Welcome to the APBWeb.
    lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator

Arizona nuclear plant on lockdown

By CHRIS KAHN, Associated Press Writer 8 minutes ago

PHOENIX - Security officials at the nation's largest nuclear power plant detained a contract worker with a small explosive device in the back of his pickup truck Friday, authorities said. Authorities said it didn't appear to be an act of terrorism.
    The worker was stopped and detained at the entrance of the Palo Verde Nuclear Generating Station, about a half mile from the containment domes where the plant's nuclear material is stored, plant spokesman Jim McDonald said. Security officials then put the nuclear station on lockdown, prohibiting anyone from entering or leaving the facility.
    Authorities described the device as a small capped pipe that contained suspicious residue.
    Maricopa County Sheriff's Capt. Paul Chagolla said the pipe was not hidden in the truck.
    "There's no information to indicate that there's domestic terrorism at hand," Chagolla said.
    In Washington, the Department of Homeland Security also said there was no known terrorism link, and that the FBI and local law enforcement were leading the investigation.
    Sheriff's officials rendered the device safe and investigators were interviewing the man, who was originally from South Carolina, Chagolla said.
    "Our security personnel acted cautiously and appropriately, demonstrating that our security process and procedures work as designed," Randy Edington, the chief nuclear officer for plant operator Arizona Public Service Co., said in a news release.
    The detention was considered an "unusual event" the lowest of four emergencies the plant can declare, said Jim Melfi, an inspector with the U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission.
    There was no threat to the public and the station was operating normally, McDonald said.
    McDonald wouldn't say which company employed the worker. He said everyone who has access to the plant must submit to a background check.
    Workers must pass through two security checkpoints to get inside one of the plant's three containment domes, which house the radioactive material. One of the checkpoints includes an automated system that examines workers for the presence of bomb-making materials, McDonald said.
    Palo Verde is the nation's largest nuclear power plant both in size and capacity. Located in Wintersburg about 50 miles west of downtown Phoenix, the plant supplies electricity to about 4 million customers in Arizona, New Mexico, Texas and California.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

Car 4 is offline CID Chief
    Verified LEO

Very Good Work!

The guys and gals who provide security for the transport of Nukes and material are some bad ass mofo's. The troops who guard our plants are only slightly less capable. Looks like they figured this out pretty quick.

Car 4
    I would like my country back. I used to believe that one man could never destroy this country. Not so sure anymore!

Verified LEO

Jobs

Anybody looking for a pretty good job where they pay very well and train you to a razor's edge might think about getting into nuke transport.

Car 4

P.S. You won't glow in the dark when you retire.
    I would like my country back. I used to believe that one man could never destroy this country. Not so sure anymore!

nsb22 is offline Crazilicious
    Quote Originally Posted by Car 4 View Post
    Anybody looking for a pretty good job where they pay very well and train you to a razor's edge might think about getting into nuke transport.

Car 4

P.S. You won't glow in the dark when you retire.
    I am currently Nuke security . If you have any contact info for the company that does the transport stuff, I know the name just not the contact info, I would like to talk to them!

Thanks!

"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear."
    -- Ambrose Redmoon

The views and postings of NSB22 are in no way shared or supported by NSB22's employers.

Verified LEO

OK

I'll see what I can do.

Car 4

Thread Information