Welcome to the APBWeb.
    BEB
    BEB is offline Banned

71% of Virginians unaware of Move Over law

I wonder how the public is being informed about Move Over laws. What is the best way to get the message out? How does this % compare to your state and what you see on the road?

Should I contact my state senator and suggest one for here? Admittedly, part of my motivation would be to distract him from making laws I disagree with.

Virginia: Unknown Traffic Violation Carries $2500 Fine

Virginia motorists face $2500 fine for Move Over traffic violation about which 71 percent of public is unaware.

Five years ago, the Virginia legislature made it a serious crime to drive past a police officer stopped on the side of the road without changing lanes. As a result, unsuspecting motorists -- including those who are not speeding -- can nonetheless be caught in a speed trap and face a first degree misdemeanor ticket that carries a fine of up to $2500. Despite the significant financial penalty involved, nearly three-quarters of all motorists have never heard of "move over" laws, according to a Virginia State Police news release issued in July.

Forty states require drivers approaching a police vehicle with flashing lights activated either to make an immediate lane change or to slow down at least 20 MPH under the posted speed limit.

"If drivers do not move over or slow down, officers can and do write citations," the Virginia State Police statement explained.

"Our nation's law enforcement professionals put their lives on the line to protect our citizens," said Bill Johnson, executive director of the National Association of Police Organizations. "Slowing down and changing lanes to give our first responders the space they need to stay safe is the least we can do in return. It's what we must do. Move Over, America. It's the law."

Motorists who are pulled over in a speed trap, however, can find themselves placed in just as much peril as law enforcement. Likewise, some police agencies reject move over laws as dangerous. In 2005, California Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger (R) vetoed similar legislation, citing the objection of the California Highway Patrol.

"This bill is unnecessary and could result in the unintended consequences of additional roadway hazards," Schwarzenegger said in his veto message. "Specifically, the California Highway Patrol is concerned that this bill's mandate could create chaotic and dangerous situations at crime and collision scenes on the state's freeways."

A year later, an essentially identical Move Over bill was signed into law in California.

http://www.thenewspaper.com/news/20/2032.asp

Pudge is online now Site Admin
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Jeez, the article is about something entirely different, yet they still manage to use the term "Speed Trap" repeatedly.
    "Like" us on facebook! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Offic...93147194083228

Follow members of O/R as they tweet a "Ride a long" on their shifts on the front page of the site and on twitter at the following links:

www.twitter.com/PoliceRideAlong
    www.twitter.com/lewisipso
    www.twitter.com/ORgopher
    www.twitter.com/SecondChance122
    www.twitter.com/pojmm
    www.twitter.com/ORGIB

The opinions given in my posts & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Pudge" on Officerresource.com

PeterJasonMN Guest
    I can figure one way to really get the word out.

jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterJasonMN View Post
    I can figure one way to really get the word out.
    Write lots of tickets.

That's one way

In MN we have signs all over the interstates and highways that say something to the effect of "Move over for parked emergency vehicles" or something like that.

Even if there isn't a law about this, it's common sense to move over. Whether it's a police car, fire truck, tow truck, or stranded motorist...get over!

Also, Gov. Schwarzenegger's (sp) statement about creating hazardous conditions is hogwash. As stated in the above sentence, it's common sense at work. If you can move over, do it. If you can't, at least slow down until you're past. Or slow down until you can move over.
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

PeterJasonMN Guest
    jmur,

At Skills in 2005 our Accident Recon class was taught by a current Trooper. He showed us pics of the scene of Ted Foss's accident. Ugh.

In one picture you could see a tire, some linkage....and a face. On a 10'x10' screen.

Every person convicted of breaking this law should have to see that picture the way I saw it.

armsmaster270 is offline Ret. Sac. P.D. - 270th M.P. Co., Now with D.H.S.
    Verified LEO
    Here's one for you. Until now I didn't know of CA's move over law. I just did it out of habit.

Pretty women make us BUY beer. Ugly women make us DRINK beer. --Al Bundy

http://www.armsmaster.net-a.googlepages.com

jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterJasonMN View Post
    jmur,

At Skills in 2005 our Accident Recon class was taught by a current Trooper. He showed us pics of the scene of Ted Foss's accident. Ugh.

In one picture you could see a tire, some linkage....and a face. On a 10'x10' screen.

Every person convicted of breaking this law should have to see that picture the way I saw it.
    I remember talking to you about that.

Yeah that was....well, yeah. 'nuff said.
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

Wolven is offline Major
    Verified LEO
    "I wonder how the public is being informed about Move Over laws. What is the best way to get the message out? How does this % compare to your state and what you see on the road?"

A ticket would do nicely. Tired of having to not only watch out for the people in the car who might do me harm but also the damn drivers speeding past. It doesn't take a rocket scientist..law or not...to be considerate and slow down or move over when someone is parked partially in the road and getting out of their car.
    Never be afraid to do what's right, especially if the well-being of a person or animal is at stake. Society's punishments are small compared to the wounds we inflict on our soul when we look the other way" ~Martin Luther King, Jr

Virginian is offline Major
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    I guess the main reason for the law is to ticket people intentionally dusting officers, not those who get stuck in the lane and can't move over before passing the emergency vehicle. If you use common courtesy you aren't going to be ticketed.

OXCOPS is offline Usual Suspect
    I think most states aren't going to spend millions on ad campaigns for it simply because it is meant to benefit such a small group of residents (the LEOs). Think about it. A DUI, or seatbelt, campaign is focused on EVERYONE....millions. A "move over" campaign is meant to benefit ten thousand? More or less?

I don't think it's meant to slight the LE community in any way. I just think that in these days of budget shortages, you spend your money on things that will benefit the most people.

I haven't seen anything other than the occasional road sign at a state's border.

Just KC is offline Who?......Me?
    Quote Originally Posted by armsmaster270 View Post
    Here's one for you. Until now I didn't know of CA's move over law. I just did it out of habit.
    I didn't know about it either lol
    I always do move over though, too.
    Interesting!

They could do a mass mailing like all the politicians do.
    ~Karie

"I used to care
    but now I take a pill for that"

Thread Information