Welcome to the APBWeb.
    NavLaw is offline Officer First Class

WARNING. "Golden compass" movie

I just learned about a kids movie coming out in December starring Nicole Kidman. It's called The Golden Compass, and while it will be a watered down version, it is based on a series of children's books about killing God (It is the anti-Narnia). Please follow this link, and then pass it on. From what I understand, the hope is to get alot of kids to see the movie - which won't seem to bad - and then get the parents to buy the books for their kids for Christmas. The quotes from the auther sum it all up.

http://snopes.com/politics/religion/compass.asp
    If you can't do it from a boat. Do you really want to do it?

213th is offline Solipsist
    wow
    He who has the money, signs the cheques.
    He who signs the cheques, makes the rules.
    He who makes the rules, has the power.
    He who has the power, has the money.

Virginian is offline Major
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    I'm not super-religious, but this is obnoxious. I hate people who push their atheism in others' faces.

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    I don't get why an atheist wants to kill God if he thinks God doesn't exist in the first place.

BEB
    BEB is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenna View Post
    I don't get why an atheist wants to kill God if he thinks God doesn't exist in the first place.
    To kill God for others of course.

I haven't read it so I cannot comment on the book. 1361 people gave reviews over at Amazon and from glancing it seems most who did read it didn't see it as sinister.

http://www.amazon.com/Golden-Compass...ustomerReviews

Now I want to read it so I can comment on the book directly.

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Thanks for the heads up. My family will avoid at all costs.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

trekgirl is offline Officer First Class
    I would like to read it to see what it really says. If it is anti-Christian or anti-God, then so be it. I've read plenty of anti-atheism and anti-paganism books that are just as obnoxious. I don't see this as being any different.
    What I would like to know is why our children are being made into pawns over this battle of religion? My parents had me baptized for their peace of mind, but did not push religion. I am glad for that. When I was older I was able to decide what I truly believed in, not what I had been brainwashed to believe.
    I'm not trying to offend, just MHO.

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by wacopnewbie View Post
    What I would like to know is why our children are being made into pawns over this battle of religion?
    Simply because it is usually easier to corrupt the mind of a young learning child than to try and undo the belief of a grown, convinced believer in God.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by lewisipso View Post
    Simply because it is usually easier to corrupt the mind of a young learning child than to try and undo the belief of a grown, convinced believer in God.
    Exactly! Good post.

Same reason kindergarten students are being read "I have two Daddies" and so on.

Indoctrinate them before their parents can teach the children their evil ways.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

Jks9199 is offline The Reason People Hate Cops & Causer of War
    Verified LEO
    I've read the books; they're definitely not children's books. Personally, they weren't so much anti-religion as anti-authoritarian/structured religion. The writer is an avowed atheist. But writing the Lord of Rings didn't make J.R.R. Tolkien into a neo-pagan occultist, either.

My advice to parents (free, and worth each and every penny you didn't pay!) is that if you're concerned about a book or movie, YOU read it or see it first. I'd think that most would fall into one of three general categories: 1) No way will you permit your kids to read/see it; or 2) They can see it, but only with you, and you'll talk about it afterwards; or 3) They can see it, no problems & no concerns.

Rhino is offline Meat-eater & Fire-breather
    Verified LEO
    I don't read "anti-religion" as "anti-God", although in this context, that does appear to be the case.

Atheism is a belief, like any other. And if he wishes to alliterate his belief in children's books like C.S. Lewis did, then I don't have a problem with it. It's up to the individual parent to determine whether or not their child should read or watch this.

Since I'm not Christian, I don't have issue with this. I've seen plenty of Christians who do a fine job of turning people away from Christianity and I think the church's resources should worry more about those idiots. But, that's just my opinion.

Edit: And if one book or movie (or series thereof) turns your child off to your spiritual belief system, then it was weakly placed in the child to begin with.
    "If everyone is thinking alike, then someone isn't thinking." -Gen. George S. Patton

mavriktu is offline Patrol Sgt.
    Verified LEO
    And guess what????? Our friend Snopes agrees,
    http://www.snopes.com/politics/religion/compass.asp

Willowdared is offline Bendy not Breaky
    I've read the books, and if his goal was to "kill G-d" I think he failed. If anything, he may end up achieving the opposite.

The underlying theme, is there is an element "golden dust" that is slowing disappearing because of many holes opened through the multi-dimensional world. Evil people find ways to "steal" the dust, which gives them power, but the dust gives people a spiritual connection to the living world.

The quest for two children, is to find the "subtle knife" that can both open holes to the other dimensions, but also repair them. They need to close all the holes to stop the loss of the "dust."

I thought the series was a bit intriguing, but way over-rated, and not really a "children's" book....maybe young adult.
    Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

Do not puff, shade, skew, tailor, firm up, stretch, massage,
    or otherwise distort statements of fact.
    FBI Special Agent Coleen Rowley

Thread Information