Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Terminator is offline BANNED

Father tackles teen he thought was breaking into his house. Police arrive and arrest the father for assault.

A dad grabbed a drunken teenager he thought was trying to break into his home, handed him to police – and was arrested.
    Now Mark Goldberg fears he could lose his Ministry of Defence job if he is prosecuted.
    The head chef, who has children aged five and 15, heard a noise at the window of his townhouse at around 10.30pm. He opened the curtains and spotted the yob teetering on the window ledge.
    Mark, 38, said: “He must have jumped over railings and climbed up a drainpipe. But when I went out he tried to say he was looking for someone.”
    While his wife called police in Gravesend, Kent, Mark grappled with the teenager – who may have been attending a nearby party.
    He managed to flee but Mark chased him and marched him back to waiting cops. To his amazement they arrested HIM for assault.
    He said: “The police said the guy had a fat lip. We did tussle and fall to the ground but I didn’t hit him. He’s just making up stories and they believe him, not me. They threw me in a cell for 15 hours.”
    Mark has been told he must return to the police station on December 6. He is the latest in a string of householders to be arrested trying to protect their homes and property.
    Mark said: “This country has gone barmy. You can’t even protect your own family in your own home any more.”
    A police spokesman said: “Our investigations continue.”

Even crazier than that....what does "barmy" mean?

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    It means 'nuts', and in a few cases could mean "like the USofA's legal system"

That really is stupid though, I'd like to see more Castle Doctrine go into effect.
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

PapaBear is offline SgtCHP-Retired
    ThesaurusLegend: Synonyms Related Words Antonyms Adj.

1. barmy - marked by spirited enjoyment
    zestful, zesty, yeasty
    spirited - displaying animation, vigor, or liveliness

2. barmy - informal or slang terms for mentally irregular; "it used to drive my husband balmy"
    around the bend, balmy, bats, batty, bonkers, buggy, crackers, daft, dotty, haywire, kookie, kooky, loco, loony, nuts, round the bend, wacky, whacky, nutty, loopy, fruity, cracked
    insane - afflicted with or characteristic of mental derangement; "was declared insane"; "insane laughter"
    Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence.
    [George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

Star Man is offline Guns only have two enemies; rust and politicians
    Verified LEO
    Sounds like BS if you ask me. There has to be more to it. I would be interested to see how bad this lip really looked. Was the kid a bloody mess? If so maybe a rookie cop got it mixed up, but loitering and prowling is still a crime and the father should be off the hook.

HotTamale is offline Officer First Class
    Anyone comes to my house, they better believe they will get what is comming to them, I will not allow my fiance and myself be put in any danger.

Just my .02.
    OPD Explorer Post #2235

I never thought there was such thing as a stupid question, then I became a security officer.

Wolven is offline Major
    Verified LEO
    That is just crazy....the damn kid is lucky all he got was a fat lip.
    Never be afraid to do what's right, especially if the well-being of a person or animal is at stake. Society's punishments are small compared to the wounds we inflict on our soul when we look the other way" ~Martin Luther King, Jr

hush29 is offline Corporal
    Sounds like the parent should've picked the kid up after tackling him and chokeslamming him back to the ground. Make it worth going to jail. Hell, maybe that's what he did and the story fails to tell it.
    It's better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6.

Willowdared is offline Bendy not Breaky
    Quote Originally Posted by Ducky View Post
    It means 'nuts', and in a few cases could mean "like the USofA's legal system"

That really is stupid though, I'd like to see more Castle Doctrine go into effect.
    Looks like it happened in England.
    Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

Do not puff, shade, skew, tailor, firm up, stretch, massage,
    or otherwise distort statements of fact.
    FBI Special Agent Coleen Rowley

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Quote Originally Posted by PDawg View Post
    Looks like it happened in England.
    Yeah, it happened over the pond, but the sentiment still holds. You're not allowed to defend yourself or your home, and that's just pathetic.
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I knew this was England before moving past the headline.

"Self defense" and "castle doctrine" are long gone there and on their way out in Canada and Australia.

Only us backward folk still think it's ok to look after yourself.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

Rhino is offline Meat-eater & Fire-breather
    Verified LEO
    Anyone seen Mr. Woodcock? I'm reminded of the scene where he hits Stifler over and over again with a bat because he thought he was a burglar.

"What about when I said 'Stop, stop! It's me, John?'"
    "John's a very common name. You could have been a burglar named John."
    "If everyone is thinking alike, then someone isn't thinking." -Gen. George S. Patton

Kpdpipes is offline Master Officer
    Verified LEO
    No offense to our Imperial Bretheren that come here, but England makes the US look like it's POPULATED with Sheepdogs. Unfortunately this isnt anything new When I was over there in 1985 with CAP's exchange program, one of our host family's kids was attacked by some Punk Skinhead-type, the Constables didnt seem to care about anything opther than ensuring that the VICTIM didnt do anything like fight back. Ever since the "Danger to Burglars" Verdict a few years back, i've pretty much decided that England has begun the slide down the Slope to the ash heap of history much like the Roman Empire..Hopefully Scotland will manage to cut the ties before it is dragged away as well.

jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    I'd move.

Now.
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

Thread Information