). when you show a trend towards responsibility ie. job, taxes, limited criminal involvement then you can pay to get a reversal permit. the children will then be totally the parents responsibility to care for with love and financial support. if you screw it up the children go into a state run home and you are then still responsible for financial support.
    oh yea if the school tried to give my child birthcontrol pills I would be upset. there is no telling how those harmones will affect my son.

"A strong man stands up for himself. A stronger man stands up for others."
    Ben

The old sheriff was attending an awards dinner when a lady commented
    on his wearing his sidearm. "Sheriff, I see you have your pistol. Are you
    expecting trouble?" "No Ma'am. If I were expecting trouble, I would have
    brought my rifle."
    (just stole this one hope you don't mind)

The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant,
    it is just that they know so much that isn't so.
    President Ronald Reagan

Lazy Fed is offline Curmudgeon
    OMFG what about the parents being responsible parents!!! WTF!!!!!
    dulce et decorum est pro patria mori

Quote Originally Posted by Resident Smart Ass
    Life is to short not to experience Lazy Fed
    ___ ___ ___
    {o,o} {-.-} {0,0}
    |)__) |)_(| (__(|
    -"-"- -"-"- -"-"-
    O RLY?? YA RLY NO WAI!!!!

The incoherent statements given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency or any other person for that matter. They are MY PERSONAL DELUSIONAL FANTASIES and I accept sole responsibility as such as I am either drunk or stressed out of my mind.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information