Welcome to the APBWeb.
    MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator

Vancouver, WA Police Dog Shot to Death

http://www.komotv.com/news/10757366.html

BRUSH PRAIRIE, Wash. - A police standoff in Brush Prairie ended just a few hours after it started, but the man at the center of it all made it clear he did not want to be taken into custody, and officials say it appears he shot and killed one a police dogs.

The incident began just before 2 p.m. when a man called 911 and reported that a man he knew wanted to kill a police officer.

The caller added that the man was armed with a .357 revolver, had been drinking and was walking down the railroad tracks in the area of Northeast 137th Avenue in the direction of the Brush Prairie Market on Caples Road.

Police learned the man in question was 38-year-old Ronald Chenette, who was convicted back in 1991 of second-degree murder. He also had several misdemeanor warrants for his arrest and was a suspect in a stalking case.

When deputies arrived, they checked out the Brush Prairie Market, but the Chenette was not there. A short time later, he was spotted running along the nearby railroad tracks and then disappeared into heavy brush and trees.

Deputies blocked off the area and called for a SWAT Team. Police dogs from the Clackamas County Sheriff's Office and the Vancouver Police Department were brought in as well.

During the search for the Chenette, a shot was heard and one of the police dogs did not return. A second dog located the Chenette and after a struggle with police, he was taken into custody.

Officers searched for the missing police dog and found the animal dead, apparently from a single gun shot to the head. The dog was a German shepherd named Dakota. His handler was Officer Roger Evans from the Vancouver Police Department.

Chenette, 38, made his first court appearance in Clark County Superior Court on Wednesday, and he could face a life sentence.

As he entered the courtroom, Chenette used his finger to mime firing a gun at a television camera, and said to the judge, "I should have shot the second dog."

Deputy Prosecutor Jim David said he plans to add a firearm enhancement to the charge, making it a "strike" under Washington's three strikes law. Chenette has previous convictions for second-degree murder and second-degree assault.

Chenette is being held without bail.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

Pudge is online now Site Admin
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Hopefully the second dog took a chunk out of him.

RIP K-9 Dakota
    "Like" us on facebook! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Offic...93147194083228

Follow members of O/R as they tweet a "Ride a long" on their shifts on the front page of the site and on twitter at the following links:

www.twitter.com/PoliceRideAlong
    www.twitter.com/lewisipso
    www.twitter.com/ORgopher
    www.twitter.com/SecondChance122
    www.twitter.com/pojmm
    www.twitter.com/ORGIB

The opinions given in my posts & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Pudge" on Officerresource.com

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    What really caught my eye is our dog is also "Dakota."
    I'm your huckleberry...

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

Tuff is offline Redneckwannabepopo
    Right now there is a officer that is mourning the loss of his partner......
    http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm...ndid=197722498

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

armsmaster270 is offline Ret. Sac. P.D. - 270th M.P. Co., Now with D.H.S.
    Verified LEO
    I'm glad he made the statement "I should have shot the second dog" In open court That makes it admissable. Sucks to be him. Too bad, so sad. Hope he gets Bubba for a cellmate.

Pretty women make us BUY beer. Ugly women make us DRINK beer. --Al Bundy

http://www.armsmaster.net-a.googlepages.com

Buttercup is offline Thrives in sunshine
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    RIP Dakota

Illiy is offline Corporal
    A*sh*&$!

Rip Dakota

PapaBear is offline SgtCHP-Retired
    For DAKOTA:

Rainbow Bridge

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.

There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.

There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.

The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    RIP Faithful one. You have done your duty and earned the love and respect of those whom you served. Thank you!
    Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence.
    [George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

Wolven is offline Major
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuff View Post
    Right now there is a officer that is mourning the loss of his partner......
    So true. RIP Dakota and prayers for the officer. Tough time.

This is why I will not be a K9 officer...they would have to tranq me..over the sadness of losing a partner and so I did not completely anhilate the person who killed my dog. Seriously...the tazmanian devil would have NOTHING on me. LOL

Same goes with my mounted patrol partner now. Difference is we usually do only "warm and fuzzy" demonstrations and security during air shows or Christmas shoppers at the mall...not usually as intense as K9 officers and their partners do. But still...ack...I feel sorry ahead of time for anyone that hurts my horse.
    Never be afraid to do what's right, especially if the well-being of a person or animal is at stake. Society's punishments are small compared to the wounds we inflict on our soul when we look the other way" ~Martin Luther King, Jr

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Update on dirt bag...

http://www.kirotv.com/news/14422821/detail.html

VANCOUVER, Wash. -- A Clark County man accused of killing a Vancouver police dog could face a life sentence, reported KIRO 7 Eyewitness News.Investigators said Ronald Chenette shot Dakota, a five-year-old German shepherd, in the head as the animal chased him on Tuesday during a police pursuit.Prosecutors said that because Chenette has two previous convictions, they'll pursue the charge under Washington's three strikes law.In court on Wednesday, Chenette acted as if he had a gun, pointed his fingers and pretended to shoot at a news photographer's camera.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Star Man is offline Guns only have two enemies; rust and politicians
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by maclean View Post
    Update on dirt bag...

http://www.kirotv.com/news/14422821/detail.html

VANCOUVER, Wash. -- A Clark County man accused of killing a Vancouver police dog could face a life sentence, reported KIRO 7 Eyewitness News.

Oh please oh please give him the life sentence,,, but somehow I think the liberal judge that hears this case (even if a jury finds him guilty) won't understand the value of the dog to the department and the K-9 handler. The judge will give some dumbass probation or suspended sentence or something.....

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Actually, this is one instance where a libtard State works to our advantage. The man killed a dog, and people here get heartsick.

They should be pissed and heartsick.

What gets me is, when a human cop is killed - there isn't much outrage.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Thread Information