Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Virginian is offline Major
    Supporting Member Lvl 2

Two of 'Jena Six' defendants present BET award

http://www.thetowntalk.com/apps/pbcs...710190316/1002

Two of the teens enmeshed in the nationally known "Jena Six" case helped present the most anticipated award during Black Entertainment Television's Hip Hop Awards show broadcast Thursday night.
    Carwin Jones and Bryant Purvis were introduced by Katt Williams, a comedian and the awards show's host, as two of the students involved in a case of "systematic racism." "By no means are we condoning a six-on-one beat-down," Williams said during his introduction of the teens, one of whom is still facing attempted murder charges in connection with the attack on white student Justin Barker. "... But the injustice perpetrated on these young men is straight criminal."
    As Jones and Purvis walked onto the stage at the Atlanta Civic Center, where the awards show was filmed on Saturday, they were greeted by a standing ovation.

"They don't look so tough, do they?" Williams joked as the teens stepped up to the podium.
    Both Jones and Purvis thanked a number of people, including family, friends, the "Hip-Hop Nation" and the thousands who came to their small hometown to rally behind their case.
    Purvis said the Sept. 20 rally proved "our generation can unite and rally around a cause."
    The teens assisted Williams in presenting the Video of the Year honor to Kanye West for "Stronger." Purvis handed the award to West, who in turn shook hands with both teens.
    'Should be humbled'

Some have been critical of the appearance, saying the teens -- accused of knocking Barker unconscious and then stomping and kicking on him until another student intervened -- shouldn't be made out to be celebrities. Barker was treated at a local emergency room for close to three hours and then released.

"If anything, they should be humbled and go home and not be trying to get celebrity status off a tragedy," one person wrote on a BET blog post.
    Another wrote on the blog, titled "What's wrong with this picture?" featuring a picture of Jones and Purvis on the red carpet, "... this is what I was protesting for! So that later you could show up at the BET awards and style and profile?"
    But Tina Jones, Purvis' mom, said BET contacted the Jena Six families to come to the awards show "to get away for a relaxing weekend."
    Also attending the show was Mychal Bell's father, Marcus Jones; Carwin Jones' parents, John Jenkins and Dwanda Jones; and Theo McCoy, the father of Theo Shaw, another defendant.
    "You can't get caught up in what people say," Tina Jones said. "They are going to say something no matter what you do."
    She said her son was most excited about meeting rappers Birdman and Lil Wayne.
    Court allowed the trip

Some have questioned if Carwin Jones and Purvis were allowed to leave the state legally, but Bill Furlow, a spokesman for LaSalle Parish District Attorney Reed Walters, said the boys sought and received the court's permission before going.

Jenkins said the past few months have been stressful for everyone involved and that it was "good to see the kids go out and have fun and laugh."
    "I'm just praying that everything turns out OK for everybody," he said.
    But the criticism has been extensive, including comments from those who said they made the trek to Jena for the rally.
    "They can find somebody else to march for them (be)cause I will not be there the next time, and whoever invited them to this should be slapped," one person wrote on the BET blog. "(You're) not setting a good example for the justice that everyone is fighting for. You look like the thugs they said the Jena 6 are. Thanks for making us look stupid!"
    A poster who said he was from near Jena said it is "sad making the Jena 6 out as heros."
    But Tina Jones emphasized that the appearance was only an opportunity to get away from the stress of the case and Jena -- not about raising awareness or gaining celebrity status.
    Purvis' attorney, Darrell Hickman, declined to comment about his client's appearance and said he doesn't know of any others scheduled in the future.
    Messages left Thursday for Carwin Jones' attorney, Mike Nunnery, went unreturned.
    Calls placed Thursday to the Barker family for comment went unanswered.
    Carwin Jones and Purvis were charged initially with second-degree murder, along with Bell, Shaw, Robert Bailey and Jesse Ray Beard, in connection with the Dec. 4 beating of Barker at Jena High School.
    Bell, who was 16 at the time of the attack, is the first of the six defendants to have been tried and was convicted in June of aggravated second-degree battery and conspiracy to commit that crime. Both of those felony convictions later were vacated and sent back to juvenile court.
    Bell is currently at the Renaissance Home for Youth in Alexandria , said the Rev. B.L. Moran of Jena, who has actively advocated for the teens, including testifying at a congressional hearing earlier this week.
    Bell had spent almost 10 months incarcerated in a LaSalle Parish adult facility before being released on bail in September. He was free for two weeks before being taken back into custody and sentenced to 18 months in connection with two previous juvenile adjudications, the Rev. Al Sharpton said.
    Charges against Bailey, Carwin Jones and Shaw have been reduced to aggravated second-degree battery and conspiracy to commit that crime, which they will face in adult court. Current information about Bell's and Beard's cases are unknown as they are being handled in juvenile court and aren't open to the public. Purvis is scheduled for arraignment on Nov. 7.

Pudge is online now Site Admin
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Unfreakin believable.

Words just can't describe how idiotic that is and what it shows this country.
    "Like" us on facebook! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Offic...93147194083228

Follow members of O/R as they tweet a "Ride a long" on their shifts on the front page of the site and on twitter at the following links:

www.twitter.com/PoliceRideAlong
    www.twitter.com/lewisipso
    www.twitter.com/ORgopher
    www.twitter.com/SecondChance122
    www.twitter.com/pojmm
    www.twitter.com/ORGIB

The opinions given in my posts & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Pudge" on Officerresource.com

armsmaster270 is offline Ret. Sac. P.D. - 270th M.P. Co., Now with D.H.S.
    Verified LEO
    If six white kids beat down a black kid we know what would happen, It would be a federal hate crime.

Pretty women make us BUY beer. Ugly women make us DRINK beer. --Al Bundy

http://www.armsmaster.net-a.googlepages.com

HudsonHawk is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    1. White Duke Lacrosse team players are falsely accused of raping a black exotic dancer. It was alleged that the incident was racially motivated. They are suspended and their identities are revealed to the nation through the media.

2. Five blacks kidnap, rape, tortureand murder a white couple. The case gets almost no media attention. The event is alleged to be racially motivated. http://www.snopes.com/politics/crime/newsom.asp

3. Six blacks assault a fellow student who is white. While the student is unconscious they continue to assault him causing serious physical injury including loss of sight for several weeks. They are definitely guilty of felony "Battery", we call it Assault in New York, and I think a case can be (and was) made for attempted murder. The attack was alleged to be racially motivated. The "Jena Six" are given icon status, people protest that that charges were unfair and the Jena Six are invited to the BET awards!?

I see a tragic pattern here. All of the suspects I mentioned above should have been arrested, there is no doubt that the police had probable cause in each of the cases. The way that the suspects were prosecuted and portrayed by the media vary though.

In my mind there is no reason to put any of these suspects in the limelight. The Jena Six committed a crime. If people feel that the additional charge of 'attempted murder' is unfair, and if in fact the police and prosecutor did violate the Jena Six's rights in some way, I'm certain that political pressure and investigation would result in the prosecutor being debarred. (ie the Duke case) The fact is though, that the jury found at least some of the suspects GUILTY of felony battery, and other charges are still pending.

To view these criminals as icons or focal points for a civil rights movement is beyond logic. They are simply criminals. The fact that people are rallying behind them is sickening to me. It shows me that our civil rights movement has not progressed as far as it should have. We are not treating white and black CRIMINALS equally. Anyone who commits a crime, regardless of race, should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law and portrayed as they are. Criminals who are a danger to our society. Our society that consists of all races.

I think that Parks, King and Marshall would be disappointed...
    "never bring paws to a gunfight" - Jenna

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Kanye West should have been the first clue this was going to be ugly.

I can still remember the look on Mike Meyers' face when Kanye went off on his "Bush hates black people" tangent when trying to raise money for Katrina survivors.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

HudsonHawk is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by maclean View Post

I can still remember the look on Mike Meyers' face when Kanye went off on his "Bush hates black people" tangent when trying to raise money for Katrina survivors.
    Chris Rock looked shocked too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIUzLpO1kxI
    "never bring paws to a gunfight" - Jenna

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    When a guy manages to shock libtards, someone should pay attention.

Thanks for posting the clip, I needed to see it again and remember.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

MonsterMash is offline Proud 3%er
    Why can't 6 black males who jump one white guy be charged with a hate crime? If the roles were reversed, then you bet the Feds would jump in.
    Are you a 3%er? If you aren't, you should be.

mack is offline Officer Resource Offical Auctioneer
    Premium Lifetime Member
    The double standards in this country are ridiculous.

My dad, I miss him every day.

Originally Posted by Wolven
    Life is too short to wear unsexy underwear.

I am a female!!!!! LMAO

Be who you are and say what you feel.....
    Because those that matter...don't mind...
    And those that mind...don't matter

Terminator is offline BANNED
    Quote Originally Posted by vengeance05 View Post
    1. White Duke Lacrosse team players are falsely accused of raping a black exotic dancer. It was alleged that the incident was racially motivated. They are suspended and their identities are revealed to the nation through the media.

All of the suspects I mentioned above should have been arrested, there is no doubt that the police had probable cause in each of the cases...
    Actually I disagree. I have a family member whose department investigated the case, and let's just say it was a quick jump to conclusions political re-election move, without having all the facts.

Star Man is offline Guns only have two enemies; rust and politicians
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by maclean View Post

I was thinking the same thing. HE's possibly worse than Jane Fonda....

Well,, probably not but he's still a piece of shizit!

BrickCop is offline "Shrinkage Proof"
    Can you imagine the reaction if the Duke players were invited as presenters at the Emmy Awards shortly after they were indicted?

You can't have two standards in the name of equality. They think everyone is blind to their unmitigated hypocrisy.
    Why no, that's not a pregnant anaconda in my pants...why do you ask?

Wolven is offline Major
    Verified LEO
    WOW...what the hell? The whole thing doesn't even make any sense...damn freakin' double standard
    Never be afraid to do what's right, especially if the well-being of a person or animal is at stake. Society's punishments are small compared to the wounds we inflict on our soul when we look the other way" ~Martin Luther King, Jr

Doc_Holliday is offline California Dreaming...
    I am not sure, but this may be one of the first signs of the apocalypse. You have got to be kidding me...notice how fast the myspace thing with one of those "kids" rolling in money went away?? Lets face it people, the whole freakin country has gone political correct crazy...we are upside down. I am not afraid to say it, what we are witnessing is racism pure and simple...a different set of standards for one group based solely on color. Its ok for a person of color to use certain phrases, but let a white kid say it once, and he is labeled...nothing but ridiculous.
    500 fights, that's the number I figured when I was a kid. 500 street fights and you could consider yourself a legitimate tough guy. You need them for experience. To develop leather skin. So I got started. Of course along the way you stop thinking about being tough and all that. It stops being the point. You get past the silliness of it all. But then, after, you realize that's what you are.

10-42Adam is offline Major
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    It's completely out of control. Double standards in this country are running wild and I'm so sick of it.
    Calm Like A Bomb...

A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. An optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty.
    -Winston Churchill

Thread Information