Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member

Talking Pet rats popularized by "Ratatouille"

It has four legs and a tail like a dog or a cat, so why shouldn't man's best friend be a...rat?
    Demand for rats as pets has surged thanks to the latest Disney/Pixar animated film "Ratatouille" featuring the adventures of a gourmet rat Remy demonstrating his culinary prowess in the top kitchens of Paris.
    Britain's Pets at Home domestic pet chain says rat sales have surged 50 percent since the film opened in Britain on October 12.
    "It's early doors yet, but it seems 'Ratatouille' has done wonders for the image of rats," said company spokesman Steve Fairburn said on the www.ukpets.co.uk Web site.

"Contrary to popular opinion, rats are actually one of the cleanest and least smelly pets you can own. They are incredibly responsive to learning and can be taught to do amazing tricks, much in the way that dogs and cats can," he added.
    Indeed, the British experience appears to have been echoed wherever the film has been screened.
    The United States reported a surge in demand for pet rats during the summer, and pet groups in Germany and Sweden have also said rat sales have surged thanks to the film.
    But they also warn that, as with demand for pet puppies and kittens that can fade once the cute factor diminishes with age, a rat is for life not just the holidays.

http://today.reuters.com/news/articl..._0_US-RATS.xml

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    I've had pet rats for years, and the article is right. They're very clean, intelligent, loving pets. My guys have all had their own personalities and tricks they like to perform, and the only bad thing about them is their short little lifespans. Anything over age three is generally considered geriatric. They're not prone to biting, and so long as they've been handled when young they're very social with people. I did a stint in a pet store, and got bitten many, many times by things like hamsters and would rather own a fully scented skunk than a golden hamster. But rats are very sweet and loving.
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

Wolven is offline Major
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Ducky View Post
    I've had pet rats for years, and the article is right. They're very clean, intelligent, loving pets. My guys have all had their own personalities and tricks they like to perform, and the only bad thing about them is their short little lifespans. Anything over age three is generally considered geriatric. They're not prone to biting, and so long as they've been handled when young they're very social with people. I did a stint in a pet store, and got bitten many, many times by things like hamsters and would rather own a fully scented skunk than a golden hamster. But rats are very sweet and loving.
    Another reason I like you Ducky! I had a few pet rats in the past when I worked as a vet nurse...they are great little pets. And I would totally agree with you about the hamsters...nasty little buggers!
    Never be afraid to do what's right, especially if the well-being of a person or animal is at stake. Society's punishments are small compared to the wounds we inflict on our soul when we look the other way" ~Martin Luther King, Jr

Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolven View Post
    Another reason I like you Ducky! I had a few pet rats in the past when I worked as a vet nurse...they are great little pets. And I would totally agree with you about the hamsters...nasty little buggers!
    My guys are ones I've rescued from pet stores where they were being sold as snake food. It's almost like they knew they had a reprieve from death row and loved me more for it.

Mice are gross though.
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson

Norm357 is offline Corporal
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    Up till a couple of years ago I had a couple of rats. I lost them both to cancer.

They were smart and very sociable. They even liked playing with the dogs.
    dlefdal said:
    Ummmm, what if I don't like thumbs in my butt?

PapaBear is offline SgtCHP-Retired
    Here is a guy who likes his so much he has dedicated a website to them..........................

http://www.mypetrat.com/

He even has a memorial to his pet rodents long since passed!
    Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence.
    [George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Quote Originally Posted by PapaBear View Post
    He even has a memorial to his pet rodents long since passed!
    No big surprise, their lifespans are so short that it's not long after you make the 'current pet' page for them, that you move them into the 'passed away' section. They're not like dogs or cats that you have for 15 or more years.
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)

Buttercup is offline Thrives in sunshine
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    "Ratatouille" was a great movie and its expression of passion for food is right on the money - so much so that I know of a food company where the entire culinary development department was required to view the film.

Street rats are vile. Pet rats are fine, but I don't think I'd have one.

Thread Information