Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Resident Smart Ass is offline I ASK THE QUESTIONS AROUND HERE
    Verified LEO

What has this world come to?!?! WTF

What happened to fist fighting to work out our differences? Is everything being settled with guns?!?! UNBELIEVABLE!!!!

BulletProof Packpack: Does It Really Work?

(CBS4) WEST PALM BEACH School shootings are a real fear this day and age and now a Massachusetts company has invented what they call a bulletproof backpack in order to keep kids safe.

The company advertisements claim the backpack will stop a nine millimeter and that it’ll stop about 90 percent of the weapons that have been used in school shootings.

But does it really work?

A West Palm Beach radio station purchased one of the backpacks and decided to put it to the test. They took the backpack to a gun range, strapped it to a stand and enlisted experienced gunman John Patrick to fire the shots.

Standing about 15 feet away, Patrick first fired a nine-millimeter handgun, then a 45-millimeter and finally a 38-millimeter was fired at the backpack.

After the backpack was checked for holes on the outside and penetration on the inside, it was determined that the backpack held up very well and did better than expected.

"I thought it held up exceptionally well and it didn't penetrate it, just bulged the backside and I was very impressed with it,” said gunman John Patrick.

Radio station producer Tim Burger agreed. “The 45 was a little bit of an extreme. I personally didn't think it was going to stop it and it ended up holding its own."

John said it appears that injuries to the person wearing this backpack would be minimal.

The backpacks sell for about $175.00. They were created by two fathers inspired by the Columbine school massacre.

http://cbs4.com/topstories/local_story_299105440.html
    Don't you just hate it when someone's balls are hidden so well, they can't seem to find it themselves ~ RSA

You can't avoid gossip & rude words from
    people. You can't please everybody. But remember, they wouldn't bother if you meant nothing.

FOLLOW RSA ON TWITTER (IF YOU'RE GOING TO FOLLOW ME, PLEASE SEND ME A MESSAGE ON HERE WITH YOUR O/R USERNAME AND TWEET USERNAME SO I'LL KNOW WHO I'M ACCEPTING OTHERWISE YOU WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED!)
    https://twitter.com/RESIDENTSMARTAS

A PINT OF SWEAT SAVES A GALLON OF BLOOD ~ PATTON

ManImBored is offline Ninja In Training
    Verified LEO
    I bet that thing is heavy. I know how my vest feels. Add the weight of text books and everything else the kids carry in their backpacks these days. I wouldnt want to carry that thing around.
    "Sometimes doing the right thing, is not doing the right thing."

Terminator is offline BANNED
    The backpack is a dumb idea. I miss the old days of fist fighting out our differences.

Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Terminator View Post
    The backpack is a dumb idea. I miss the old days of fist fighting out our differences.

yup!

I think yours and my generation was the last to have fist fights to work out our differences. I think I'll be home schooling my kids
    Don't you just hate it when someone's balls are hidden so well, they can't seem to find it themselves ~ RSA

people. You can't please everybody. But remember, they wouldn't bother if you meant nothing.

FOLLOW RSA ON TWITTER (IF YOU'RE GOING TO FOLLOW ME, PLEASE SEND ME A MESSAGE ON HERE WITH YOUR O/R USERNAME AND TWEET USERNAME SO I'LL KNOW WHO I'M ACCEPTING OTHERWISE YOU WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED!)

Buttercup is offline Thrives in sunshine
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Resident Smart Ass View Post
    yup!

I think yours and my generation was the last to have fist fights to work out our differences. I think I'll be home schooling my kids
    You know what, RSA? If I had a child I'd absolutely consider home schooling. I worry about my nephews in elementary school.

Verified LEO
    Well thanks to Columbine incident, our schools are no longer safe?

BEB
    BEB is offline Banned
    New version of this guy's idea.

Bill Crozier, a Union City Republican going against incumbent Democrat Sandy Garrett, said he believes old textbooks could be used to stop bullets shot from weapons wielded by school intruders.

If elected, he said he would put thick used textbooks under every desk for students to use in self-defense.
    http://www.koco.com/news/10105982/detail.html

Buttercup is offline Thrives in sunshine
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Well thanks to Columbine incident, our schools are no longer safe?
    I was talking to a school administrator recently and he told me that there are at least 3 students - each no older than 11 - that are in anger management therapy and were removed from that school because it was felt that they posed a threat to the school and to themselves, so they're now attending some type of alternative school (which apparently has tighter security).

213th is offline Solipsist
    I've never heard of a 45 millimeter or 38 millimeter handgun...but I want one (for those of you who don't know 45mm is 4.5 cm. 2.5cm=1 inch so a 45mm would be just under 2inches diameter)
    He who has the money, signs the cheques.
    He who signs the cheques, makes the rules.
    He who makes the rules, has the power.
    He who has the power, has the money.

Cidp24 is offline Tempus Fugit
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    yup!

I dont remember anyone ever getting much more than a good paddling or yelling at for fist fighting when I was in school. Now you will probably get expelled and criminally charged. This might sound stupid but to me, there was nothing in the world wrong with the occasional fight at school, as long as neither offender made it a habit and there were no weapons. I can remember fighting a friend somewhere in about the 7-8 grade one day and going to the fair with him and his family two nights later.
    "It wouldn't take much for me to up and run...
    to another life somewhere in the sun."
    "There's something inherently wrong with having to put on a bullet-proof vest and a gun to go to work."-(An old friend)

Any statements or opinions given in my postings or profile do not reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employer or anyone else other than me. They are my personal opinions or statements only, thereby releasing my employer , any other entity, or any other person of any liability or involvement in anything posted under the username "Cidp24" on O/R.

Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Cidp24 View Post
    I dont remember anyone ever getting much more than a good paddling or yelling at for fist fighting when I was in school. Now you will probably get expelled and criminally charged. This might sound stupid but to me, there was nothing in the world wrong with the occasional fight at school, as long as neither offender made it a habit and there were no weapons. I can remember fighting a friend somewhere in about the 7-8 grade one day and going to the fair with him and his family two nights later.
    i agree. few fights here and there..but now it's like they look at each other the wrong way and it becomes the wild wild west

Rhino is offline Meat-eater & Fire-breather
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by 213th View Post
    I've never heard of a 45 millimeter or 38 millimeter handgun...but I want one (for those of you who don't know 45mm is 4.5 cm. 2.5cm=1 inch so a 45mm would be just under 2inches diameter)
    Glad I'm not the only one that caught that. Imagine that. A reporter who doesn't check their facts.
    "If everyone is thinking alike, then someone isn't thinking." -Gen. George S. Patton

armsmaster270 is offline Ret. Sac. P.D. - 270th M.P. Co., Now with D.H.S.
    Verified LEO
    I have a 26.5mm pistol but it shoots Very Flares. Talk about a case of heartburn.

Pretty women make us BUY beer. Ugly women make us DRINK beer. --Al Bundy

http://www.armsmaster.net-a.googlepages.com

Thread Information