Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    BEK
    BEK is offline Lieutenant
    Verified LEO

Schwarzenegger Signs New Gun Law

A new method of identifying gun-related crimes was signed into law on Saturday by California Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger. The Gun Crime Identification Act was passed by both the California State Assembly and the State Senate, and received the Governor's stamp of approval on order to provide police with a new tool at their disposal to determine which guns are involved in crimes.

The Gun Crime Identification Act (AB 1471) will make it possible for police to identify the gun involved in a crime without the gun. The new law requires that guns will "microstamp" certain information on bullets fired by that gun, such as the serial number, so that the bullet will identify the gun used. This information will be available immediately to law enforcement officers, rather than first having to acquire the gun and comparing certain markings on the bullet casing that is unique to that gun. The new technology can result in faster and more accurate identification of perpetrators in many crimes that involve guns.

The president of the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, Paul Helmke, applauds Governor Schwarzenegger for "taking a bold step to solve gun murders in California. This ground-breaking law gives police officers a powerful tool to apprehend armed criminals and gang members before they strike again." He continued, "The Governor has set a new national standard for the rest of the country to follow."

The law will require all semi-automatic weapons manufactured and sold in California to "microstamp" the make, model and serial number of the gun on each bullet casing starting in 2010. The new technology will be most helpful in crimes where the only evidence available is the bullet casing, such as in the case of drive-by shootings that are common in gang-related crimes.

IDIOTS do criminals legally buy firearms and ammunition All I can say is "PEOPLE FROM CALIFORNIA SAY GOODBYE TO YOUR FIREARMS" This wouldnt help cops one bit in solving anything, this is a ploy. Dont feel any safer by this tactic. Criminals dont use legal firearms, hell most if not all of them are not allowed by law to even look at a gun. I hold a FFL and in my catalogs there are two types of guns being sold regular firearms and CA OK firearms. Gun manufacturers are going to make less and less guns that are CA ok and pretty soon you will not be able to find a CA OK firearm.

CA you either need to stand up for your rights to keep your 2nd amendment rights or vote yourself into Mexico and stop leading the way to stupidity

Ender is offline Three Sheets...
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    guess i'll have to start using my revolver in drive bys!

Supporting Member Lvl 3
    or maybe file/switch out the extractor?

i'm sorry guys, it wasn't working right due to some ridges on the inside. i filed them off, and it feeds PERFECTLY now!

BEB
    BEB is offline Banned
    My first thought when I initially heard of this microstamping idea was "that sounds about damn useless."

My second thought was "what a devilishly handy way to frame someone." Yes, the thought came in a Stewie Griffin voice. First series run fiendish Stewie, not reinstated series more gay by the day Stewie.

My third thought was "maybe I should write a book using this as a device", while my fourth thought was "I don't write books" followed by "why don't you" and from there things went downhill quite quickly.

Veering back on topic, I agree with all the stuff BEK said up there. That FBI report from a few days ago should make that obvious, even to a Left Coast Liberal. But then their stake in this is harming gun ownership, not solving crimes.

armsmaster270 is offline Ret. Sac. P.D. - 270th M.P. Co., Now with D.H.S.
    Verified LEO
    Nice thought but a losing idea. Just like keeping a slug and case from all new guns. So many ways to defeat it without leaving a trace.

Pretty women make us BUY beer. Ugly women make us DRINK beer. --Al Bundy

http://www.armsmaster.net-a.googlepages.com

TheeBadOne is offline Why so serious?
    Verified LEO
    This is just a "feel good measure". While I don't support it, as a Cop, if it did anything to help me it would at least make it a bit more tolerable. But it's been proven to be useless. Just another way of the anti's trying to tax the firearm industry into oblivion.
    "When I'm driving along and I see a sign that says, CAUTION: SMALL CHILDREN AHEAD,
    I slow down, and then it occurs to me, I'm not afraid of small children"!

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Son of a bitch has the balls to call himself a Republican.

*spit*
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Quote Originally Posted by maclean View Post
    Son of a bitch has the balls to call himself a Republican.

*spit*
    well, he effectively married a Kennedy....

Rhino is offline Meat-eater & Fire-breather
    Verified LEO
    The best way to ID guns used in crime?

Allow every good, honest citizen to carry a gun and when they are attacked, you simply get the serial number off the perp's gun when you take it from their dead hands after the victim defends themselves.

Or does that make too much sense?
    "If everyone is thinking alike, then someone isn't thinking." -Gen. George S. Patton

Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhino View Post
    The best way to ID guns used in crime?

Allow every good, honest citizen to carry a gun and when they are attacked, you simply get the serial number off the perp's gun when you take it from their dead hands after the victim defends themselves.

Or does that make too much sense?
    the average cop? i'd bet it makes PERFECT sense.

to the average perp....i mean, liberal? it makes NO sense

dadyswat is offline Officer First Class
    Verified LEO
    I hope the gun companies just stop selling all firearms and ammo in Mexifornia and then see what the public does.

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by dadyswat View Post
    I hope the gun companies just stop selling all firearms and ammo in Mexifornia and then see what the public does.
    I bet if they stop selling them in California, other states would have no more officer shortages as they lateralled out of CA.
    I'm your huckleberry...

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

pc830cop is offline Just another squirrel looking for a NUT
    Verified LEO
    28 months before mandatory... one gun purchase a month = 28 new guns! gotta work lots of ot during that time

Searching for Evil and the Perfect donut (Love that book)

"It's not who you are underneath, but what you do that defines you"
    -Batman Begins

There are gains for all our losses
    There are balms for all our pain
    But, when youth, the dream, departs
    It takes something from our hearts
    And it never comes again

"Captain, it is I Ensign Pulver. I just threw your damn palm tree overboard. Now, what's all this crap about no movie tonight?" -Ens Pulver in Mister Roberts

The man who will go where his colors go, without asking who will fight a phantom foe in the jungle and mountain range, without counting, and who will suffer and die in the midst of incredible hardship, without complaint, is still what he has always been, from Imperial Rome to sceptered Britain to democratic America. He is the stuff of which legions are made. ...His pride is in his colors and his regiment, his training hard and thorough and coldly realistic, to fit him for what he must face...and his obedience is to his orders. He has been called United State Marine.
    T.R. Fehrenbach, This Kind of War

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by pc830cop View Post
    28 months before mandatory... one gun purchase a month = 28 new guns! gotta work lots of ot during that time
    Oh man...
    I'm your huckleberry...

Star Man is offline Guns only have two enemies; rust and politicians
    Verified LEO
    How f-ing ridiculous. 'Ol Schwarzenegger is getting pretty liberal pretty fast after getting elected under mostly "conservative" views...

dadyswat is offline Officer First Class
    Verified LEO
    Tied to Uncle Teddy, what do you expect?

bayern is offline Officer First Class
    Verified LEO
    Alright, now. Will someone tell me how that is going to work. When you buy ammo, do you have to take your weapon with you to have EACH AND EVERY cartridge engraved with the required info? What if you get your ammo out of state, do you take it to the AMMO ENGRAVING DIVISION OF WHAT EVER PD, to get it done. I really don't understand this "law." Hows about someone splaining in plain english what it means.

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by bayern View Post
    Alright, now. Will someone tell me how that is going to work. When you buy ammo, do you have to take your weapon with you to have EACH AND EVERY cartridge engraved with the required info? What if you get your ammo out of state, do you take it to the AMMO ENGRAVING DIVISION OF WHAT EVER PD, to get it done. I really don't understand this "law." Hows about someone splaining in plain english what it means.
    The concept is that the gun stamps the case when it cycles.

It doesn't work yet.
    I'm your huckleberry...

armsmaster270 is offline Ret. Sac. P.D. - 270th M.P. Co., Now with D.H.S.
    Verified LEO
    its a good thing I already have a 6 year supply of ammo on hand. God help the firemen that come to put out my garage fire.

Pretty women make us BUY beer. Ugly women make us DRINK beer. --Al Bundy

http://www.armsmaster.net-a.googlepages.com

CaliTheKid is offline Investigator
    Verified LEO
    Can't wait for criminals to take stamped brass from public ranges to spread at crime scenes.

Wheeee!!!!
    The great will make you feel like you too can be great.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information