Welcome to the APBWeb.
    BEB
    BEB is offline Banned

Ban on leaded petrol 'has cut crime rates around the world'

Uh....ok.

Ban on leaded petrol 'has cut crime rates around the world'
    By Geoffrey Lean, Environment Editor
    Published: 28 October 2007

Banning lead in petrol is responsible for declining crime rates in Britain, the United States and other countries, startling new research suggests.

The astonishing conclusion threatens to overturn current thinking on crime and punishment. And it could undermine the reputations of leading politicians, including Rudy Giuliani, the frontrunning Republican presidential candidate, who is basing much of his appeal on the reduction of crime in New York City in the 1990s, when he served as mayor.

Published in the peer-reviewed journal, Environmental Research, the study reports a "very strong association" over more than 50 years between the exposure of young children to the toxic metal and crime rates 20 years later when they are young adults.

And it says the association holds true for a wide variety of countries with differing social conditions, law and order policies.

Rates of violent and other crimes began falling sharply in the US in the early 1990s, and have continued to do so, followed by similar tends elsewhere.

Reducing crime has proved to be the foundation of the careers of many politicians who embraced tough law and order policies none more so than Mr Giuliani, who not long ago boasted: "I reduced homicides by 67 per cent; I reduced overall crime by 57 per cent."

Yet evidence is growing that the banning of lead should take much more of the credit for reducing crime rates. The toxic metal has long been known to damage brains and to lead to criminal and aggressive behaviour.

Research at Pittsburgh University found that adolescents arrested for crime in the city had lead levels four times higher than their law-abiding contemporaries, and a study of 3,000 possible causes of criminality in 1,000 young people by Fordham University, New York, found that high lead levels were the best predictor of delinquent and violent behaviour.

The metal was first added to petrol in the 1920s to boost engine power and its use grew rapidly: levels in blood rose in parallel.It was phased out first in the US, starting in 1974, to be followed by other countries.

Britain one of the last to get rid of the toxic metal is one of the latest to enjoy a decline in crime.

http://environment.independent.co.uk...cle3104678.ece

213th is online now Solipsist
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    yeah...sure
    He who has the money, signs the cheques.
    He who signs the cheques, makes the rules.
    He who makes the rules, has the power.
    He who has the power, has the money.

armsmaster270 is offline Ret. Sac. P.D. - 270th M.P. Co., Now with D.H.S.
    Verified LEO
    exsqueeze me? WTF

Pretty women make us BUY beer. Ugly women make us DRINK beer. --Al Bundy

http://www.armsmaster.net-a.googlepages.com

Willowdared is offline Bendy not Breaky
    Lead poisening is pretty nasty stuff - lowers IQ's by several points, and leads to erratic behavior.
    Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

Do not puff, shade, skew, tailor, firm up, stretch, massage,
    or otherwise distort statements of fact.
    FBI Special Agent Coleen Rowley

mack is offline Officer Resource Offical Auctioneer
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Interesting theory anyway

My dad, I miss him every day.

Originally Posted by Wolven
    Life is too short to wear unsexy underwear.

I am a female!!!!! LMAO

Be who you are and say what you feel.....
    Because those that matter...don't mind...
    And those that mind...don't matter

BEB
    BEB is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by PDawg View Post
    Lead poisening is pretty nasty stuff - lowers IQ's by several points, and leads to erratic behavior.
    I was trying to find information detailing how much lead is still retained in those who were exposed to leaded gas. Couldn't find exactly what I was looking for, but this writeup is an interesting read. http://www.eco-usa.net/toxics/lead.shtml

Kids these days would have to sand the lead paint off their tainted toys and snort it to get anywhere near the exposure most anyone born before the mid 1980's got. Go back a couple decades - we had leaded paint, leaded gas, lead shot in the ducks grandpa would bring for supper (and in the water those ducks lived in), not to mention lead used in electric devices and in the air via other industrial sources. Lead used to be everywhere. Actually it still is, in soil, again something that contemporary kids are exposed to less of.

Lead exposure may very well have played some minor role in crime rates, but no where near how much this author suggests.

Or so it seems to me.

countybear is offline BDRT - Baby Daddy Removal Team
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    They should stick with studying the sexual habits of the South American swamp rabbit.

"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money."
    - Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Tell me not, Sweet, I am unkind,
    That from the nunnery
    Of thy chaste breast and quiet mind
    To war and arms I fly.
    - Lovelace

The opinions expressed by this poster are wholly his own, and should never be construed to even remotely be in representation of his employer, its agencies or assigns. In fact, they probably fail to be in alignment with the opinions of any rational human being.

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    ???
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

Thread Information