Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Cidp24 is offline Tempus Fugit
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO

Another Weird Judge

Pants dropping, coin flipping incidents cost Virginia judge his job

RICHMOND, Virginia _ A judge who ordered a woman to drop her pants and decided a custody dispute by flipping a coin was removed from the bench by the Virginia Supreme Court on Friday.
    Juvenile and Domestic Relations Court Judge James Shull failed to uphold the dignity of the judiciary, the Surpeme Court said.
    ``Unless our citizens can trust that judges will fairly resolve the disputes brought before our courts, and treat all litigants with dignity, our courts will lose the public's respect and confidence upon which our legal system depends,'' Justice Barbara Milano Keenan wrote in the unanimous opinion.
    According to the court, Shull admitted tossing a coin to determine which parent would have visitation with a child on Christmas. Shull said he was trying to encourage the parents to decide the issue themselves but later acknowledged his action was wrong.
    ``A judge's act of tossing a coin in a courtroom to decide a legal issue . . . suggests that courts do not decide cases on their merits but instead subject litigants to games of chance in serious matters without regard to the evidence or applicable law,'' the court said.
    The pants-dropping incidents, the court said, ``were even more egregious.''
    Those incidents occurred during a hearing in which a woman was seeking a protective order against a partner she accused of stabbing her in the leg. Shull knew the woman had a history of mental problems and insisted on seeing the wound, the court said.
    The woman dropped her pants once to display the wound, then a second time after Shull left the bench for a closer look to determine whether the woman had received stitches.
    A court bailiff testified before the commission that after the hearing, he asked Shull, ``Did you see what that lady had on?''
    According to the bailiff, Shull replied: ``Yeah, a black lacy thing ... it looked good, didn't it?''
    Shull denied making the comment.

"It wouldn't take much for me to up and run...
    to another life somewhere in the sun."
    "There's something inherently wrong with having to put on a bullet-proof vest and a gun to go to work."-(An old friend)

Any statements or opinions given in my postings or profile do not reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employer or anyone else other than me. They are my personal opinions or statements only, thereby releasing my employer , any other entity, or any other person of any liability or involvement in anything posted under the username "Cidp24" on O/R.

ex401mp is offline Was betrachten Sie?
    Verified LEO
    What can you expect from a lawyer?
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American G.I.
    One died for your soul, the other for your freedom. ~ Anon

si hic carrus commovet non quaerete

RIP Scott L. Roth- Pfc 1st Platoon,401st MP Co, KIA 12/20/89- Operation Just Cause- Not forgotten.
    ALWAYS FIRST!!!

HotTamale is offline Officer First Class
    WTF!!!!! No wonder people hate the criminal justice system.
    OPD Explorer Post #2235

I never thought there was such thing as a stupid question, then I became a security officer.

Jks9199 is online now The Reason People Hate Cops & Causer of War
    Verified LEO
    As this is written, the coin flip doesn't seem that unreasonable. In fact, it's more fair than the decision typically would be in VA! Much of the time, the child goes with the mother almost reflexively. If you've got two parents arguing about one day, with nothing to decide between them... why not flip a coin? Each has an equal opportunity to get what they want.

The pants? I don't know. Seems like there are other, better ways to determine if she was really stabbed and needed stitches.

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Quote Originally Posted by Jks9199 View Post
    The pants? I don't know. Seems like there are other, better ways to determine if she was really stabbed and needed stitches.
    I should think a doctor's record would suffice for that, as I doubt she Rambo'd it and stitched it up herself.
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

Thread Information